Do you like the new changes to the C&A Points System?

EVALUATOR

Do you like the new C & A changes just announced?  

1,233 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new C & A changes just announced?

• Yes, I am satisfied.
    • Yes, it is even better than I expected.
    • Well, I can live with it, but.......(and then explain in a post on the thread)
    • Yes, the benefits are much better.
    • Yes, I have WAY more credits than I thought I would!
    • Frankly, nothing makes me happy. I am the biggest grump on Cruise Critic.
    • No. I will NEVER get to the next level now!
    • NO. Just NO. I am so sick of the whole thing. NO.

Thats not what they used for me it was 4 cruise credits *7 +1 = 29 I think it stinks. If they are going to a nights sailed system then that is how they should calculate.

And that is how they will calculate from now on, not making it retroactive. They seem to have done a fair job of keeping people at their current levels and nitpicking because you feel you have been shorted a few credits is just that "nitpicking". You can't please everyone all the time and it looks like RCI did a better job than many of us expected.

That is exactly why I am unhappy.

I like things cut and dry. Before the switch I had 4 cruise credits and had sailed 32 nights and that is the way the system worked those were the rules so be it. Now they base the points system on nights sailed I have sailed 32 nights I should have 32 points period. If the transition worked that way I would have no complaints whatsoever.

Actually, no. The way the system worked is you had 4 cruise credits. That's it. Didn't matter if you got there through suites, 3-night, 11-night 50-night, etc. They were not taking cruise points (notice they don't call them days at sea, but points) into account at all. This is how you earned it under the previous system.

The new system is converting those credits into points, in the manner they have decided to do it. From then on, it will now be cruise days being used as the primary method for obtaining new points. Your previous cruise days were not looked at by RCCL (outside of giving an extra credit for the 12+ night cruises), either in the previous system or the conversion, it is only now that they are taking them into account. So whatever number of days you sailed before this, just does not matter in their calculations.

Everyone I know to include myself that are Pinnacle have way over 700 nights at Sea.

That is not to say that someone with 100 (03) night Cruises and only 300 real nights at sea is not Pinnacle.

If they are out there; I say "good for them" ! ! ! More power to them.

Guessing you know a lot of people from Florida.

If you read my post I said MANY.

I read your post and you also said "some". If you read my post you would see that my point is that "many" needs to be quantified if your assumption that passenger levels on three and four night cruises will diminish noticeably is to prove correct. "Many" people cruise for a number of reasons and the number of cruise credits that they will receive is only one of them, and for "many" it is not the determining factor.

We are Diamond on RCCL and we are very happy to enjoy all of the perks that come along with it. Although we take many seven day or longer cruises, we are guilty of taking a couple of short ones on the road to Diamond to expedite our progress. However, we also did an eleven day Panama Canal cruise are few years ago, and we only got one credit for that. When we first started sailing on RCCL, we just liked the cruise line. It was comfortable with just the right amount of service, so we kept coming back. Somewhere along the way, we became familiar with the extra bennies from C & A. Now we like RCCL even more.

No matter how they changed the program, some folks would be unhappy. I say get over it. It's still the best loyalty program out there. I think C & A did everything they could to make it fair. We got a few extra points for the short cruises that we took, and lost a few for the longer than seven day ones. All in all we came out pretty good. We still have a four day cruise that we just got off of last week that hasn't been credited yet. We are hoping that we get the seven points for it because it was booked and sailed before the changes. We expect that C & A will be fair with that, too. I'm sure they will have to make some adjustments. There are so many C & A members to please, but I think they really try to do a good job.

I think many of the first time cruisers on the three and four day cruises have no idea about the C & A Club. These older ships just introduce them to the world of cruising. I think they will still play a large part as long as these ships are in the fleet.

RCCL we love you!! We can't wait for our Allure cruise, and I'm sure there will be one before that. I don't know if it will be a seven day one or a shorter one than that, but whatever it is, we're sure we'll enjoy it, and we will get the appropriate amount of credit. I can't see that by getting points for the number of days can be considered no credit for shorter cruises.

Everyone I know to include myself that are Pinnacle have way over 700 nights at Sea.

That is not to say that someone with 100 (03) night Cruises and only 300 real nights at sea is not Pinnacle.

I agree and on those 100 3 night cruises, seldom would there been a CL or DC on the ship they were sailing or would they be able to take advantage of a balcony discount...or see many new places ...so they earned their staus, IMHO in rather a boring way......but, no negative feelings from me.

Everyone needs to take a breath and look at how they are converting your previous CRUISE CREDITS to your new CRUISE POINTS. First off, it has nothing to do with how many nights you have cruised before or whether you cruised in a suite or not. Only one thing is used to convert you - your current CRUISE CREDITS. Period. Forget how you got to 3 or 5 or 9 or 14 or 40 or how ever many cruise credits you had. You got there and that's all that matters.

