Is is possible to rent a suit (NOT a tux) onboard?

paulap70

We are cruisng the Freedom in a few weeks. Usually, my husband rents a tux, pre-cruise, and when we arrive it's there, in our stateroom. This time, we're going with a group of people we barely know who happen to be company executives and board members. He has learned that none of the men are planning to rent the tux; therefore, he doesn't want to rent a tux and be the "oddball" in the group. Is it possible to rent a suit that is NOT a tuxedo from either the pre-cruise option or while onboard? I have searched the forum and did not see this particular question answered. Thank you for any insight you can provide!

We are cruisng the Freedom in a few weeks. Usually, my husband rents a tux, pre-cruise, and when we arrive it's there, in our stateroom. This time, we're going with a group of people we barely know who happen to be company executives and board members. He has learned that none of the men are planning to rent the tux; therefore, he doesn't want to rent a tux and be the "oddball" in the group. Is it possible to rent a suit that is NOT a tuxedo from either the pre-cruise option or while onboard? I have searched the forum and did not see this particular question answered. Thank you for any insight you can provide!

No.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experience/html.do;jsessionid=0000Y549ZAJ5zRyqf8YY4VHhSbr:12hbiocak?exCode=805

MM has answered you, but tell us, does he not have at least a jacket? Men do not have to wear suits on Formal Night. I've seen plenty of men wear a jacket, tie, and pants.

Also, for what it's worth, I think he will look dashing in his tux. Why would it matter that no one else is wearing one? Sincerely asking. If present company includes company executives and board members, I'm sure he will not be an "oddball" for wearing a tux. JMO. :)

I know you can't get a typical "business" suit but we rented on Freedom for our oldest son what the tailor called a formal suit. He didn't want the normal tails and bow tie tux and the tailor suggested this. It came with the usual black pants and jacket, a white shirt, a vest of your choice, and a matching tie.

MM has answered you, but tell us, does he not have at least a jacket? Men do not have to wear suits on Formal Night. I've seen plenty of men wear a jacket, tie, and pants.

Also, for what it's worth, I think he will look dashing in his tux. Why would it matter that no one else is wearing one? Sincerely asking. If present company includes company executives and board members, I'm sure he will not be an "oddball" for wearing a tux. JMO. :)

Oh, yes, he has a closet full of suits, sportcoats, etc. as this is his daily attire for work. We were just hoping to avoid having to take all of the extras that go with suit/sportcoat, like shoes, two dress shirts, etc. We have been on a lot of cruises (Diamond) and have always rented the tux for convenience. He has recently started a new job and has learned others are bringing along their dress clothes and not renting. I think he looks great in a tux, but he's a bit leary of being "new" and then also "sticking out" in a tux. I guess I can see his point. I was just hoping that maybe they'd offer a toned down version of a tux.

We usually take care of it all ahead of time before we leave, but I also remember that once onboard, they also seem to be advertising rental from the ship. I didn't know if that was something different than the pre-cruise rental package at the website or just an extension of it. Or if there was something more "toned down" available. Doesn't seem to be.

Thanks for your help, though.

I know you can't get a typical "business" suit but we rented on Freedom for our oldest son what the tailor called a formal suit. He didn't want the normal tails and bow tie tux and the tailor suggested this. It came with the usual black pants and jacket, a white shirt, a vest of your choice, and a matching tie.

Was this something you did ahead of time or once onboard? Thanks!

Janamb81, my DH rents a tux and it never has tails so I'm assuming that's what is meant by formal suit which is really still a tux. The tuxes onboard come with a jacket, pants, shirt, tie, vest and/or cumberbund. They are really just formal suits. I've never seen tails rented onboard so I'm not sure why you think what your son got was different than a tux? Look at the link posted by Merion Mom. RCI doesn't rent out tails.

Years ago, we used a company called Cruise Line Formal Wear. It was simple. You went to a local tux shop and got your measurements then called or emailed them in to that company. When you arrived, your tux and all accessories were in your room. It looks like the cruise line has taken over this part of the business because when I checked Cruise Line Formal's website, you can still get everything, but they mail it to your house instead of having it on the ship. To me, that really defeats the purpose because if we would choose to use this, we'd have to pack all of this in my suitcase! But, I see that they DO offer the casual suit option which RCCL does NOT offer! Frustrating! Oh well. We'll make do.

Rent a suit??????...NO

I can see that your DH might feel uncomfortable if he was in a tux w/ the traditional bow tie and cummerbund. What he can request is a tie and vest set instead. The tie looks like a regular men's tie. Also, have him ask for a lay down collar on his shirt instead of the wing collar. BTW, his coworkers may not be renting tuxes because they may already own their own.

Archived