OK What Shall We call it

sludger

Unfortunately, it seems that a change of name for this Forum would not fit into the basic structure of CC's forums. They are mostly based on Cruiselines - and not areas of "cruising". Although there are sub-forums relating to ports - there appear to be no sub-forums relating to areas of cruising - eg Australasia, Mediterranean, Caribbean, etc. Hence, if you want to discuss cruising in the Caribbean, there is no one specific forum for this.

Barry

I agree that we had been the exception in the past. However, last year, cruisecritic segregated a sub-section of the fourm for UK cruising, which would appear to be a reasonable model to follow. The question is whether we have the volume and situation to justify it.

I agree that we had been the exception in the past. However, last year, cruisecritic segregated a sub-section of the fourm for UK cruising, which would appear to be a reasonable model to follow. The question is whether we have the volume and situation to justify it.

Walt kindly emailed back and he is putting to "the powers that be upstairs" that we follow similar to the U.K Cruisers forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=682

I had a look and think it's a great solution....like anything new it will take time to catch on but i believe once people find it and realize it's not just a P.O Australia forum as the current one suggests the change will be justified and hopefully we will have cc members from all around the globe visiting us for info...cheers Shiona

Walt kindly emailed back and he is putting to "the powers that be upstairs" that we follow similar to the U.K Cruisers forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=682

I had a look and think it's a great solution....like anything new it will take time to catch on but i believe once people find it and realize it's not just a P.O Australia forum as the current one suggests the change will be justified and hopefully we will have cc members from all around the globe visiting us for info...cheers Shiona

That forum style looks pretty good we could even have our own AUSSIE PUB.

Oh yes! and KIWI PUB :)

There has been a lot of bickering on this forum and I really feel that if we introduce this style of forum those of us that would like newer, more value for money innovative ships from different cruise lines to come here will have a proper voice.

Why don't they just leave it as PO Australia and other Australian cruises start their own site. I initially came on as I am on a PO cruise April. 10th cruise with various cruiselines. It seems other cruise lines have gatecrashed and then just bag PO-now they want to take it over and rename it. I like things neat and tidy-when researching I liike to see something more specific than just a general Australian site. Maybe Rhapsody, Princess need their own. When researching for other cruises I've been on I haven't encountered so many 'gatecrashers' who then want to rename it and make it their own. I wish they would get off this one-go on their own site and stop bagging PO. Leave it to the genuine PO cruisers. I have to scroll through all the Rhapsody's & Princess threads to read the relevant ones.

Well now, maybe others would stop "gatecrashing" (as you put it) this site, if they had somewhere else to go, but they don't.

I'd like to put it to you that P&O is not the only cruise line that cruises out of Australia/ NZ. Why should P&O be the only line with a site all its own?

Princess, Royal Caribbean (not "Rhapsody", that's the name of a ship. Royal now has "Radiance" cruising here, too), and Holland America are all in the OZ/NZ market, and Celebrity will have a ship here too, in 2012.

The "Shore Excursions" site "Australia and New Zealand" caters mostly to Americans wanting information about ports on their itineraries.

I only started reading this site because I wanted more information about cruises out of OZ/NZ and could not find this information elsewhere.

I believe it would not be just a matter of changing this sub-forum's name - but adding another. This Forum would remain P&O Australia - which is a cruiseline like P&O UK or Princess or Cunard - and another would be started "Cruising in Australian/South Pacific waters". Same as what happened for the UK Forum. The P&O UK Forum still exists - and a "Cruising UK" forum now also exists.

However - this only would happen if the Forum owners agreed.

Barry

However - this only would happen if the Forum owners agreed.

Barry

Let's keep our fingers crossed then....and if things go well for the other cruiselines that make downunder their home, even if it's only on a part time basis, hopefully one day they will eventually get dedicated forums for themselves as P.O Australia has.....

cheers Shiona.

I agree.

Time to make a move Walt.

Have a chat to the powers that be,

and see what they come up with.

The board is growing,

and I think we have now reached the stage

where we have outgrown

our present name.

We can only grow stronger from here...

