Nuremberg - Excursions - AMa

briody

Saturdays bus 67 runs every 20 minutes; Sundays it runs every 40.

The docking in Nuremberg thread has the schedule posted to and from Rotterdamer Strasse which is where the docking is. Just make sure you get the one to and From Frankenstrasse station on the Ubahn; this is the most convenient for the centre of town.

I'm beginning to get the picture. The Documentation Center (Dokumentationszentrum) is in the former NS Congress Hall which has the permanent exhibition "Fascination and Terror", which continues outside along the Nuzi Party Rally Grounds. Is that the same as the Zeppelin Field or is that somewhere else? Anyway, this is what we will see on Uniworld's Tour, and you are suggesting to go on our own Sunday afternoon, time permitting, to Courtroom 600 and the new "Nuremberg Trials Memorial" (Memorium Nunberger Prozesse) on Barenschanzstrasse 72?

The Zeppelin Field is on the other side of the Duzendteich Lake, but in the same area as the Docucentrum. You'll easily spot it on the aerial view. Takes about 10-12 minutes to walk from the Docutcentrum to the Zeppelin Field.

Both, Uniworld & AMA usually drive through the inner courtyard of the Congress Hall Building, then to the Zeppelin Field. As far as i know Uniworld also started to offer optional WW2 tours on some ships in 2011, where you'll also get into the Memorium.

Again:

- Check the tour details with your PD when you arrive in Nuremberg.

- Then decide if you want to stay on board and relax, see the medieval old town, the Dokucenter OR the Memorium.

With public transportation it is very easy to go from both museums to the old town after 6pm. One Way Ticket costs 2,10€, Day Ticket Solo 4,20€, Day Ticket Plus (2 Adults (above 18) + 4 < 18) costs 7€. But you'll only have time for one museum. And due to your arrival time at 4 I still recommend a taxi at least for the way TO the museum of your choice.

Sorry to keep butting in here but I think Nuremberger sausage is an impt reason to go to Nuremberg.

I was looking at google maps and the restaurant may be (not sure) Bratwurst-Röslein which is just steps away from the Schoner Brunnen (fountain that the AMA tour guides say to meet at) in the square. If you have to walk through this restaurant to the back and there is a take out counter there then this is the place.

I looked up Bratwurst Roslein on their web site as well as Trip Advisor. It doesn't sound or look like the place you are describing, jeax. But I guarantee you, if it still exists, I will find it, and if Ingo is hanging out at the Hauptmarkt on Sunday or Monday April 24th, we'll find him (her?) too!

Not to belabor the issue, but when I was reading Rick Steve's Eating in Nurnberg section, I came upon his review of Bratwursthausle on Rathhausplatz, which sounds like the takeaway you described and which also features the Nurnberger ("Little Mac")

On a previous post they mentioned lock closures. So now I'm wondering if this will affect our Treasures of Prague, Main, and Rhine itinerary next month. It goes to show you, you make all these plans and preparation for Nuremberg, and you end up in Regensberg! Oh well, bring it on!

Well, as far as i remember, both restaurants have a takeaway section. But both are just 1 minute away from the main market square.

The locks on the canal are closed from 4.4.2011 - 16.4.2011. So that will be no problem for you.

I don't know if you see Ingo at the main market square on the 24th, but you got a 1:3 chance, that HE is going to be one of your tourguides the next day ;)

well, i don't know till 8:45 what group i'll be with. but i can promise, my colleagues are great too ;)

but IF you are on my bus, and IF you try to sing, just let me remind you: I (!!!) got a microphone ;)

Seriously, Ingo, if you look up the Treasures of Prague, the Rhine, and Main Uniworld Cruise Companion and Shore Excursion brochure, you will see that there is not an optional WWII tour. There is just their Nuremburg Tour that passes by the Reich Party Rally Grounds and the unfinished Roman Coliseum, Congress Hall. So we will have to try to see it on our own. I think another idea would be for a group of us to hire a private guide for several hours to do it more efficiently.

Uniworld's Grand European Discovery Tour (which is the combination of the Danube Discovery and the Rhine Discovery tours) offers a WWII optional tour, because our extra day in Nuremberg is disembarkation day for some passengers and embarkation day for other.

Rachel

I am so excited - it is getting close - in fact I have to pay today - not crazy about that. I asked my travel agent for a detailed itinerary and she gave me one but said it could change.

Briody

I recently found out that the Treasures of Prague, Rhine and Main tour arrives in Nurnberg at 5 PM on Sunday. It seems like they are giving passengers a free extra morning in Prague on Sunday and will therefore be arriving later in the day in Nurnberg. So Ingo and his colleagues will have to cram it all in on Monday morning's Nurnberg Tour! My suggestion would be to save the Courtroom for last and give guests the opportunity to stay behind and get back to the boat on their own (by 5 PM I believe). If we get to Nurnberg by 5 PM on Sunday, that still gives me plenty of time to make the 7pm opera and grab a bratwurst afterward!

Sorry to keep butting in here but I think Nuremberger sausage is an impt reason to go to Nuremberg.

I was looking at google maps and the restaurant may be (not sure) Bratwurst-Röslein which is just steps away from the Schoner Brunnen (fountain that the AMA tour guides say to meet at) in the square. If you have to walk through this restaurant to the back and there is a take out counter there then this is the place.

Thanks for the tip. I will also find it in August. I wish I had know about it when I was there in 2009.

• 3 months later...

Ingo, if you happen to read this, I was going through our Treasures of Prague, Rhine, and Main photos and have a great shot of you lecturing us in front of the Schoner Brunnen (Beautiful Fountain) at the Hauptmarkt in Nurnberg. Let me know if you would like it. And if anyone still has questions on how to orchestrate your day here, ask away!

Archived