Go to the RCCL website and there is a conversion calculator in the C&A section. (Log in and go to "My Cruises" and you can see the calculator there).

RCCL's goal here was to place everyone very close to where they were previously in the Tiers system - to grandfather everyone in.

Here is what the first 10 cruise credits convert to - after 10 you can just add 7 points for every credit over 10:

1 - 8

2 - 15

3 - 22

4 - 29

5 - 38

6 - 45

7 - 52

8 - 69

9 - 76

10 - 83

If you really try to calculate your nights on your completed cruises it won't work. Just like if you compared two people with the same number of cruise credits before the conversion - chances are they got there by traveling a different number of cruise nights. Some people make out, some don't. But that's how it was BEFORE the conversion, so you really haven't been slighted. If you took a bunch of 3 or 4 night cruises, your conversion is great (just as it benefited you in Cruise Credits). And if you took a bunch of 10 or 11 nighters, it isn't very good (just as you got slighted in Cruise Credits).

For me I came out better off, I convert to 76 points (9 cruise credits) but only would have had 59 if I had earned them AFTER the switch. Nice.

There are approximately 110+/- Members with over 100 Cruises.

Everyone needs to take a breath and look at how they are converting your previous CRUISE CREDITS to your new CRUISE POINTS. First off, it has nothing to do with how many nights you have cruised before or whether you cruised in a suite or not. Only one thing is used to convert you - your current CRUISE CREDITS. Period. Forget how you got to 3 or 5 or 9 or 14 or 40 or how ever many cruise credits you had. You got there and that's all that matters.

Go to the RCCL website and there is a conversion calculator in the C&A section. (Log in and go to "My Cruises" and you can see the calculator there).

RCCL's goal here was to place everyone very close to where they were previously in the Tiers system - to grandfather everyone in.

Here is what the first 10 cruise credits convert to - after 10 you can just add 7 points for every credit over 10:

1 - 8

2 - 15

3 - 22

4 - 29

5 - 38

6 - 45

7 - 52

8 - 69

9 - 76

10 - 83

If you really try to calculate your nights on your completed cruises it won't work. Just like if you compared two people with the same number of cruise credits before the conversion - chances are they got there by traveling a different number of cruise nights. Some people make out, some don't. But that's how it was BEFORE the conversion, so you really haven't been slighted. If you took a bunch of 3 or 4 night cruises, your conversion is great (just as it benefited you in Cruise Credits). And if you took a bunch of 10 or 11 nighters, it isn't very good (just as you got slighted in Cruise Credits).

For me I came out better off, I convert to 76 points (9 cruise credits) but only would have had 59 if I had earned them AFTER the switch. Nice.

Good for you!

I think RCL did a pretty good job of getting folks to the level that they should be in.

As to those fortunate enough to live in Florida and thus be able to access cruises more easily than guys like me I am envious. Maybe one day we'll live there too but that is just not in the cards right now.

It looks like I'm in the small group that got the shaft.

Next cruise is in a suite and would have made us Diamond. Now we'll have 77 credits after its over. So we will have to jump on a 3 nighter before our Allure cruise to get to where we should have been.

That is unless Crown and Anchor will compromise and give us the three points. I feel it's the right thing to do since their people are the ones who told us we would make Diamond.

Does anyone know if cruises that were completed this past weekend will be converted into the new system?

My friend that cruised with me last week on the Freedom is Platinum with 7 cruises and just finished her 8th this past Sunday. On the website, it still shows her with just 7 completed cruises and 52 points. However she should have 69 points and 8 completed cruises after the conversion.

I know this is sounding petty, but she is coming with me on a back-to-back on the Allure this summer which should make her Diamond (69+14=83 points) and will then be able to use her Diamond balcony discount for our upcoming holiday cruise.

If she doesn't get the added points, she will have 52 points + 7 points (Freedom) + 14 points (Allure) = 73 points which would only make her Emerald and not qualify for the increased discount.

I know I should just call C&A about this but I can only imagine the headaches those poor people are going through right now with the phone calls. lol

Where have you seen that access to the CL has not been denied to D+ ?

TIER BENEFITS 175 Points Diamond Plus

Exclusive Onboard Booking Bonus1

Ultimate Value Booklet with great onboard offers

Exclusive invitation to Welcome Back Party2

SeaPass Card recognition

Priority check-in3

Private departure lounge with continental breakfast

Exclusive Top Tier Event

Robes for use onboard3

Signature lapel pin

Welcome Gift/Amenity including choice of beverage5

Milestone recognition 4

Chef's Choice Gift/Amenity

Priority wait list for Shore Excursions/VitalitySM Day Spa services

Diamond Lounge on Freedom and Oasis Class Ships

Priority departure

Exclusive Nightly Diamond Event6

Daily breakfast with specialty coffee7

Entertainment Tour8

Behind the Scenes Tours8

Personalized Gift/Amenity 9

Concierge Lounge Access15

Priority seating at theater, ice show and AquaTheater events10

Meal with an Officer for members with 340 or more cruise points2

Upgraded bathroom amenities for members with 340 or more cruise points

Bonus Gift for members with 350 or more cruise points9

Bonus Gift for members with 525 or more cruise points9

I was told, not too long ago, by two high counters (200+), that D+ should not be allowed in the Concierge Lounges and that only 100 + cruisers should be. It was just their opinion on how to solve the overcrowding problem. Personally glad they didn't get their way.