The time has come to make a move....

for the better.:):)

I say YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! And also no to prohibition 17 :)

Of course - you do realise that we would all have to peruse two/perhaps three/perhaps more forums from now on (if changes were made) . P&O Australia are the dominant cruiseline in Australian/South Pacific waters - Princess does have it's own Forum , but there is an entity called "Princess Australia" (don't know if it a legal entity of just an understanding that a couple of Princess ships are based permanently in Australia), then there are the the "other" cruiselines that temporarily come into Aussie waters.

This forum is really all about "Aussie cruising enthusiasts" - NOT cruising with P&O AUS or even just about cruising in Aussie waters. Frequently Aussie cruising enthusiasts here discuss cruising in other waters with other cruiselines in this Forum - where will they go now?? Where will discussions about comparisons between cruiselines go??

Be careful about what you wish for - or you might just get it!!!

Barry

Of course - you do realise that we would all have to peruse two/perhaps three/perhaps more forums from now on (if changes were made) . P&O Australia are the dominant cruiseline in Australian/South Pacific waters - Princess does have it's own Forum , but there is an entity called "Princess Australia" (don't know if it a legal entity of just an understanding that a couple of Princess ships are based permanently in Australia), then there are the the "other" cruiselines that temporarily come into Aussie waters.

This forum is really all about "Aussie cruising enthusiasts" - NOT cruising with P&O AUS or even just about cruising in Aussie waters. Frequently Aussie cruising enthusiasts here discuss cruising in other waters with other cruiselines in this Forum - where will they go now?? Where will discussions about comparisons between cruiselines go??

Be careful about what you wish for - or you might just get it!!!Barry

Very good point Barry.

I enjoy having the one forum where we can discuss and compare ALL cruise lines sailing through our waters.

Our market , even with new ships coming, is still small enough for just the one board.

Look at some of the American boards and see how fast they move.

As to what it ends up being called ....:confused::confused::confused:

We need a neutral zone...a place to discuss everything and anything to do with cruising down our way....not forgetting the off topics too.......

this new forum with a self explanatory name would be open to everyone not just locals but international cruisers...as it's titled now how many people bypass it..... and for the time being it can be home for the likes of RCCL, Celebrity, HAL, Carnival and whoever else passes our way you never know one day they all might have their own Australian forums....it's time to leave P&O Australia with those who only want to discuss P.O Australia......if it happens i for one will be glad coz it's time to move on......and just maybe we can get back to no more ,minimal even, bickering, name calling and hissyfitting....cheers Shiona

OK, mates, the ball is rolling. The possibilities are being seriously explored by the Cruise Critic management and something may be happening soon.

Stay tuned. You'll see an announcement if/when it happens.

OK, mates, the ball is rolling. The possibilities are being seriously explored by the Cruise Critic management and something may be happening soon.

That is wonderful news Walt and thankyou for your hard work. About time P&O Australia was put on its own site.

icon14.gif Yay fingers crossed here Walt............cheers Shiona

We need a neutral zone...a place to discuss everything and anything to do with cruising down our way....not forgetting the off topics too.......

this new forum with a self explanatory name would be open to everyone not just locals but international cruisers...as it's titled now how many people bypass it..... and for the time being it can be home for the likes of RCCL, Celebrity, HAL, Carnival and whoever else passes our way you never know one day they all might have their own Australian forums....it's time to leave P&O Australia with those who only want to discuss P.O Australia......if it happens i for one will be glad coz it's time to move on......and just maybe we can get back to no more ,minimal even, bickering, name calling and hissyfitting....cheers Shiona

I don't think the name of the forum or the way it is structured will make any difference to the bickering etc. There are a couple of people (not yourself) who seem to do this constantly. :D

....it's time to leave P&O Australia with those who only want to discuss P.O Australia......if it happens i for one will be glad coz it's time to move on......and just maybe we can get back to no more ,minimal even, bickering, name calling and hissyfitting....cheers Shiona

I agree. I would like to see P&O Australia have a separate forum so that the many people who enjoy their P&O cruises can ask advice and have discussions without being judged as undiscerning idiots who know no better. It is a sad fact that, on this page, I almost feel guilty for daring to admit I have enjoyed my cruises.

Re the bickering etc. I don't believe this will ever stop, whatever happens, because there are some people whose sole enjoyment of this forum appears to be causing discontent and conflict amongst members.

