Copies of passports?

I've read where savvy travelers make copies of their passports and keep them in various places so they will never be totally devoid of one, like in luggage, with a friend, at home, etc. They claim that a copy is what they would take ashore with them vs. the real McCoy.

What would constitute a legitimate copy of a passport? It's an official document, of course. Seems like throwing it on the Xerox might not make it official in some eyes.

All we did was make copies on a copier of the page that has our picture and other information. We carry one of these, actually we each carry our own as well as the other significant other, just in case, with us when we go ashore.

We also take a drivers license and our cruise card. We put all of this along with most of our cash and a credit card in security pouches that we wear under our clothing. Then we have a small amount of cash in a wallet in my pocket or in my wife's case in her handbag.

I doubt it would be legal but it at least would be something to get someone to take us to the American embassy or consulate to check.

Have a great next cruise.

It's an official document, of course. Seems like throwing it on the Xerox might not make it official in some eyes.

True, the photocopy isn't official/legal. Getting it notorized wouldn't help, though -- the reason for photocopying the passport isn't because it would be valid in the same way the original document is. It just makes it easier and quicker to get a replacement passport that *is* legal.

I've been travelling internationally on a regular basis since I was 19, and although I've been fortunate enough not to need it, I have ALWAYS had at least one copy with me when I'm abroad, and another left with a family member at home. American passports are still very valuable on the black market, so many thiefs would rather get their hands on your passport than your credit card. It's just a peace of mind issue for me. :)

La croisiere, have you ever traveled on a damaged passport? The back of my DH's passport (the blue backing) has separated from the rest of the booklet. While the passport agents we talk to in the US don't seem to think it's a problem, I'm more concerned about what a customs agent (not necesarily on a cruising vacation) might think of it. I'm wondering how damaged passports are looked upon while traveling overseas. We only have one "passport required" vacation under our belts. Thanks!

I haven't researched this recently but I was always under the impression it was a Federal offense to photograph a US Passport.

Don't know but on the Brilliance last year we were told to make copies for one of our ports ( we already had them) ....they announced if we didn't have copies to go to the guest relations desk and they would do it free. :confused:

I haven't researched this recently but I was always under the impression it was a Federal offense to photograph a US Passport.

Actually the State Department suggests you make 2 copies. One as a backup and have one stored in another location. It just makes it easier in case it needs replacing and it would probably at least get you in an American Embassy in case of an emergency.

A xeroxed passport (or birth certificate and license) is not a legal document. Consider: Suppose you and I were the age, the same sex, and we looked a bit alike (remember, passports are good for ten years, so people could change substantially). One of us could travel on the "real passport" while the other used the xerox. Not too secure.

The reason for xeroxing the passport is so you have proof that it exists, and in an emergency the authorities can create a new one for you more quickly. It's a wise decision to leave a copy of your items with a trusted friend back home so that they could be faxed to some remote location if you're in big trouble.

The best advice I have received is to make two copies of your passport. Leave one at home with someone and carry the second with you. Although some people prefer to carry their original passport ashore, I prefer to leave the original in my cabin safe and carry the second copy.

We leave the orginal in the safe on the cruiseship, leave a copy at home and carry one of the copies with us. This is especially true in Europe, as when you are purchasing anything to take home with you, they will need it to print out the form for the VAT refund at the stores and they always ask to see the passport........they will accept copies.

I can top the copy thing. I took digital images of my DL, and Passport and have them in an album on the web in a password protected place.

Yes it is not a legal document but I can access it from anywhere in the world. A cyber cafe on the shore or on the ship. It can prove the point that I have them and make it easier for some agency to replace them.

I can print out copies also so it will work out for me.

Is that being overly anal?

I can top the copy thing. I took digital images of my DL, and Passport and have them in an album on the web in a password protected place.

Yes it is not a legal document but I can access it from anywhere in the world. A cyber cafe on the shore or on the ship. It can prove the point that I have them and make it easier for some agency to replace them.

I can print out copies also so it will work out for me.Is that being overly anal?

I agree with Deb . . . it sounds like a very good idea to me! Of course, one would hope that none of these precautions would ever be necessary, but -- heaven forbid -- in the wrong situation you would be SOOOO glad you had taken the tame!

Laurasue, I really don't know the answer to your question. Official State Dept. policy is that "mutilated, altered or damaged" passports can't be replaced by mail, so I would assume that they wouldn't want you travelling with one either. That being said, since you've talked to American passport agents and they don't think it's an issue, it might not pose a problem. My travels are all in Western Europe and Canada, and I seldom see an American passport very closely scrutinized by customs agents. If it were me . . . hmmmm . . . I would probably not worry about it, unless I were travelling in less developed countries or areas where Americans are not quite as welcome.

Are copies of the passport valid for returning onboard the ship after you ashore in port?

I would prefer to leave our passports in the cabin safe, and use a copy. I don't have a driver's license, so this is my only photo identification.

Thanks La croisiere! I think we're going to try and replace the passport. It's funny how no one at the passport agency knows quite what to do about replacing a damaged passport, and how many different answers we've gotten. But we might just wait until after the cruise, and bring his birth certificate on the cruise as well.

Are copies of the passport valid for returning onboard the ship after you ashore in port?

I would prefer to leave our passports in the cabin safe, and use a copy. I don't have a driver's license, so this is my only photo identification.

You might check with the Purser's desk on that one. Usually they don't even check our photo ID when we reboard the ship. Your Seapass has your picture embedded in it and when you slip it in the slot to reboard, your picture pops up for security to see.

We make two copies of everything and leave one with a family member, the other with us.

However, this time I am going to make a copy of our passports and then have them laminated, so they can't be ruined if they got wet, etc. I'll take this one when we get off the boat.

No, it's not the real thing, but it's still convienant to have if you ever need it.

Again, I agree with Deb -- you should definitely check with the purser on that. Although you can get back on the ship with just your Seapass, the port agents might not let you get that far. In Cozumel last month we had to show our passports before we could enter the duty-free "mall" that leads to the pier. In Grand Cayman we didn't, Jamaica I don't remember . . . anyway, I would definitely find out before you leave the ship! :)

Thanks for the information; I previously thought we only needed our SeaPass to get back on as well. I'll double check with the Purser's Desk. The only recent cruise we were on was the Monarch and I don't remember if we had to show anything additional when we went back on the ship from Ensenada.

The real purpose for having the photocopy is to aid the Embassy or High Comission in getting you a replacement passport. It's a real hassle if you've got no id on you. It can also be very expensive. Back in high school a bunch of us went on an exchange trip to europe and one guy lost his passport - no other id - too young to drive. It took quite awhile to get a replacement from the Embassy in Paris. (Should mention that I'm Canadian).

The photocopy can't be used as a form of ID. It's just an insurance in case something happens.

Again' date=' I agree with Deb -- you should definitely check with the purser on that. Although you can get back on the ship with just your Seapass, the port agents might not let you get that far. In Cozumel last month we had to show our passports before we could enter the duty-free "mall" that leads to the pier. In Grand Cayman we didn't, Jamaica I don't remember . . . anyway, I would definitely find out before you leave the ship! :)[/font']

Jamaica is the only port we've been through that did (does?) a photo ID check before you even get to the cruise ship (this was 1/03)...in today's security conscious world, more island nations may have started the same requirement.

My instinct is always to follow the Rule of the Six P's : Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Mike

Hey Baycruiser' date=' I didn't notice that you've got a cruise coming right up . . . congrats!! You must be so excited. Enjoy! :D[/font']

Thanks! I'm bouncing off the walls, checking these boards and the weather constantly! :)

Archived