What constitutes buffet line-cutting?

Julitta

and sometimes the condiments are not in the correct places. You have passed them when you get your food.

You got that right. I remember on Dream at the Burger place they put the condiments at the beginning of the line. You got to the end of the line where they gave you a burger and had to muddle through people waiting to put your ketchup and mustard on. It was ridiculous. I think they may have fixed it as I don't recall it the second time I was on the ship.

I have gone back for silverware. It doesn't slow anything down. I would step in to get something if the line hasn't gotten that far yet. It doesn't slow down the line. I would never go to the head of the line where you begin to get food and just step in front of someone.

Last year a woman walked up with a tray, silverware and plate and stepped right in front of me. I said "Maam the line starts back there". It was a LONG line. Probably 20 - 25 people behind me. She said in a very emphatic voice, " I am 65 years old and I'm not waiting in that line" WELL !!! I looked at her and said " Lady I am 66 years old and you are NOT cutting in front of me. If someone back there wants to let you in front of them then give it a go." She stepped away with a big "hmmfff" People behind me began clapping. A couple people said she had been doing that all week and no one had called her on it.

That my friends is TRYING to cut in line.

I have gone back for silverware. It doesn't slow anything down. I would step in to get something if the line hasn't gotten that far yet. It doesn't slow down the line. I would never go to the head of the line where you begin to get food and just step in front of someone.

Last year a woman walked up with a tray, silverware and plate and stepped right in front of me. I said "Maam the line starts back there". It was a LONG line. Probably 20 - 25 people behind me. She said in a very emphatic voice, " I am 65 years old and I'm not waiting in that line" WELL !!! I looked at her and said " Lady I am 66 years old and you are NOT cutting in front of me. If someone back there wants to let you in front of them then give it a go." She stepped away with a big "hmmfff" People behind me began clapping. A couple people said she had been doing that all week and no one had called her on it.

That my friends is TRYING to cut in line.

Good one! A perfect answer :D

How about cutting a line driving in a Jazzy, running over my foot and then the nerve to get off the Jazzy to get your food. Somehow they managed to get themselves off the Jazzy to eat. I won't even go anywhere else with this because I'll just get myself in trouble.

This really depends on how packed the buffet line is. If there is a space between the item you want and the next person in the buffet line picking at stuff, there is no harm jumping in to grab something quickly. However, if it is a packed line, I go to the beginning.

Edited by Pete C

How about cutting a line driving in a Jazzy, running over my foot and then the nerve to get off the Jazzy to get your food. Somehow they managed to get themselves off the Jazzy to eat. I won't even go anywhere else with this because I'll just get myself in trouble.

I hope this isn't throwing fuel on an unstarted fire but, I don't have a Jazzy (thats next on my needs list) but I occasionally need a wheelchair. I can't walk long distances due to back problems but I can stand in the buffet line. But I wouldn't jump line. Whether Jazzy, wheelchair, or my own two feet, I won't cut line. When I need to walk the whole length of the ship I usually need to sit 4-5 times during that walk. If I have my wheelchair it gets folded and placed against a wall then I get in line.

Maybe this person has a similar problem. They should have taken some maneuvering lessons before using it on a crowded ship for crying out loud.

I will probably get flamed for this, however.....

At breakfast this morning I was stuck behind one of those Mommys who felt the need to discuss every minute detail of every item on the buffet with her kid. She started with the cereal. I did not want any cereal, nor did I want to hear her 5 minute dissertation on fruit loops and raisin bran, so I moved past them. They were still discussing the cereal after I filled my plate and headed back to the table.

Sometimes the line just needs to be cut.

I will probably get flamed for this, however.....

At breakfast this morning I was stuck behind one of those Mommys who felt the need to discuss every minute detail of every item on the buffet with her kid. She started with the cereal. I did not want any cereal, nor did I want to hear her 5 minute dissertation on fruit loops and raisin bran, so I moved past them. They were still discussing the cereal after I filled my plate and headed back to the table.

Sometimes the line just needs to be cut.

I don't view this as cutting, though. I see this as you DID stand in the line and you're just keeping the line moving while allowing others to take their time. As long as you stood in line and didn't actually just walk up and break in front of others who've been there for five minutes because you don't want to stand in line, I view what you did as a kindness and service to the others behind you just wanting to grab a pancake, sausage and syrup and get on with it. :D:o

The only time I personally feel that "jumping" the line is justifiable is in the grill area. I don't feel I should have to wait behind ten people that want burgers when all I want is fries and chicken fingers. I always however ask everyone if they're in line for burgers before I step around them.

I definitely have no problem going around people. Especially at the grill. If they're waiting for a cheeseburger and all I want is some self-serve fries, then I take my tray and go right around them. Same as another poster at the Salad Bar. If I get behind someone who meticulously must sift through every topping and pick and choose certain pieces of lettuce, and all I want is some lettuce cheese and dressing, then I'm going around you!

And in all fairness, if roles are reversed, I always tell the person behind me to go on around me.

I agree !

I can't believe there is a 5 page thread about line cutting.

Wow.

Just wondering why you even looked and bothered to post in this thread....... if you are bothered by how many people are giving their answers to a question?

I definitely have no problem going around people. Especially at the grill. If they're waiting for a cheeseburger and all I want is some self-serve fries, then I take my tray and go right around them. Same as another poster at the Salad Bar. If I get behind someone who meticulously must sift through every topping and pick and choose certain pieces of lettuce, and all I want is some lettuce cheese and dressing, then I'm going around you!

And in all fairness, if roles are reversed, I always tell the person behind me to go on around me.

Amen, sister! Unbelievable how uptight some people are.

Recently I played where is the butter. Left my plate and drink on the table, went back to get the butter, the line was solid so I got in it and waited until I found the butter. Got back just in time to find a crew member clearing everything from the table. Back to the line again. Next time I will ask politely if I can just reach in to get the one piece of butter.

Just wondering why you even looked and bothered to post in this thread....... if you are bothered by how many people are giving their answers to a question?

I'm not bothered by people are giving their opinions, answers, whatever. I just find it amazing that after 5 pages people are still debating whether line cutting, passing the slow people, etc.

I admit I will line cut for seconds if there is a huge gap in the buffet. I am also a vegetarian so I will always go around people getting tons of bacon or waiting for whatever meat they want. I won't cut if it is super crowed, just if there is a huge gap, which there usually is near the fruit station.

I admit I will reach for butter, or some little item if I have forgotten a small item and am done. And I will indicate that. And thank them.

Don't have trouble allowing someone to reach for that type of condiment. etc

I do think that if someone is taking a very long time arranging their danish etc..and there is a big gap, I will choose the passing lane if they go on like that from display plate to plate. (With as much food that goes to waste with people piling it on...sheesh...)

AND if I am taking too long with the fruit etc and you are heading for the cereal..fine.

I wonder if the big line cutters are men? women? by age group?

For me personally, if your "cutting" in line slows anyone else then it is a problem. If no one has to wait because of the "cutting" then who cares? I've handed boxes of cereal to people outside the line as that is all they wanted or forgot. If it is the last one and Carnival doesn't replace it, then that is Carnival's fault. At least that the way I see it. :D

And yes anyone over 90 should go straight to the head of line. They have earned it!

A few people have asked for more stanctions or railings to keep the lines orderly... I see that as a disaster. Hear me out...

How far away should the railing be, in order to be far enough from the counter to accept wheelchairs, but close enough to keep out the cutters? I see it as just one more obstacle to moving safely, especially in rough seas.

We'd all be complaining that the maze of railings and ropes would make us feel like mice in a maze, or trapped in the queue at Disneyworld.