What do you think about the changes to the C&A points system?

This was supposed to be a poll, but I hit the wrong button.

Hey Merion Mom... fix it, and do a poll.

Thrilled with the new system and thats a cool poll! Did you do that or was it Merion Mom?

i went to sleep platnimum with 8 cruise credits and woke up this morning emerald with 69 points. apparently to even out the new system they gave 3 points for free to gold and 13 for free to anyone who would become emerald and above to even it out. I ended up with more amenities with the new system than the old one and either way i still had 2 credits to go to hit diamond which hasnt changed with the new system either. all in all makes it more intruiging for people to book.

If you were to take two 14 night cruises in a suite as your first 2 cruises with Royal you would end up with 56 points which in the old system as a gold member would have taken you many cruises to reach your newly attained bling bling level. ...talk about incentive

In response to the lordtimothy post asking how we know that D+ still has CL access, take a look at the RCCL website, which shows that to be the case.

Thank you for your response; but I believe I asked the Poster where they read that D+ no longer has access to the CL.

If I did not; that is what I meant to ask the Poster.

Well we're still diamonds and other than taking a bit longer to get to diamond plus everything looks okay to me.

The only real drawback is I used to get triple points for long cruises in suites-now that'll be double points.

I calculated that it'll take 5.9 years to get to D+ for us now

It is fair and equitable. The short cruises can be doubled by booking suites and the folks taking longer and more expensive cruises get rewarded properly. I am diamond and still have a ways to go for D+, but my 12 credits were converted to 97 points, so I am not complaining.

Where have you seen that access to the CL has been denied to D+ ?

TIER BENEFITS 175 Points Diamond Plus

Exclusive Onboard Booking Bonus1

Ultimate Value Booklet with great onboard offers

Exclusive invitation to Welcome Back Party2

SeaPass Card recognition

Priority check-in3

Private departure lounge with continental breakfast

Exclusive Top Tier Event

Robes for use onboard3

Signature lapel pin

Welcome Gift/Amenity including choice of beverage5

Milestone recognition 4

Chef's Choice Gift/Amenity

Priority wait list for Shore Excursions/VitalitySM Day Spa services

Diamond Lounge on Freedom and Oasis Class Ships

Priority departure

Exclusive Nightly Diamond Event6

Daily breakfast with specialty coffee7

Entertainment Tour8

Behind the Scenes Tours8

Personalized Gift/Amenity 9

Concierge Lounge Access15

Priority seating at theater, ice show and AquaTheater events10

Meal with an Officer for members with 340 or more cruise points2

Upgraded bathroom amenities for members with 340 or more cruise points

Bonus Gift for members with 350 or more cruise points9

Bonus Gift for members with 525 or more cruise points9

I was told, not too long ago, by two high counters (200+), that D+ should not be allowed in the Concierge Lounges and that only 100 + cruisers should be. It was just their opinion on how to solve the overcrowding problem. Personally glad they didn't get their way.

So what does Pinnacle get besides a lapel pin and a different colored seapass card???

I know some were campaigning for access to the Concierge Lounge sans D+ers but didn't get that, heh Herb.

What I meant to ask:

Where have you seen that access to the CL has been denied to D+ ?

Did i miss-read your statement above?

I read your post and you also said "some". If you read my post you would see that my point is that "many" needs to be quantified if your assumption that passenger levels on three and four night cruises will diminish noticeably is to prove correct. "Many" people cruise for a number of reasons and the number of cruise credits that they will receive is only one of them, and for "many" it is not the determining factor.

I said SOME were obsessed with accumulating credits. Is it necessary to dissect every word in every post? Any reasonably minded person could grasp my point. If you choose to play word games I choose to not participate. I base my opinion with cruising experience. How many three and four night cruises have you done from Florida lately?

It is fair and equitable. The short cruises can be doubled by booking suites and the folks taking longer and more expensive cruises get rewarded properly. I am diamond and still have a ways to go for D+, but my 12 credits were converted to 97 points, so I am not complaining.

Well that's the thing. Longer does NOT always equal more expensive. Particularly the repositioning/transatlantic cruises are very cheap comparing cost per day at sea. Throw in a cheap suite on them and they will be the ones who are really making out now.

If you want to do expensive, try having to cruise in the summer with multiple people in a room. *grin*

Archived