Norwegian Epic VS. Oasis of the Seas

allisons

Since I posted my Norwegian Epic report card, I've received some questions asking in comparison to Oasis of the Seas. I thought it would be interesting to do a side-by-side comparison. I searched and found a few others out there, so I assume this is of interest. Here's mine:

overall - Oasis

overall food - Oasis

Asian (Teppanyaki, Shanghai, Noodle Bar & Wasabi VS. Izumi) - Oasis

Italian (La Cucina VS. Giovanni’s Table) - Epic

Steakhouse (Cagney's VS. Chops Grille) - Oasis

Pizza (Pizza 24/7 VS. Sorrento’s Pizzeria) - Oasis

adults-only (Spice H2O VS. Solarium Bistro) - Epic

main dining room - Epic

buffet - Oasis

grill - Oasis

room service - Oasis

shows - tie

unique features - tie

adults-only pool area (Spice H2O VS. Solarium) - Oasis

wine events - Epic

overall cabins - Oasis

cabin size - Oasis

balcony size - Oasis

storage space - Epic

closets - Oasis

shelves - Oasis

drawers - Oasis

bathroom - Oasis

shower size - tie

size of sink - Oasis

overall service - Oasis

cabin steward - Oasis

specialty restaurants - Oasis

bars - Epic

Guest Relations - tie

shops - tie

photography - tie

activities - tie

Allison, no offense because you are trying to be helpful but this is just like your other post where it doesnt really give much info.

It would have been more informative for instance if you had said:

Rooms: Oasis wins BECAUSE...........

Food: Cagneys beats Chops.....BECAUSE......

That could be a lot of work though. ;)

Oh, no. I disagree. I thought the comparison was very helpful.

Something like size of sink is self explanatory. Size of balcony, likewise.

When the OP says that Chops is better than Cagneys I take it to mean he enjoyed the food in Chops more.

Thanks, OP.:)

When the OP says that Chops is better than Cagneys I take it to mean he enjoyed the food in Chops more.

Definitely some are self explanatory. I just think Allisons post has the potential to be very interesting.

Allison, no offense because you are trying to be helpful but this is just like your other post where it doesnt really give much info.

It would have been more informative for instance if you had said:

Rooms: Oasis wins BECAUSE...........

Food: Cagneys beats Chops.....BECAUSE......

That could be a lot of work though. ;)

Once again, I am so sorry! I thought this was giving more information because it was giving context comparing it to something else! I guess I was responding to those who'd already sailed on Oasis of the Seas and were looking for a comparison. Also, I thought that the reasons for the winners in each comparison were obvious and didn't require further explanation! For the cabin comparison, I broke it down into nine specific criteria. I'm not sure how much more specific I could be. For food comparison, I broke it down into comparing restaurants of the same type/style/ethnicity. The winner of each restaurant comparison was the one with better food. I'm not sure what more information I could give, but I happy to do so if you explain to me exactly what that information is. I truly want to be helpful, but I guess I need a little guidance because I seem to be unintentionally annoying you NCL folks.

You're welcome! Thank YOU!!

Epic's buffet is the best at sea, IMHO. Epic has six omelete stations for breakfast and Oasis has none. No fresh made to order omelets on Oasis. Epic also has several action stations where the chefs prepare the food to order for all three meals. IMHO, Epic wins, hands down with the buffet.

Epic has a Brazilian steak house which was not mentioned by the OP. Oasis does not have this type of dining venue but Allure does have one. From the reviews I have read about the Brazilian steak house on Allure, Epic comes out a winner for this venue also. Epic's Moderno is superb, IMHO...food quality, variety, service and atmosphere were all top notch.

how about price ? was one cheaper? what im trying to ask if even tho oasis won in alot of your report card was the epic the better cheaper deal in the end? Ive only been on one cruise NCL SKY so i enjoy reading all reviews.. And hope to travel the EPIC one day when maybe prices drop alittle but till then i travel on the other ships Like THE SUN this march..

You forgot:

The look of the ship: Oasis :)

Might be just me but I think the Epic is one of the ugliest cruise ships out.

Strangely enough, when I was onboard the ship I never once had the urge to hang over the side of the ship to see how attractive the outside looked. ;)

Epic's buffet is the best at sea, IMHO. Epic has six omelete stations for breakfast and Oasis has none. No fresh made to order omelets on Oasis. Epic also has several action stations where the chefs prepare the food to order for all three meals. IMHO, Epic wins, hands down with the buffet.

