Just for fun! Weirdest souvenir you've ever brought home

goinmobile68

I noticed mention of common/special/must have souvenirs & wondered what you may have seen or actually brought home that might be considered a bit out of the ordinary?

I didn't start out to collect them, but I've gathered reuseable shopping bags from grocery stores from Florida to Alaska. They fold flat, so they don't take up space in my luggage, they are handy to carry the stuff you didn't know that you needed, and when I've come home they have sparked some conversations in the local grocery line!

Then there were the huge pine cones-I actually paid to mail them home! My husband thought I was crazy, but the post office clerk said he sees it all the time!

OK, there's my confession-how about yours?

I would vote for the oosik as well although I did see a Denali National Park refrigerator magnet with nothing but the words Denali National Park and a photo of a whale on it . I suppose it was for those rare whale sightings in the park.

I would vote for the oosik as well although I did see a Denali National Park refrigerator magnet with nothing but the words Denali National Park and a photo of a whale on it . I suppose it was for those rare whale sightings in the park.

Darn! We didn't see any whales in Denali. I think to see them you have to be on the "Pontoon Bus"!

LOL and I thought moose poop earrings was bad!!

One of my favourite stories from back in the days when I was guiding tours was seeing one of my guests caressing a particularly large and beautifully scrimshawed oosik. I told her what it was, and she almost dropped it trying to get rid of it! (the Devil made me do it :D )

I brought home a hand made ceramic sink one time - from Mexico (haven't been to Alaska yet) Made my son carry it through 95 degree heat, got it home without breaking it and it now proudly adorns our basement bathroom sink.

I love those things! I always wondered how I would get one home. We're usually flying when we go to Mexico.

The first day I arrived Fairbanks in 1980 the Tanana Valley State Fair was in progress. I went into a little tent with several oosiks on the table and I was holding one and then asked the question that they were all waiting for. What is it? It was my first of many cheechako moments.

Fish ear bone earrings - they're gorgeous, look like ivory feathers, and a perfect souvenir from my first fishing trip in Alaska. The charter fishing guide I was with made them from the catches! I get quite a lot of comments on them and when I tell them they are ear bones people are amazed!

Years ago I went to a convention that had reps from all 50 states. Each state group was to directed to create a basket from their state as door prizes. The one from Alaska was the best one IMHO. It was a very beautiful hand carved moose that stood about 12 inches high. But there was more to it than met the eye. It also dispensed fudge from its backside :eek:. Talk about a conversation piece. Needless to say it the hot item for the door prizes.

Alas I didn't get to bring it home, but I did win the basket from Mississippi. I have beautiful seashells painted with the Mississippi light houses and a few other items.

Years ago I went to a convention that had reps from all 50 states. Each state group was to directed to create a basket from their state as door prizes. The one from Alaska was the best one IMHO. It was a very beautiful hand carved moose that stood about 12 inches high. But there was more to it than met the eye. It also dispensed fudge from its backside :eek:. Talk about a conversation piece. Needless to say it the hot item for the door prizes.

It's usually called a "poop moose" - available from a few shops online :D

I got a small one a few years back at a local discount store. I've also seen them in cow & chicken form-for some reason my sister decided that Mom should collect these! (NO, she wasn't a little kid at the time!)

Which...the pooping animals or the oosiks?

My husband says it's the wooden lobster trap from Maine that took up half of the back seat in the car. He put a plexiglass top on it and we use it as a table outside.

I think it's the pix I took of a port a potty next to a sign for a U Storage facility in PA.

We just love the unique items you can get in Alaska... My hubby brought home a wallrus wisker toothpick....

I saw the moose poop items the first trip and wanted to buy some our next trip and they were all gone... lets hope this trip in May I can get some...LOL

And yes...I too googled scrimshawed oosik ... think I will get one of those too in May.... ROFL...

Archived