suggestions for doing grand cayman on your own

ladyco

One time we caught a taxi and had him take us to a spot on Seven Mile Beach.

Our favorite thing to do there, though, is to go to Stingray City on an independent excursion. Last time we did one that had a stop to dive for conch, and lunch also.

Have you checked out Cayman Islands in the Ports of Call section here on CC? There are LOTS of ideas there.

Edited by Sheffie

....and they drive on the same side as in America, so a rental car wouldn't be difficult....

They drive on the LEFT side, but most rental vehicles (topless Jeep in my case) are made for driving on the right. :eek:

Makes it very interesting when passing another vehicle on the right. :eek:

When we were in Grand Cayman we had planned to do the stingray tour but the seas were too rough so we couldn't go. When we got on the island there were people there offering tours of the island. A local woman took us to "hell" and gave us a tour of the island. She then dropped us off at 7 mile beach and came back a few hours later to pick us up. It was one of the best day on the cruise. Very unplanned, but fun and relaxing. 7 mile beach is beautiful and the water is very clear and great for swimming.

• 3 years later...

I'll be there on Dec 10th for my third time. I'd like to just hoof it or take that bus. But just walking around, was wondering what else to see or do? Perhaps of historical significance. Not a big beach person as I live on one. Looking for off the beaten path hidden gems. Thanks in advance.

We've done Grand Cayman twice and both times we rented Mopeds and rode the island, went to Hell and grabbed lunch, and stopped at which ever beach we wanted too. WE also stopped at the dolphin/turtle thing. THe island is so small, you can ride the whole time in a few hours. If you arnt into motorcycles, you could rent a jeep the same way and enjoy your own time. PS we always felt safe riding around the island.

• 1 month later...