Epic has a Brazilian steak house which was not mentioned by the OP. Oasis does not have this type of dining venue but Allure does have one. From the reviews I have read about the Brazilian steak house on Allure, Epic comes out a winner for this venue also. Epic's Moderno is superb, IMHO...food quality, variety, service and atmosphere were all top notch.

But the design/layout of the buffet is awful. The lines are awful. The flow is awful. I wish all cruise ship buffets followed the design/layout of Celebrity Solstice.

I didn't mention Moderno because there is no churrascaria on Oasis. I only included restaurants if both ships had that type/style/ethnicity and I could do a head-to-head comparison. Modern was awesome. I gave it an A on my report card.

You forgot:

The look of the ship: Oasis :)

Might be just me but I think the Epic is one of the ugliest cruise ships out.

Oasis is a much better looking ship. I took side-by-side pictures of Oasis and Epic in port. What a difference! Also, the design/layout is far superior on Oasis.

how about price ? was one cheaper? what im trying to ask if even tho oasis won in alot of your report card was the epic the better cheaper deal in the end? Ive only been on one cruise NCL SKY so i enjoy reading all reviews.. And hope to travel the EPIC one day when maybe prices drop alittle but till then i travel on the other ships Like THE SUN this march..

Epic wins on price. We paid $1249 per person for a Central Park view balcony cabin on Oasis. We paid $979 for a balcony cabin on Epic. But you get what you pay for! Oasis wins for value for price paid. It's more expensive, but it's a better product. Unless someone absolutely couldn't afford it, I'd highly recommend Oasis over Epic. Or they could always get a cheaper type of cabin on Oasis.

Strangely enough, when I was onboard the ship I never once had the urge to hang over the side of the ship to see how attractive the outside looked. ;)

Yeah, but there's also a huge disparity in the attractiveness of the inside of the ships.

Epic wins on price. We paid $1249 per person for a Central Park view balcony cabin on Oasis. We paid $979 for a balcony cabin on Epic. But you get what you pay for! Oasis wins for value for price paid. It's more expensive, but it's a better product. Unless someone absolutely couldn't afford it, I'd highly recommend Oasis over Epic. Or they could always get a cheaper type of cabin on Oasis.

While I certainly believe that some cruisers will prefer Royal Caribbean to Norwegian, and hence prefer Oasis to Epic, I don't agree that Oasis is de facto a "better product".

It will doubtless be "better" for some, but not for all.

For instance, RCI MDR cuisine definitely seems to have slid down a few notches in quality over the last three or four years. I would not say that the MDR on either Oasis specifically, or the RCI fleet generally, is significantly better then Epic or NCL. I'd also echo coffeebean's comments about the buffet on Epic. NCL buffets have things like the olive bar with great Mediterranean yummies, freshly shaved squares of Parmesan cheese for the caesar salad bar, more cooked to order stations like the aforementioned omelets. A recent RCI cruise on a Voyager-class ship was astounding in that on peak port-day afternoons when thousands of hungry guests reboarded the ship after a busy day ashore, only one small section of the buffet was open - with no more than pasta, pizza, burgers, hot dogs and a depleted salad bar and dessert bar. I waited in a massive line for over half an hour to get some luke warm, poor quality chow. I've never experienced such a phenomena on Epic or any other NCL ship for that matter. So my personal experience is that NCL wins on the battle of the buffets.

I also think that Epic has more choice and diversity for specialty dining, and again that RCI (and Celebrity) are playing catch up to NCL in this regard.

It is certainly true that the staterooms on Oasis are larger and more comfortable, though keep in mind that for many guests the stateroom is just a small component of the trip as they spend most of their time out and about (in port, or on the vessel).

Epic wins the entertainment battle IMHO with RCI on the back foot trying to play catch-up (e.g. Allure and "Chicago Musical" etc.). I love that I can go completely casual, see some improv comedy with Second City, grab a beer and a burger at the neighbourhood pub, and then drum my feet to the rhythms in Fat Cats one night. Then, next night dress up a little bit more, have an elegant dinner in Le Bistro, and take-in the Blue Man group. For guests who prioritse stellar entertainment, extensive dining choices, total flexibility, and a casual onboard ambiance - Epic is a great fit.

With regard to "nickel and diming", alas it is more prevalent on all the mass market ships than any of us would like. But as a travel professional, ultimately that's an important part in differentiating for my clients the differences between Deluxe/Luxury and Contemporary/Mass Market and justifying those significant per diem differences.

