What would you do with only $2000 (incl airfare)

skyw

Hi

We only have a $2000 budget for the 2nd week in march. Airfare is about 700-800. So that leaves about $1300 for 3 people. (2 adults 1 kid). What cruise would you do??/Or would you??

Thanks

I don't live in Tx anymore!!! Sorry guys. I have tried to change that many times! I live in Columbus Indiana. :)

That doesn't seem to leave very much at all for excursions/onboard spending (if you do that kind of stuff). March is also spring break time where cruises start getting more expensive.

If you live in Texas, why not drive down to Galveston (use the Friday night/Saturday before departure to drive) and save the airfare? Use that extra money to have a good time. Get an inside or outside stateroom to save even more.

That doesn't seem to leave very much at all for excursions/onboard spending (if you do that kind of stuff). March is also spring break time where cruises start getting more expensive.

If you live in Texas, why not drive down to Galveston (use the Friday night/Saturday before departure to drive) and save the airfare? Use that extra money to have a good time. Get an inside or outside stateroom to save even more.

They won't be taking a Royal Caribbean cruise if they do that. :)

You are closer than Dallas.

So drive down, spend the night,

you can get a inside for under $1500

or a Ocean view for just over $1600

Now that is before taxes and port.

But you can see where we are comming from.

YES Voyager is out of Galveston.

We have her booked in April.

:rolleyes:

Hi

We only have a $2000 budget for the 2nd week in march. Airfare is about 700-800. So that leaves about $1300 for 3 people. (2 adults 1 kid). What cruise would you do??/Or would you??

Thanks

I don't live in Tx anymore!!! Sorry guys. I have tried to change that many times! I live in Columbus Indiana. :)

So, are you talking about airfare to Florida?

Try the Radiance out of Tampa.

Hi

Thanks

If you are looking at the 2nd week in March, I would opt for a vacation other than a cruise. We cruised on March 8th last year and found ourselves on a ship with tons of college Spring Breakers! We vowed never to cruise in March again. The more affordable cruise you find... the higher chances of large amounts of college students. If youre okay with that, than go for it. But, I wouldn't do it!

I think OP stated she lived in Indiana...possible to drive, but not close and not a fun drive (and almost as costly as flying with gas/hotel, etc). I think I would look at the 4 or 5 days. Tampa is a good option (I'm looking there myself). I also saw some great prices on celebrity for that timeframe for their 4 or 5 days out of Miami. Depending on the port (ie. Cozumel) you don't need any excursions. You can get a cab to the beach and have a great day hanging out!

9 or 12 night on the Explorer out of Jersey. Usually good airfare deals for Newark. We just got back from the 12 night in Dec and had a blast. Little older ship but the staff was wonderful.
The cheapest cabin fare for the week they want to go is more than their total budget.

Hi

Thanks

Five night Navigator or Radiance are probably your best bets.

Navigator is the cruise we took last year in March that was terrible. It's affordable and goes to Cozumel (think drinking).... there were tons of spring breakers: whole fraternaties and sororities.
With their budget and when they need to go, having to deal with spring breakers is pretty much a given whatever they do.

Hi

Thanks

Hi fellow Hoosier - Columbus IN is a lovely town! :) It's not too bad of a drive to Pt Canaveral (saves $) and Monarch has 4 day cruises. Although she is a smaller/older ship, we absolutely loved our (first) cruise on her last May! I know what it's like to have kids and a budget while traveling - but it can still be a wonderful trip. Our (grown) kids always say they never realized we were "on a budget" when we traveled because we made sure we came up with lots of fun/low cost things to do - and having internet now makes that even easier. Maybe get to port a day early and do some free sight-seeing in the area - Manatee Sanctuary, the Locks etc. Have a great vacation - whatever you decide to do! :)

If it was me I would give up on the idea of sailing RCCL. I would drive to Baltimore and take a 7 day cruise on the Carnival ship that leaves out of there.

Or the Enchantment of the Seas :confused: :confused: :confused:

(but I wouldn't drive from Indiana to Baltimore for all the tea in China! :eek:)

Hi

Thanks

Wanna re-think those suggestions folks? :cool:

Hi

Thanks

:)

First look for cruiselines that have children sailing for free or reduced rates!

Second look for less expensive airfare!

Good Luck

Or the Enchantment of the Seas :confused: :confused: :confused:

(but I wouldn't drive from Indiana to Baltimore for all the tea in China! :eek:)

Just curious, why not? Our first cruise was on Grandeur out of Baltimore, and we drove from Ohio the day of the cruise. Left about 5 am and were on board by 2. OP is about 2 hours further, but it's definitely doable the day before a cruise.

Would I do that again? No, but that is only because we have since learned how much we like getting on board earlier. But the drive was not bad at all.

Then again, we are pretty much "road warriors"...can make it from southern Ohio to either Minneapolis or eastern TX in a day!

I don't see how any other option is viable. Enchantment 9 day is going to eat up the whole budget. Baltimore is the closest port; 9 or 10 hours away and the you can do ocean-view with enough left over for excursion, drinks, tipping and all the extras.

I drove from Northern NJ to South Bend a couple of years ago, it was an easy drive.

Archived