Do you call it a 'cabin' or 'state room'?

sej67

State room seems to be the more common term. But I imagine especially for older travelers who've been on tons of cruises, they may still refer to it as a cabin out of habit. I usually say cabin, and my first cruise was in '03.

State room seems to be the more common term. But I imagine especially for older travelers who've been on tons of cruises, they may still refer to it as a cabin out of habit. I usually say cabin, and my first cruise was in '03.

I usually call it a cabin, if only because it's easier to type :)

At 26, not sure I qualify for the "older travelers" category, but I definitely qualify for the "lazy typist" category.

I second "cabin" as well. I've noticed that our RCL concierge referred to our "stateroom" and our X concierge always confirmed our "cabin". Both were suites, so not sure what that means.

During my time with the Navy, all the CO stayed in "in port cabin" adjacent to the bridge. Some Command Officers had individual "cabins", while others had crew cabins with multiple sailors, depending on ship class.

Not sure you can go wrong either way... cabin is easier to type...

--a

As old timers we say cabin but will use stateroom where preferred. We learned a very long time ago never to refer to it as a "room" for that brings on frowns big time. Just like, "Ship" never boat, "Forward never front and "Aft" never back. Port and Starboard are probably no clearer than left and right for it all depending just you are at the moment. There must be others...

'Cabin' despite the lack of a field stone fireplace and bear skin rug.

Depending on the type of cruise, there could be a bear passed out on the floor. :rolleyes:

Personally, don't have a preference and I use it interchangeably in conversation. But agree that cabin is easier for this format.

@ Bundles -- Have a great time on the Summit when you sail in May. Was on it just last month and had a great time.

This is a great question.......and yes I am one of the old guys that use to say stateroom when ships were ships and not floating hotels.

I looked back at old cruise documents and the term cabin is on most of them. Some baggage tags have Stateroom (Holland America), yet most list cabin.

Oceania in their latest brochure refer to the non suites as staterooms. Seabourn uses the term cabin.

Gee, back on Noahs ark we called them stalls:D:D:D

Terminology....a funny thing. I love it when I go up to a crew member amd ask them where the nearest head is. Some say what, and I have had a few say...on top of your shoulders. If I find an officer that does not know what a head is on a ship:confused:.......then I become a beyotch:p.

We cruise on Cunard & they always refer to them as staterooms. Probably goes back to the "oceanliner" past.

Guess I owe you a cup of coffee......or a red bull and vodka or a Cosmo.....Due compensation:p

You cute studmuffins...probably call them you love nest...or maybe aerobic rooms........now say yes so I can lose my beverage:D:D:D

HA! I usually travel alone or with friends... never been on a cruise with a lover or a partner. I have a habit of calling my cabin by it's number simply because when I'm somewhat intoxicated, it helps me to remember where I need to be :)

So on the Caribbean Princess, it had the beautiful name of A750 - sexy huh?

Archived