Epic "nickel and dimes" for several things, but so does Oasis. Want late, late night munchies in your room? There'll be a fee for that on RCI. Want a cup cake? There'll be a folio charge for that too.

All in all I think that each ship has their strong plus points, and a good dose of "bewares". I would not however say that one ship is significantly better than the other though in terms of quality. It's more to do with the experience, and what each person is looking for and prioritising in their cruise vacation.

But the design/layout of the buffet is awful. The lines are awful. The flow is awful. I wish all cruise ship buffets followed the design/layout of Celebrity Solstice.

I didn't mention Moderno because there is no churrascaria on Oasis. I only included restaurants if both ships had that type/style/ethnicity and I could do a head-to-head comparison. Modern was awesome. I gave it an A on my report card.

I guess folks on your cruise did not understand how the flow in the Garden Cafe is supposed to work. Each "station" is it's own entity and it is not meant to be a part of one long line. You can go from station to station and not wait on any lines at all. The flow on all NCL buffets is wonderful if you use them properly. Usually, at most, there may be a couple of people waiting to be served or serving themselves at any one of the action stations so you may have to wait a moment or two.

As for the Brazilian steakhouse...Allure (sister ship of Oasis) has a Brazilian steak house and it has not been getting good reviews at all. Hope they fix whatever is wrong because one day DH and I will be cruising on Allure and hope to have a great experience dining in the Brazilian steakhouse like we did in Moderno on Epic.

Oasis is a much better looking ship. I took side-by-side pictures of Oasis and Epic in port. What a difference! Also, the design/layout is far superior on Oasis.

I absolutely LOVED Oasis but Epic has her beat with the aft balconies. Oasis has no standard balconies which face the wake. She has other ammenities such as the boardwalk and aqua park instead of cabins facing the wake. I loved Epic's totally private aft facing balcony cabin. The back of the ship is not tiered so there is no one to look down on your balcony and you can not look down on any balconies. That was WONDERFUL!

While I certainly believe that some cruisers will prefer Royal Caribbean to Norwegian, and hence prefer Oasis to Epic, I don't agree that Oasis is de facto a "better product".

It will doubtless be "better" for some, but not for all.

All in all I think that each ship has their strong plus points, and a good dose of "bewares". I would not however say that one ship is significantly better than the other though in terms of quality. It's more to do with the experience, and what each person is looking for and prioritising in their cruise vacation.

I agree. Different people will like different ships for different reasons. For example, I don't like Freestyle and I prefer the specialty restaurants and shows on Oasis. To each his own.

I guess folks on your cruise did not understand how the flow in the Garden Cafe is supposed to work. Each "station" is it's own entity and it is not meant to be a part of one long line. You can go from station to station and not wait on any lines at all. The flow on all NCL buffets is wonderful if you use them properly. Usually, at most, there may be a couple of people waiting to be served or serving themselves at any one of the action stations so you may have to wait a moment or two.

As for the Brazilian steakhouse...Allure (sister ship of Oasis) has a Brazilian steak house and it has not been getting good reviews at all. Hope they fix whatever is wrong because one day DH and I will be cruising on Allure and hope to have a great experience dining in the Brazilian steakhouse like we did in Moderno on Epic.

That's a shame that the buffet wasn't used correctly on our sailing. However, I still dislike the closed-off, chopped-up design the squares. The open design on Solstice is much better. It allows for much better flow.

I hope they improve the churrascaria on the Allure!

I absolutely LOVED Oasis but Epic has her beat with the aft balconies. Oasis has no standard balconies which face the wake. She has other ammenities such as the boardwalk and aqua park instead of cabins facing the wake. I loved Epic's totally private aft facing balcony cabin. The back of the ship is not tiered so there is no one to look down on your balcony and you can not look down on any balconies. That was WONDERFUL!

That is so true. It is a shame to lose the aft balconies on Oasis. But the aqua theater is so worth it. And it makes the Boardwalk view balconies nicer with the partial ocean view.

Hi all!

allisons ~ did you like the CP balcony on Oasis? I'm going on Epic in May & Oasis in Nov so will be able to compare myself.;) I did enjoy your report on the ships.

Can one get dressed up on Freestyle if one wishes to?

Thanks for your help.

~Jo~ :)

No, we did not. We barely used the balcony. I think we would have liked a Boardwalk view balcony better. If we ever go on Allure, that's what we'll get.

Yes, some people do dress up despite freestyle, but most do not.

Archived