Amtrak arriving in Vancouver at 11:40 am

cluna

I am planning to take the Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver. The train leaves at 7:40 am and arrives in Vancouver at 11:40. If my ship (Disney Wonder) leaves at 3:00 is that going to give me plenty of time? Has anyone done this before?

I am planning to take the Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver. The train leaves at 7:40 am and arrives in Vancouver at 11:40. If my ship (Disney Wonder) leaves at 3:00 is that going to give me plenty of time? Has anyone done this before?

tons of time. There is a McDonalds at the train so if you want to buy somehting you will have CDn change. You can take the skytrain across the street to Waterfront where the ship is or just take a cab. It will only be $10 or so. If you want to check in you'll be very close to gastown or the waterfront and the seawall (walkway) is right there so its really pleasant way to spend some time. You will have plenty of time and you will enjoy the train ride.

If the train is on time - you should be okay. However, I doubt that the train will be on time. I would advise against taking Amtrak for anything that is time critical, unless you plan to arrive a day ahead of time.

If the train is on time - you should be okay. However, I doubt that the train will be on time. I would advise against taking Amtrak for anything that is time critical, unless you plan to arrive a day ahead of time.

I live in Washington and take Amtrak Cascades service to Vancouver frequently. Over a number of years, the latest I have even been is about 1 hour, once, at about 12:45, and even that time, I was out of Customs and on the street at by 1pm. Most of the time the train is ontime, or 5 or 10 minutes late at most.

The train originates in Seattle with a "captive" train set that just shuttles between Seattle and Vancouver. It does not have the opportunity to lose time over long distances.

The timekeeping on this train is reliable. Don't pay any attention to posters from out of the area that know little or nothing about it. Many, many cruisers use it for same day departures, the northbound trains are packed with cruisers on summer weekends, and many have posted about it here. While I would have concerns, and strenuously discourage anyone from taking a transcontinental train to catch a cruise the same day, you would have no problem taking this.

I LOVE that train ride and have taken it twice:D...both trips we arrived

on time:). The scenery is beautiful and most everyone on the train

was taking a cruise so the conversation was alot of fun too:D

Have a great cruise:)

The train operates very much on sked during the cruise season so you should have no problem at all. Incidentally the port sked show the Wonder departing at 5:30 which is the traditional time of departure (except for 2 cruises in September). You are only 10 mins from the Amtrak station to Canada Place.

The train operates very much on sked during the cruise season so you should have no problem at all. Incidentally the port sked show the Wonder departing at 5:30 which is the traditional time of departure (except for 2 cruises in September). You are only 10 mins from the Amtrak station to Canada Place.

According to the map, the cruise terminal is only 7 blocks from the train station, can you walk?

According to the map, the cruise terminal is only 7 blocks from the train station, can you walk?

It's closer to 15 blocks.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=212770407613531027445.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.28228,-123.097944&spn=0.021724,0.037594&z=15

However, Skytrain is across the street from Pacific Station, and ends at Waterfront. The escalator up from the platform level (expo/millenium line) is ½ block from Canada Place. $2.50/ea

I think you may be looking at Ballantyne pier not Canada Place. If you happen to be one on one of the few ships using Ballantyne pier....yes, I guess you could walk it but it will be thru a really seedy part of the city and it wouldn't be my first choice. To Ballantyne your only option is a cab...other than walking.

I think you may be looking at Ballantyne pier not Canada Place. If you happen to be one on one of the few ships using Ballantyne pier....yes, I guess you could walk it but it will be thru a really seedy part of the city and it wouldn't be my first choice. To Ballantyne your only option is a cab...other than walking.

I suspect they were making the mistake of assuming that Amtrak trains arrive at Waterfront, not Pacific Station

I think I am confused on the time. My itinerary says 3:00 but it sounds like maybe that’s when we can start boarding? That would make me feel much better about the time. I'll have to double check that.

They should be on the Sept 20th repositioning to LA as that departs at 3pm. All the other Wonder cruises depart at 4pm.

Not according to the Port of Vancouver, they leave at 5:30 pm except for a couple in September...that's why I asked the question.

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/en/about/cruiseandtourism/cruiselineschedules.aspx

We took the train the other way Van - Sea for a cruise (6:50am train same day) and had no issues. On the way back they had some braking issues and we were an hour late. They kept us informed and we weren't worried at all. Very happy with Amtrak and would take it again, very affordable and convenient.

When travelling on the train between Vancouver and Seattle, what is the proceedure for customs and immigration between the two countries.?

Do the TSA come aboard the train?

you give a passport #to Amtrak. You fill out a declaration card onboard and a immigration walks thru the train at the border. In Vancouver when you get off you speak to Cdn customs. Very quick and easy.

When travelling on the train between Vancouver and Seattle, what is the proceedure for customs and immigration between the two countries.?

Do the TSA come aboard the train?

Going south between Vancouver and Seattle, you go through US Immigration with US ICE agents in the Vancouver station after check in and prior to boarding. The train stops at Blaine, WA on the border and ICE agents board for US Customs inspection. The train holds at Blaine until Customs inspection is complete. TSA is not involved at all.

Going north, both Canadian Customs and Immigration is done by CBSA in the Vancouver station, similar to an airport.

As noted, you have to give the number of the ID you'll be using cross the border in order to buy a ticket. Usually a passport, but can also be a passport card, an EDL, a Nexus card, etc.

Hello

I would take Amtrak to Vancouver, and we are! I am a group of 8 taking the same train and arriving at the same time. Our check in is 12 -3 PM and we feel we will have plenty of time to check in and maybe some time for lunch in Gas Town which is nearby.

I often travel on Amtrak south to Oregon and north to Vancouver but not as often. I can say that the train is often late heading south due to the heavy traffic with Burlington Pacific, but going north I have never had a delay more than 10 minutes that I recall. Going north is a smooth and timely trip. Going south to catch a destination I would be concerned.

Very easy way to travel, beautiful ride itself, and as mentioned above just a few minute cab ride to the ship.

If there was some unforseen problem with a shutdown on the track, Amtrak would bus you there quickly and still close to time. That has happened once for me going south with a landslide on the track.

Hope this was of some help.

Happy travels.

MM;)

Archived