Galveston Port closed?

GreenZolie

I

We are deeply disappointed, and have probably lost the cost of our cruise tickets, because even though I bought insurance, I only bought the insurance that covers medical situations, I think. Am too tired tonight to go look. And frankly, I don't care tonight. It's only money...

At this point, though, I just want to go home tomorrow. Due to various and multiple reasons, (namely not being able to pay for another cruise after losing this fare), we will not be able to cruise again this year. So, our reconciliation vacation is not going to happen for us. But, if it was that important to us, then I guess I shouldn't have booked the type of vacation that is subject to weather. My bad. Sigh.

Don't give up on the cruise fare! I cancelled last year after waiting all day in that terminal! Like you, I had had enough and was not interested in going on a cruise to nowhere so I just went back home and called Carnival the next morning. They gave me a credit valid for 24 months. That is the countdown clock you see in my signature. I didn't have insurance so give them a call this morning at the Miami number.

God Bless those who are waiting... And I am so sorry for those missing their cruises...

WOW!!! That is some fog!!! Thank you for this thread... I was checking in yesterday to see if the ECSTASY ever came home, but had a seminar all day and hoped maybe it came home when I wasn't looking...

Today... Parking will even be a problem, for three ships not back and three ships' full of passengers waiting to park...

I was once "fogged out" but we got on late, then had to sleep on the ship still in Galveston. The fog lifted but came back... WOW!!!

God Bless those who are waiting... And I am so sorry for those missing their cruises...

WOW!!! That is some fog!!! Thank you for this thread... I was checking in yesterday to see if the ECSTASY ever came home, but had a seminar all day and hoped maybe it came home when I wasn't looking...

Today... Parking will even be a problem, for three ships not back and three ships' full of passengers waiting to park...

I was once "fogged out" but we got on late, then had to sleep on the ship still in Galveston. The fog lifted but came back... WOW!!!

In December 2010, we had reserved at EZ Cruise Parking and when their parking lot didn't empty fast enough because CBP searched everyone getting off the Ecstasy (so we heard), and it took a long time to clear the ship, the EZ Cruise folks had us park at a lot that was much further out instead of the one that is within walking distance.

I would be sure to bring snacks and water for the long wait at the terminal! In March 2010, when the Ecstasy didn't come in due to fog, the Carnival staff had nothing to most of the folks waiting in the terminal. Some people just sprawled out on the floor and went to sleep on their pillows. They strongly urged everyone to go walk around on the Strand and later gave a $15 credit for lunch to those who actually went on the cruise the next day. I lost that credit since I cancelled.

In December 2010, we had reserved at EZ Cruise Parking and when their parking lot didn't empty fast enough because CBP searched everyone getting off the Ecstasy (so we heard), and it took a long time to clear the ship, the EZ Cruise folks had us park at a lot that was much further out instead of the one that is within walking distance.

I would be sure to bring snacks and water for the long wait at the terminal! In March 2010, when the Ecstasy didn't come in due to fog, the Carnival staff had nothing to most of the folks waiting in the terminal. Some people just sprawled out on the floor and went to sleep on their pillows. They strongly urged everyone to go walk around on the Strand and later gave a $15 credit for lunch to those who actually went on the cruise the next day. I lost that credit since I cancelled.

WOW!!! I know the one time we were delayed, we were lucky. We found a handicapped spot on the street, closed to the Harbor House. It was free parking... and I pushed Mom around in her wheelchair...

We too were offered a credit to cover our lunch in Galveston, and credit for missing a port. We had booked a 5 day and we made Coz, but not Progreso...

I feel for all those affected by this. How many cruises, from Galveston, are affected each year?

We are flying in from London, in two weeks time, just for a Conquest cruise to help my DW re-cuperate. It would be dreadful for her if we were similarly affected, so I may have to look at contingency plans. I'll not tell her so as she wont worry.

The local news (ABC) reports the fog will burn off later this morning, their estimates are 11:00am or a little later. Today's high is reported to be 78 degrees, so mix in the wind and you can expect clearer skies.

As for a cruise to nowhere, it's a great deal. We did it over July 4th weekend due to tropical depression sized waves closing the port.

Galveston has few of these a year, with not much difference from other coastal areas along the gulf.

Cruise lines owe you a reasonable explanation at the port on what their plans are, but do they really owe cruisers a meal voucher due to acts of God like weather? I'm not sure.

