Snorkelind advice for day in Bonaire

lvs

Hi,

I posted this on Bonaire Talk as well but though there might be different users here. I have read so many posts and am still confused what to do. My husband and I leave next week on our cruise. I enjoy snorkeling but am not a good swimmer and tend to be most comfortable close to shore so that I can come in whenever I've had enough, especially since I tend to get cold if I stay in too long (I usually wear a vest). I am uncomfortable with current so prefer a protected area.

To add to this my husband gave up snorkeling a number of years ago because of leakage in his mask as he wears a beard and mustache. So I'm on my own. I have taken boat tours in recent years only to get into the water and find the conditions choppy and unpleasant. That is my concern about going on the Woodwind plus perhaps being in the water too long. I also contacted Renee. She has available a 2-location snorkel but she said one site is in deeper water. Other alternatives include the ship's beginning beach snorkel at Windsock or just spend the day at Plaza Resort if that is easy to be close to shore and see a lot and my husband can spend time on a lounge chair (if there is shade!). I either leave him for a few hours and do something organized or we do something together where there is a beach and shade and chairs to sit on. We could rent a car if that is a better option.

Sorry this is long - I really don't want to leave Bonaire without snorkeling as all reports indicate how wonderful it is but I also don't want to put myself under stress to do it either. What advice can you give me? Thanks for your help!

Hi, Perhaps I could help.

Okay--I also have beard and moustache and also asthma--so no snorkling for me!!! but also no reason for us to be "apart" or for my nearest and dearest Jean to miss out on the fun. She is not too strong a swimmer and sometimes lacks confidence but loves to snorkel in not too deep water.

This 13th Jan past we were pre-booked with Woodwind along with a fellow passenger of the Sea Princess. Were told on the day that due to insufficient numbers Woodwind was delaying the trip until 12noon to give themselves time to seek extra customers.

Sorry but a deal is a deal to me--we told them no way to treat customers.

Instead and there on the dock side was "Glass bottom boat tour"--$25 per person--10am till 12-30 WE highly reccommend it. Boat sailed to Klein Bonair--on way saw turtles and many fish and much coral( through glass bottom) --were accompanied by a few dolphins part of the way.

Anchored off Klein and Jean and others snorkled safely and under supervision. Three of us stayed on the boat.

Lunch on the ship on return and then a stroll around beautiful bonaire

cheers

Lawrence

Hi, I also contacted Renee. She has available a 2-location snorkel but she said one site is in deeper water. Other alternatives include the ship's beginning beach snorkel at Windsock or just spend the day at Plaza Resort if that is easy to be close to shore and see a lot and my husband can spend time on a lounge chair (if there is shade!). !

We just went with Renee last week on a 2 snorkel trip. The Plaza Resort (that day, anyway) was the deeper water. I'm afraid of deep water, although with a guide I think I'd be fine, now; anyway, I didn't find it scary deep. I too usually wear a vest (I always surprise myself when I realize I was comfortable enough to forget it). Rather than have her take us back to the ship, we just stayed at the Plaza and snorkeled for another 2 hours! Highlights were an octopus that entertained us for quite a while, and large French angelfish that were more curious about us than we were them! And Renee showed me the most adorable baby sargeant majors--an entire school of them!

When with Renee, we entered the water at the Plaza from the pier ladder. The steps are wooden and can be slippery, but there are handrails, so you should be fine. When Renee left us and we went back in, we entered from the beach at the other end. That was not such an easy entry and exit--certainly doable, but I slid on my b*** til I got to deeper water, and vice versa. It's not as sandy as it looks. I'm not sure if there was an easier entry/exit somewhere else along the beach.

Thanks Lawrence for the idea. I contacted the glass bottom boat company and they seem very nice. That is a good option that my husband is considering because it is so fairly priced, compared to the $59 just for me that HAL wants for the 2 1/2 hour Windsock trip, unless that is a particularly special place to snorkel. We could have lunch afterwards on the ship then walk or taxi to the Plaza for a couple hours in the afternoon, although we have to be back on the ship at 4:30 so it would be tight. Maybe I could squeeze a quick snorkel in there in the afternoon.

Mytime 53 - did you feel that your time with Renee vs snorkeling on your own at the Plaza made a big difference? I wouldn't have my husband with me so I wouldn't stay on which seems a waste. Was the deep water where all the best fish were? Is it a distance from shore? I don't mind the depth as much as I worry about the distance back to shore! I'm OK with the ladder to get in. Did you need booties on the excursion with Renee as I don't have them and would have to locate them asap.

Mytime 53 - did you feel that your time with Renee vs snorkeling on your own at the Plaza made a big difference? I wouldn't have my husband with me so I wouldn't stay on which seems a waste. Was the deep water where all the best fish were? Is it a distance from shore? I don't mind the depth as much as I worry about the distance back to shore! I'm OK with the ladder to get in. Did you need booties on the excursion with Renee as I don't have them and would have to locate them asap.

