ZUMBA classes

hi2you

• 2 weeks later...
As of December (on the Miracle) they did not. Kind of a bummer as I am totally into Zumba! It would be a fun way to keep off all those unwanted vacation pounds!

I agree and would like to not break the habit of exercising just because I am on vacation! Currently doing Zumba, Muscle Works, Yoga/Pilates and an hour on the treadmill each week. Don't want to stop all the good work :o

Seriously though, do the cruise lines charge extra per day to use the fitness rooms? And on average about how much? I am sailing on carnival Freedom in April and just wonder if there is a price to keep fit and away from the buffet line! :D

Has Carnival added Zumba to their fitness classes yet?

101 days til I sail.

I don't remember them ever offering Jazzercise, Dancing to the Oldies, Tae-Bo or any of the other fad excercise classes.

Why would they start now?

They offer aerobics and spinning for an added charge.

Bill

I don't remember them ever offering Jazzercise, Dancing to the Oldies, Tae-Bo or any of the other fad excercise classes.

Why would they start now?

They offer aerobics and spinning for an added charge.

Bill

Zumba is not a corportation as the aforementioned exercize (except maybe tae-bo) programs are so I think if they wanted to add it they could. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Zumba is all the rave and they would make a lot of money (since you have to pay for exercise classes) if they added it...I believe you just might see it showing up soon (if it isn't someones corporation).

While I personally find it tacky and annoying, my GF is a Zumba instructor and will be downright moody if she doesn't get some Zumba time in daily. When we were on the Legend, one of her first things she did was hunt down Wee Jimmy and ask him about offering a space she could play her DVD's and maybe get a group together. Jimmy set her up somewhere in one of the bars that had a couple LCD TV's in the front of the ship (she usually did it early morning, except on sea days). Jimmy didn't put anything in the Fun Times, but the GF got word of mouth out there and ended up getting about 2 dozen+ people to show up most days (even Jimmy showed up once and made an attempt). While I'm sure this was somewhat a unique situation, I'm sure you could get the CD to work something out for you if it's something you're passionate about like my GF.

While I personally find it tacky and annoying, my GF is a Zumba instructor and will be downright moody if she doesn't get some Zumba time in daily. When we were on the Legend, one of her first things she did was hunt down Wee Jimmy and ask him about offering a space she could play her DVD's and maybe get a group together. Jimmy set her up somewhere in one of the bars that had a couple LCD TV's in the front of the ship (she usually did it early morning, except on sea days). Jimmy didn't put anything in the Fun Times, but the GF got word of mouth out there and ended up getting about 2 dozen+ people to show up most days (even Jimmy showed up once and made an attempt). While I'm sure this was somewhat a unique situation, I'm sure you could get the CD to work something out for you if it's something you're passionate about like my GF.

LOL! She really has guts and really must be addicted!! I love it!!

In my humble but correct opinion, Wee Jimmy is the best C.D. on the high seas. He's got a great, genuine personality, and I firmly believe he love's his job. I heard from a fellow passenger that Jimmy had a very hard upbringing, and getting a job with Carnival was truly a Godsend. Don't know if it's true or not, but if it is, it gives me even more respect for him.

Helping facilitate sombody with their zumba request sounds exactly like something Wee Jimmy would do. And Jimmy showing up and trying it, showing off that magnificent muscular body( whoops, I think I might have the wrong Jimmy in mind) sounds even more like him. Not to gush too much over him, but Carnival should promote him to be the C.D. trainer for their fleet.

And I usually not one to gush over anybody.

Zumba is great...we live in a very rural area, and have about 80 people show up twice a week for the class, our instructor is very energetic, and we all have a wonderful workout. Wish they did have it onboard for our sailing on 2/27.

Zumba is not a corportation as the aforementioned exercize (except maybe tae-bo) programs are so I think if they wanted to add it they could. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Zumba is all the rave and they would make a lot of money (since you have to pay for exercise classes) if they added it...I believe you just might see it showing up soon (if it isn't someones corporation).

All of the ones I listed "were all the rave" at their various times also.

How is Zumba any different from Tae-Bo?

I see it advertised in the wee hours on my TV, the same as Tae-Bo was...

It is the rage now, but 5 years from now there will be some new excercise fad and there will be Zumba kits buried in the bottom of closets coast to coast. (just like Tae-Bo, Jazzercise, etc. etc.)

And Kudos to the woman who led her class on the Legend.

Now THAT is the way to do something like that.

Not expect Carnival to cater to a fad. (plus as slow as corporations move, Zumba will be out, by the time they would add it anyway.)

Bill

Just for everyones information Zumba is copyrighted and owned by Zumba Fitness, in order to call classes Zumba the instructor must pay a fee each month to them.

thanks for the info. I was wondering about that. Guess we won't be seeing Zumba on any cruises then, especially since the cruiselines are cutting so many corners lately.

thanks for the info. I was wondering about that. Guess we won't be seeing Zumba on any cruises then, especially since the cruiselines are cutting so many corners lately.

They could still do them and call them else. The gym I go to does a work out called Turbo Jam but LA Fitness can't call it that so they call it something else.

In my humble but correct opinion, Wee Jimmy is the best C.D. on the high seas. He's got a great, genuine personality, and I firmly believe he love's his job.

agreed now i have only been on 2 cruises but i have NO recolection who the CD on the dream was obviously not memorable, but i definitely remember wee jimmy he was really hilarious and i loved his accent!

Just for everyones information Zumba is copyrighted and owned by Zumba Fitness, in order to call classes Zumba the instructor must pay a fee each month to them.
That is why there are so many other dance exercise classes being offered elsewhere under different names.

Zumba is just the name that is currently getting all the hype and making a lot of money for the owner. Anyone can put on the same type of lively music and do similar dance moves without paying one cent to anyone.

That is why there are so many other dance exercise classes being offered elsewhere under different names.

Zumba is just the name that is currently getting all the hype and making a lot of money for the owner. Anyone can put on the same type of lively music and do similar dance moves without paying one cent to anyone.

Edna down at the local Y might get away with fake Zumba classes and not get caught.

But if a large corporation like Carnival or Gold's Gym or 24 Hour Fitness, etc... tried, they would get sued and lose.

It is cheaper for the large companies just to pay the small licenscing fee and do it legitimately.

Bill

Edna down at the local Y might get away with fake Zumba classes and not get caught.

But if a large corporation like Carnival or Gold's Gym or 24 Hour Fitness, etc... tried, they would get sued and lose.

It is cheaper for the large companies just to pay the small licenscing fee and do it legitimately.

Bill

LOL! Wow, this looks like somebody has a vested interest in Zumba. ;)

Zumba is only another dance exercise franchise that happens to be a popular fad right now. What an insult to all the others offering dance exercise classes to call them fake Zumba classes.

The only way Carnival would need to pay a licensing fee to Zumba would be if they didn't want to bother developing their own dance exercise classes but instead chose to use the Zumba program and name.

If they offer their own dance workout and do not use the Zumba name or materials, there is no reason to pay Zumba anything.

I doubt that the Zumba people are paying anything to the Jazzercize people or the many others who had popular dance exercise programs long before anyone ever heard of Zumba.

People of many cultures throughout the world have been doing rhythmic dancing to music for centuries without the name Zumba. Zumba uses many moves found in Latin dancing, Hawaiian dancing, African dancing, jazz dancing, eastern European dancing and others.

Here are links to a couple of sites offering DVDs from various other dance exercise programs. I doubt that these people are paying any money to Zumba either.

Dance exercise videos

Aerobic Dance Videos and DVD

Archived