Half Moon Cay POOLS??!?

mpduquaine

I was at Half Moon Cay last year, I konw they have made changes since then. Including a pool and other things, Horseback Riding? Anything else and is the pool only for children or is it for anyone?????

Thanks!

Happy Wisconsinites!

Pudgesmom-

I know it may sound dumb about the pool and understandably there are calm seas, but the last time I was at HMC we had 36' seas and the water was too rought to even swim in let alone snorkel. 7 days at sea and never could we snorkel or swim! There are times like this that really do happen- So, please don't think I wouldn't prefer the seas- That is always my first choice!

The whole week was ave. 36' seas. It was actually dangerous that we tendered over. The waves came over the top of the tender and it was incredibly rough. I never thought that time of the year would be so rough. They said it was rougher than hurrican weather with gale winds the whole time, except when we were in Tortola, Finally a relief of managable seas. We went 1 year to the date prior and had a completely different forcast. flat seas 80's everyday and then the next yera 36' seas and never hit higher than mid 70's.

The whole week was ave. 36' seas. It was actually dangerous that we tendered over. The waves came over the top of the tender and it was incredibly rough. I never thought that time of the year would be so rough. They said it was rougher than hurrican weather with gale winds the whole time, except when we were in Tortola, Finally a relief of managable seas. We went 1 year to the date prior and had a completely different forcast. flat seas 80's everyday and then the next yera 36' seas and never hit higher than mid 70's.

WOW - I thought that must have been a type like 3-6 feet seas - 36 feet seas I would be scared to death!!!!

.... It was actually dangerous that we tendered over. The waves came over the top of the tender and it was incredibly rough...... They said it was rougher than hurrican weather with gale winds ....

The waves came over the top of the tender??? I've never heard of tendering under those kind of conditions. How in the world did pax ever get on and off the tender? It can be hard to step from ship to tender and reverse in just 'choppy' seas. :eek:

Okay Okay, Stone me. If you check out the seas for last year out of Ft Lauderdale Feb 28, 2004-March 6th 2004, doing the eastern caribbean, you will see that the seas were incredibley rough. very uncommonly rough! The daily weather was 27'-36' seas. They didn't want to freak out the Pax and let us know that the seas were actually over 40' for the first 3 days. As was told to me by the Hotel Manager, Diderik Van Regemorter, when I had to speak to him on our safety of our room flooding, as it had to do with pipes breaking during route, due to the rough seas. Yes our voyage was rough, treacherous and I had wish that it had been canceled! But we did make the most of it. Thankfully we had great sea legs, but felt bad for the elderly and those who were sick throughout their voyage. It did leave the ship feeling empty in the shows and dining rooms, as many were sick in their rooms. During my cruise at that time, the decks were vacated, as were the lounges, dining rooms, etc. Due to the seas. We were told to not even think of going to our balconies during this cruise, unless we were in Port at Tortola. We almost didn't get into port at St Thomas, but the Capt. navigated us in, but not with out many bumps and movement. i did not post my ? about pools to have a he said she said. I was on the ship when , yes it was indeed the roughest I have ever seen the seas and I would not wish being in those conditions on to anyone out there, even those of you who are in question. I know I would be questioning also the seas, but having been there and felt the seas, I have no question on the fury of the sea.

All I asked was a simple question. Sorry to have ruffled your feathers and caused a stir. i guess this board is not a friendly as the others I have been on.

Sorry mpduquaine, but I also question that any captain would launch tenders and then attempt to board passengers in them in 36 foot seas - that would be next to impossible - and practically suicidal. I've sailed those waters many times in my own boat and have never heard of seas such as that except during a hurricane.

I was at Half Moon Cay last year, I konw they have made changes since then. Including a pool and other things, Horseback Riding? Anything else and is the pool only for children or is it for anyone?????

Pool? No, I don't think so. Why on earth would anyone want a pool when you have the beautiful blue Carribean at your feet?

I do know, however, that they built some sort of water park at a section of the beach for kids. Lots of water toy structures and things like that for the kids to play and climb on. But, no ... no pool that I am aware of.

And, yes, lots of new excursions such as those you mention above. I can't wait to get back to Half Moon Cay and experience some of these things. Sadly, it doesn't look like that's gonna happen for a while in light of my future Pacific Ocean bookings. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

Um ... I live in South Florida, and the weather reports always include the coastal seas and offshore. Rough seas ... I'm thinking maybe 10-footers. I've never heard a weather forecast that included 36-foot waves. Not even during the hurricanes.

I just checked several newspapers and the sea conditions are labeled "moderate" with 2-4 foot waves, rough with 5-7 foot waves.

When I was cruising on the Zui in 2003, we had gale winds and rough seas of 16-18 feet. Could not get in to St. Martin and headed for St. Thomas -- and then had a tough time getting in.

36-foot waves AND tendering into HMC? sorry, but that is not in the realm of possibilities. Not in a vessel of that size.

As someone said above, they couldn't even get a tender next to the ship in water that rough, in order for the pax to transfer from the platform into the tender.

Archived