Well, your husband could meet you there--it was an easy walk back to the ship from there and then you could stay. A pass to use the facilities was $10, but when we offered to pay, the girl told us that if we were just snorkeling and didn't mind laying our things on the rocks instead of on a chair, we didn't need to pay. So for you and your husband it would be $20 to have lounge chairs, etc.

We were never a distance from shore. My only thought is that I'm not sure you could get into shore in all spots, but that's easily solved by staying near the pier.

I loved having Renee with us for part of the time so that we could get fish IDed (I'm one of those people who enjoys it more if I know what I'm looking at). We saw things with her we wouldn't have seen on our own, and also saw things on our own (just because we traveled more distance and had longer) that we didn't see with her.

Between the 2 snorkel sites, she showed us flamingoes, too. A highlight for the couple on our tour who hadn't seen them in the wild before.

Thanks everyone for all of the advice! The owner of the glass bottom boat turned out to be a jerk. After telling us we could go for the price noted in the previous post he told us that he had a contract with HAL and we could only book through them (at double the price for less time!). Fat chance...

I have finally decided to snorkel with Renee and stay at the Plaza resort afterwards as suggested. Our friend's husband is joining me (he's never snorkeled before but thought he would give it a try).

I would like to mention that Ulf from Woodwind went out of his way to try and accommodate our group of 4. My friend has health issues and just didn't want to try it. I hope others who are "on the fence" with that excursion give him a try. I don't think anyone could be nicer.

Linda

I think you'll have a great time! The attached pictures are 3 of my favorite memories from that stop. The angelfish kept returning to us, and swimming right up to our faces. We watched the octopus for the longest time--he kept turning colors, and unlike the others we've seen, looked like more than just a blob.

82724329_Frenchangelfish.jpg.74027d7b95ccf12b5a5c8bf96aa01608.jpg

45363344_octopus1.jpg.3fd258088c4ae2e5d7df0d16bbec170f.jpg

759869312_octopus2.jpg.b93817d3b0b2d127e22eec5b73e05245.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have never snorkeled before and would love to try- is snorkeling at woodwind in Bonaire good for first-timers?

Woodwind is an excellent operator, but I'd recommend Renee for a first timer. Woodwind's boat goes to Klein Island where the currents can be challenging.

With Renee, all entries are from shore and near shallow water. Much easier for a newbie.:)

http://www.infobonaire.com/reneesnorkeltrips/

Woodwind is an excellent operator, but I'd recommend Renee for a first timer. Woodwind's boat goes to Klein Island where the currents can be challenging.

With Renee, all entries are from shore and near shallow water. Much easier for a newbie.:)

http://www.infobonaire.com/reneesnorkeltrips/

Hi, I have already booked Woodwind for April cruise. I am not a good swimmer and have only snorkeled once, my husband is a strong swimmer and has more snorkeling experience. Would Renee be a better fit for us but still give my husband a good experience? I wasn't sure what drift snorkeling was-would it be difficult for me being a weak swimmer? Thanks for any info.

Hi,

I posted this on Bonaire Talk as well but though there might be different users here. I have read so many posts and am still confused what to do. My husband and I leave next week on our cruise. I enjoy snorkeling but am not a good swimmer and tend to be most comfortable close to shore so that I can come in whenever I've had enough, especially since I tend to get cold if I stay in too long (I usually wear a vest). I am uncomfortable with current so prefer a protected area.

To add to this my husband gave up snorkeling a number of years ago because of leakage in his mask as he wears a beard and mustache. So I'm on my own. I have taken boat tours in recent years only to get into the water and find the conditions choppy and unpleasant. That is my concern about going on the Woodwind plus perhaps being in the water too long. I also contacted Renee. She has available a 2-location snorkel but she said one site is in deeper water. Other alternatives include the ship's beginning beach snorkel at Windsock or just spend the day at Plaza Resort if that is easy to be close to shore and see a lot and my husband can spend time on a lounge chair (if there is shade!). I either leave him for a few hours and do something organized or we do something together where there is a beach and shade and chairs to sit on. We could rent a car if that is a better option.

Sorry this is long - I really don't want to leave Bonaire without snorkeling as all reports indicate how wonderful it is but I also don't want to put myself under stress to do it either. What advice can you give me? Thanks for your help!

We recently came back from Boniare and can easily say that Woodwinds was the best snorkelling trip I have ever been on. We stopped at two different areas and did drift snorkelling both times. Since you are basically following the current, it doesn't take much effort. The guides are extremely knowledgable and swim down to point out many different fish and turtles.

One thing that they will tell you is that at any time, you get tired or need to stop for any reason they will bring the boat along to pick you up. My sister got tired during the second trip and we went back to the boat while the rest finished up.

Of course, if you go with Woodwinds, your husband will be on his own for the day unless he arranges to go along for the sail. It is an all day trip.

I've also read that there is good snorkelling off Klein Bonaire island which can be gotten too by water taxi.

Archived