I agree. I would like to see P&O Australia have a separate forum so that the many people who enjoy their P&O cruises can ask advice and have discussions without being judged as undiscerning idiots who know no better. It is a sad fact that, on this page, I almost feel guilty for daring to admit I have enjoyed my cruises.

Re the bickering etc. I don't believe this will ever stop, whatever happens, because there are some people whose sole enjoyment of this forum appears to be causing discontent and conflict amongst members.

welcome back Sandie, have a good time

we cruised on the Jewel recently....first time on p&o for over 2 years and we enjoyed it....went a booked a couple more on the Jewel & Pearl

welcome back Sandie, have a good time

we cruised on the Jewel recently....first time on p&o for over 2 years and we enjoyed it....went a booked a couple more on the Jewel & Pearl

Thanks rk. They seem to be really moving the staff around between ships now. Some who said they would be on the Dawn for this cruise, are now on the Sun and Jewel. Some of the entertainers are moving to the Sun in December as well as the captain after his leave. Didn't hear much about the Pearl.

Thanks rk. They seem to be really moving the staff around between ships now. Some who said they would be on the Dawn for this cruise, are now on the Sun and Jewel. Some of the entertainers are moving to the Sun in December as well as the captain after his leave. Didn't hear much about the Pearl.

The very words of Sandi's post justifies to me why we need a seperate forum for say Princess Aust from the P&O Aust Forum. When I first read Sandi's post I thought she was talking about the Sun Princess and the Dawn Princess. On second reading a figure she is actually referring to the Pacific Sun and the Pacific Dawn.

The simple issue is that P&O cruisers come to this forum with a mind set all about P&O Aust Ships (Pac Dawn, Sun Jewel Pearl etc). The cruisers (like myself) who are Princess devotees (mainly because of Captian Circle credits etc) come here (through experience) but with a mind set mainly about the Sun Princess and the Dawn Princess and the Sea Princess and perhaps the Diamond Princess. Those that sit in both camps are usually careful about how they refer to ships to avoid confusion.

Its made a bit more complicated when people use just the letter P...it can relate to either Pacific or Princess and often it is used as either a prefix or a suffix.

So Walt.... this has been going on for at least 3 years...lets get something rational happening

Cheers

The very words of Sandi's post justifies to me why we need a seperate forum for say Princess Aust from the P&O Aust Forum. When I first read Sandi's post I thought she was talking about the Sun Princess and the Dawn Princess. On second reading a figure she is actually referring to the Pacific Sun and the Pacific Dawn.

------ Those that sit in both camps are usually careful about how they refer to ships to avoid confusion.

Its made a bit more complicated when people use just the letter P...it can relate to either Pacific or Princess and often it is used as either a prefix or a suffix..................

Hi Flipper, I am usually very careful to give ships their correct names, however, in this instance rkmw was referring to P&O, the Pearl and Jewel. Therefore, as I quoted his post, I took it for granted that every reader would know to which ships I was referring. Sorry you had a problem with it.

Regards

S

The simple issue is that P&O cruisers come to this forum with a mind set all about P&O Aust Ships (Pac Dawn, Sun Jewel Pearl etc). The cruisers (like myself) who are Princess devotees (mainly because of Captian Circle credits etc) come here (through experience) but with a mind set mainly about the Sun Princess and the Dawn Princess and the Sea Princess and perhaps the Diamond Princess. Those that sit in both camps are usually careful about how they refer to ships to avoid confusion.

Its made a bit more complicated when people use just the letter P...it can relate to either Pacific or Princess and often it is used as either a prefix or a suffix.

So Walt.... this has been going on for at least 3 years...lets get something rational happening

Cheers

I agree there so many posts that do not refer to full names of the ships and many other things as well any one new do have a clue what some postes are are about some times its getting like tring to read a text on a phone/ or morce code. I do my posts are not the best but to aleast I try to put the full name in.

I agree there so many posts that do not refer to full names of the ships and many other things as well any one new do have a clue what some postes are are about some times it get like tring to read a text on a phone/ or morce code.

You're kidding, right? :D I am sorry to say that your posts are the hardest to read and understand.

Archived