Wine Tasting for CC group--how to arrange

rayison

Hello,

I am organizing a wine tasting for over 60 people (from our roll call) on an upcoming cruise. Every couple is bringing a bottle of wine. I need some guidance on how to arrange a location and some appetizers for this gathering. Is there some way I can get this arranged with Celebrity prior to our cruise? Has anyone been involved in something like this on prior cruises?

Thank you for your help,

Ray

Hello,

I am organizing a wine tasting for over 60 people (from our roll call) on an upcoming cruise. Every couple is bringing a bottle of wine. I need some guidance on how to arrange a location and some appetizers for this gathering. Is there some way I can get this arranged with Celebrity prior to our cruise? Has anyone been involved in something like this on prior cruises?

Thank you for your help,

Ray

Hi Ray:) that is ALOT of people....basically you want to have your

own wine tasting? I would say go to the event coordinator own board

because this sounds like something that would need its on venue.

What ship are you going on? You are going to need wine glasses

for 60 as well and food.....yes, I would say speak with the Event

Coordinator. Not sure what they do for something like this but maybe

someone has done it before and can help with first hand information.

Hi Lois..Thanks for responding. I am on the May Transatlantic Equinox cruise. Can't wait. I read a post of someone else who had done their own wine tasting before and thought I would ask if any of our Roll Call group wanted to do it. We have a really active roll call for this voyage and alot of people showed interest. I will see if others can help as well.

Thanks again.

Hello,

Thank you for your help,

Ray

That's not a very good amount of wine for that many people - it would be about 12 ml or 3/8 of an ounce per person, not enough to really get a taste from. I have organized several tastings (on land, so can't help with the logistics of what you are doing) and the standard recommendation from wine educators is 20 to a maximum 22 people per bottle. You may want to rethink how you are doing it.

That's not a very good amount of wine for that many people - it would be about 12 ml or 3/8 of an ounce per person, not enough to really get a taste from. I have organized several tastings (on land, so can't help with the logistics of what you are doing) and the standard recommendation from wine educators is 20 to a maximum 22 people per bottle. You may want to rethink how you are doing it.

With 60 people/30 couples, that's 30 bottles of wine. I wouldn't expect everyone to taste all 30 wines.

I'm not sure about all the details, but it was done successfully on the Equinox TA in 2009 in coordinating with the ship.

We're going to do something similar on our Eclipse TA this October. Our cruise director, Monica, will be orchestrating the event, and I'll volunteer to help. :)

Hello,

60 people .. Every couple is bringing a bottle of wine.

that to me is 1/2 bottle each

so how do you get...

it would be about 12 ml or 3/8 of an ounce per person, not enough to really get a taste from..

????????

or did you mean 2 & half teaspoons of each wine..each..because no way everyone would try every wine..

but to the op..it sounds like it will COST you to arrange it..

I have participated in two of these (one on Century and one on Equinox); the one of Equinox I co-hosted with another person from the Roll Call. She gets credit for doing the logistical planning though; I believe she contacted the social hostess prior to the cruise and we were assigned a day, time and location (Sky Observation lounge). They waived the corkage fee for us and supplied wine glasses, but would not provide servers. We had a very good turn out; everyone was instructed to either bring a bottle of wine from their home region, or just any bottle if they were not able to travel to port with the wine from their home area.

On Century it did not go as smoothly, but worked out in the end. I was not the organizer for that one, but at first they were insisting on having us pay the $25 corkage fee. The Captain himself showed up to our Connections Party and said if we needed anything, let him know. Somebody brought up the wine tasting party and he said he would make it happen. They wound up giving us Michael's Club and again provided wine glasses, but it was self-serve. What was funny about that one, was it turned out there was a Friends of Bill meeting scheduled for the same room immediately after our wine tasting party (we did not know this at the time). Towards the end of our hour some people started trickling in for the Friends of Bill meeting while we still were finishing off the wine.

If someone on your roll call has contact information for the social hostess, that is the best place to start. If not talk to them on board and/or bring it up at the Connections Party if all else fails.

Good luck, both of the parties I participated in were so much fun.

that to me is 1/2 bottle each

so how do you get...

????????

or did you mean 2 & half teaspoons of each wine..each..because no way everyone would try every wine..

Yes, the latter. It is enough wine as a whole, but there won't be enough of each to go around. I assume, maybe incorrectly, that people doing a wine tasting are there to sample wine - at least that's why I go to them.

. I assume, maybe incorrectly, that people doing a wine tasting are there to sample wine - at least that's why I go to them.

it just sounds more like a fun get together to me, because they can't purchase any of the wine on the day(as it's been brought from home etc..)

I would probably just drink my half of what I took, to make sure I actualy got some!!:p:rolleyes:

Thank you everyone. Yes, this is not a "serious" wine tasting. It is an excuse for getting together and having some fun. Gonzo70, I will check with Celebrity and see if I can get a hold of the hostess ahead of time. Cheers!

i'd be inclined to break it into sections. maybe big, bold reds; dry whites, and maybe a third category. Or maybe by price point such as big spender, budget finds, moderate priced tastes. that would break the people into smaller groups to allow enough wine for the folks in the groups. If extra remains, other could sample.

Last year we sailed with a group of 32 people (16 couples) onboard Equinox and planned ahead for a wine tasting session. Each couple brought 2 bottles of wine. We held it in Michaels Club and the onboard group coordinator was a big help. We did have to pay $25 per bottle corkage fee. We tried to plead our case but were told that if the wine was consumed outside of our stateroom or balcony the corkage fee would apply. In the end it was a blast for $25 per person and we got to try some great wine!

Archived