Park n Stay hotels in Boston?

Mary in Maine

Thanks Blue Herons! MaryinMaine got a fantastic deal on the Sheraton and I'm glad she's taking advantage of it. Hotwire for the Sheraton has been wonderful for cruisers this year - a ton of folks on the Jewel repo at the end of October are getting a similar deal. If you check the rack rates, they run $300+++ for a comparable hotel.

That's so awesome you were able to convince her.

I'm not sure why so many cruisers want to stay out by airports and try and commute in to sightsee.

Sometimes the money you save isn't worth the money you save.

Hi 138 East (Carol),

We are planning to stay for just one night at the Best Western in Quincy. This was mentioned in an earlier post. We don't plan on sightseeing too much but we were wondering about how far is it to the cruise pier? Thank you in advance for any replies.

You are always helpful to anyone planning a stay in Boston.

Thanks again

Phil

Phil - give me more details. Are you driving or flying? Where are you coming from? How many people? Do you need to leave a car? Are you going on the Jewel repo (Date???)? What are you paying for the Best Western? Over the years this hotel has gotten mixed reviews. Perhaps there are other options for you.

Hi again Carol,

Thanks so much for your quick reply!!!

Yes, we are doing the repo on Oct. 29, 2011. We are flying in and not renting a car.

It was $139.00 and includes shuttle from the airport and to the cruise pier as well as breakfast. I have read that many in the CC group are staying elsewhere and received a great deal through Priceline but we are happy with the deal we have.

Thanks again,

Phil

OK - you're happy with your deal because you're getting a "free" shuttle from the airport and to the pier and breakfast. But you'll be stuck without a car in a "fringe" motel in Quincy, MA. with nothing much around it including a choice of restaurants.

I'd really rather see you maybe spend a few more dollars, book the 3 1/2* hotel in Back Back for $101 on Hotwire. Cab from Logan to Back Bay should be $30-$35. If you take the Silver Line from the airport to South Station ($2/pp - leaves from the terminal departure area - special new bus line with luggage racks like a rental car shuttle), you can grab a cab at South Station to Back Bay for under $15). It will be under $20 back to the pier - if you ask on your roll call you might find someone to share that ride.

Let us know what you decide. Trust me - there's a good reason your fellow cruisers have been snapping up the deal at the Sheraton. Ask for opinions on your roll call.

Boston is not a cruising city like the Florida cities - the economics and logistics are very different. Logan Airport is practically in downtown Boston and folks take cabs to downtown hotels from the airport. The hotels that offer free shuttle services/parking tend to be in "fringe" areas like Revere, Chelsea, Saugus, South Boston, or Quincy. For some dates these hotels are the only economical alternatives, but for the Jewel Repo there is a great hotel deal available to you in Back Bay.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at that Best Western too for a one night stay and then free parking for a 14 day cruise, but it really got terrible reviews. If I stay overnight, I'll probably park at the pier, but am also thinking about driving up from near NYC the day of the cruise. How hard is it to find the Black Falcon terminal?

Black Falcon is easy to find. You take the Mass Pike (I90) all the way east and follow the signs to South Boston exit 25. Don't get on I93 and don't go to Logan Airport. Pull up the detailed directions in South Boston on Mapquest - there a few zigs and zags, but basically when you are in South Boston you should be able to see the ship.

What day of the week and exact date would you be doing this? It sounds like a good plan and I think you will be happier doing this. The Best Western will be a lot harder to find in Quincy and it does get mixed reviews. Not everyone finds it up to their hotel standards. Another option is to look for a hotel in the Waltham area for the previous night on Hotwire - there are often rooms in decent hotels for under $100.

Janetz - the Mapquest directions I am looking at say exit 25. I don't really know - I just follow the signs to South Boston. The directions say to take the ramp to Seaport Blvd and that sounds right to me. This will definitely put you out on the street near the World Trade Center and the pier is only a few blocks away. The important thing is to NOT get on I93 and NOT get in the Ted Williams Tunnel to Logan Airport.

Janetz - the Mapquest directions I am looking at say exit 25. I don't really know - I just follow the signs to South Boston. The directions say to take the ramp to Seaport Blvd and that sounds right to me. This will definitely put you out on the street near the World Trade Center and the pier is only a few blocks away. The important thing is to NOT get on I93 and NOT get in the Ted Williams Tunnel to Logan Airport.

Maybe its just different directions. We are just coming from the other side of the state. :)

Archived