Your fellow cruisers aboard also need to make travel plan changes, and if you booked your airfare through Carnival they will help you. Again, if you booked your travel on your own I am not sure they owe you compensation for things beyond their control.

You can rest assured those ships involved would like to get new set of passengers with a fresh supply of cash...

Call me if you need a ride :) we will be in Galveston for lunch after mass.

Don't give up on the cruise fare! I cancelled last year after waiting all day in that terminal! Like you, I had had enough and was not interested in going on a cruise to nowhere so I just went back home and called Carnival the next morning. They gave me a credit valid for 24 months. That is the countdown clock you see in my signature. I didn't have insurance so give them a call this morning at the Miami number.

Thanks for the info and encouragement!!

We waited from 9am until 7pm at the port yesterday. We were wise enough to go on the IPad early and get a line on where hotel rooms were available. There is a cheerleading competition at the conv. Center and a marathon run today. We were told that all hotels in Galv. were booked. We found two rooms in League City, 35 miles north.

Carnival is giving $45 food credit and 25% cruise cost credit as an OBC if and when we get on the ship. They also offered 100% refund if you wanted to leave.

They were very slow on giving info at the pier Sat. Pax were very calm and cooperative. In terminal2 the PA system was useless and caused more confusio than it was worth.

We did not get official word that we should leave the port until 7 pm. Carnival had it posted on their website 30 minutes earlier.

We are hopeful that we will get out today. The marine weather report shows progress but no official word yet.

-Jim in League City

Just got a text from our kids on the Conquest around 6am. Wondering what was up as they are just outside the jetties and not moving because of fog. They needed weather update.

Thanks for all the info...Now I see 3 ships are affected. I told them just take a nap!!:D They should have their bags and live close to port.

We waited from 9am until 7pm at the port yesterday. We were wise enough to go on the IPad early and get a line on where hotel rooms were available. There is a cheerleading competition at the conv. Center and a marathon run today. We were told that all hotels in Galv. were booked. We found two rooms in League City, 35 miles north.

Carnival is giving $45 food credit and 25% cruise cost credit as an OBC if and when we get on the ship. They also offered 100% refund if you wanted to leave.

They were very slow on giving info at the pier Sat. Pax were very calm and cooperative. In terminal2 the PA system was useless and caused more confusio than it was worth.

We did not get official word that we should leave the port until 7 pm. Carnival had it posted on their website 30 minutes earlier.

We are hopeful that we will get out today. The marine weather report shows progress but no official word yet.

-Jim in League City

Glad you found a place to stay! Good for you for sticking it out. I hope you get to leave sometime today.

When you were at Terminal 2 did you notice if they were giving out any vouchers to obtain the 100% credit? Or did they just tell us to call later?

At this point, though, I just want to go home tomorrow. Due to various and multiple reasons, (namely not being able to pay for another cruise after losing this fare), we will not be able to cruise again this year. So, our reconciliation vacation is not going to happen for us. But, if it was that important to us, then I guess I shouldn't have booked the type of vacation that is subject to weather. My bad. Sigh.

I hope everyone found a safe place to stay the night tonight. For those of you who will take the cruise anyway, tomorrow or Monday, have fun! For those of you who opted out like we did, have a safe trip home. And for all of you, I hope you found a safe place to spend the night tonight.

Night all...

I think you will get your money back :) so when you do get around to it, have a wonderful cruise. Your attitude is fantastic, still wishing others well when your plans were falling apart.

I saw ETA 11:48 am for the Conquest. They are last of the 3 waiting to come in...Cannot believe it is so foggy there as we are just south of there on the gulf coast and the weater was beautiful yesterday...

Is it ever this foggy in April???

Where did you see this info? TIA

I saw ETA 11:48 am for the Conquest. They are last of the 3 waiting to come in...Cannot believe it is so foggy there as we are just south of there on the gulf coast and the weater was beautiful yesterday...

oday.

Is it ever this foggy in April???

Yes, it does happen in April. Happened to us on April 4 last Year. We boarded at 530, but some didnt make it on til after 9 pm. Ship left at midnight. We are now waiting for the Voyager again today.

I think you will get your money back :) so when you do get around to it, have a wonderful cruise. Your attitude is fantastic, still wishing others well when your plans were falling apart.

Thanks, monicajay! I am feeling much better about it all this morning. I am definitely counting my blessings.

Archived