Thoughts on buying purses at the Straw Market Nassau?

bunchesofun

Coach Outlet Stores ALWAYS hand out 30% off printable coupons on CLEARANCE PRICES. Please people, stop buying knockoffs and buy the real thing. Save the knock-offs for the tween set.

I have to agree with you - just bought my daughter (who has carried Dooney & Burke and Coach since she was in 6th grade), a really nice Coach purse at the outlet in Orlando. The original price was $248 and we got it for $97 + tax. One good quality purse is way more practical than a couple cheaply made ones. Most of the people who carry the knockoffs don't realize if you shop well, you can get an authentic purse for not too much more than you pay for the fakes.

Beware of knockoffs:

My daughter bought a knock-off from a "vender" on the streets in NYC. It cost her $35. Two weeks later the zipper broke. That's another reason why we don't buy knockoffs anymore.

I have to agree with you - just bought my daughter (who has carried Dooney & Burke and Coach since she was in 6th grade), a really nice Coach purse at the outlet in Orlando. The original price was $248 and we got it for $97 + tax. One good quality purse is way more practical than a couple cheaply made ones. Most of the people who carry the knockoffs don't realize if you shop well, you can get an authentic purse for not too much more than you pay for the fakes.

I wasnt trying to fool anyone, and my purse looks like its well made to me. good leather, well stitched. How do you know its cheaply made? I just saw a black purse and wanted it because it was a good color and size. I wasnt really trying to purse shop. I think I did pay $35, but its nice leather.

I wasnt even shopping for a purse, saw it, liked it, so I bought it.

That place has THOUSANDS of purses! OMG! We stopped in there and I about went nuts! I knew we were there for the long haul! Thank goodness she found what she wanted, haggled, and got the darn thing! She still uses it (for her gym/workout bag) to this day! :D

I wasnt trying to fool anyone, and my purse looks like its well made to me. good leather, well stitched. How do you know its cheaply made? I just saw a black purse and wanted it because it was a good color and size. I wasnt really trying to purse shop. I think I did pay $35, but its nice leather.

I wasnt even shopping for a purse, saw it, liked it, so I bought it.

Most of the standard knockoffs are pretty cheaply made - I have a good friend that sells them and I see the quality first hand. I'm sure that there are better quality ones and if you are happy with them, that's great!!

I detest the straw market with its narrow aisles packed with people, and the vendors who give attitude if we don't stop to look, or buy from their area. However, dd20 and dh look at it as a "sport", and enjoy the bargaining that goes on. There are some of the "real" bags there - dd knows what and where to look on the bag to make sure it is real. It is more expensive than the knock-offs, but way less expensive than the dept./specialty stores by us. She comes away happy, dh comes away poorer, and I just run to get out of the place!:p

33;296090[/url]03]No wonder people are thinking they cant buy it and use it. .. so do you have anything to base this on in the Bahamas law.. or just guessing to scare people.

Thanks for asking. Please click here for an article about the illegal goods. If you don't want to click on the link, here is the URL: http://www.bahamasb2b.com/news/2010/09/bahamian-vendors-charged-with-possession-of-counterfeit-goods-2277.html

Thanks for asking. Please click here for an article about the illegal goods. If you don't want to click on the link, here is the URL: http://www.bahamasb2b.com/news/2010/09/bahamian-vendors-charged-with-possession-of-counterfeit-goods-2277.html

Seven of the nine Bahamian straw vendors, arrested on Saturday at JFK airport in New York City, were charged in a US court yesterday for possession of counterfeit goods.

I asked about the law in the Bahmas.. not if they can bring them here and sell them.

JKF is in the US.

So is it illegal to buy one there in Nassau or not?

I asked about the law in the Bahmas.. not if they can bring them here and sell them.

JKF is in the US.

So is it illegal to buy one there in Nassau or not?

That article states that it is:

The fact is, most Bahamian straw vendors are criminals, deriving the majority of their income from selling illegal counterfeit merchandise – “knock-offs” of products manufactured by Gucci, Prada, Dolce and Gabana, Juicy Couture and other designer fashion goods.

A stroll through Nassau’s downtown straw market reveals that virtually every stall sells at least some fake designer goods. Despite pledges from the Royal Bahamas Police Force, which is under pressure by U.S. authorities to eradicate such behaviour, the sales of counterfeit products has only increased over the years, mainly because the Bahamas government is all talk and no action.

If there was not a law against it in the Bahamas, they would not be considered "criminals."

I remember when the straw market actually had a lot of staw goods (about 40 years ago), baskets, dolls, bags, totes. Now everything is from China and even the straw items are rarely locally made. :(

I still have my straw dolls that I purchased at the Straw Market 41 years ago. I also have a picture of the woman who I bought them from - she was making them right there for everyone to see.

We visited the Straw Market this May, and it was truly disappointing - lots of junk and nothing that I'd spend my money on. Counterfeit bags are available everywhere stateside. Why would anyone buy bags at the Straw Market that are smuggled into the Bahamas from the US??

I'm the OP and I did end up buying a purse at the straw market. We walked all through it and I wasn't seeing what I wanted until about the last stall we looked at. Nice black purse. Paid $40 for it. It's nicely made and does say "Prada". None too soon as the purse I was using fell apart on the trip. Thanks for all the thoughts on this.

I haven't been to Nassua - but do any of the other islands have a straw market where you can buy purses and other cool knock offs?? I'm not really interested in purses much, but maybe some jewelry or watches??

We got a "rolex" for our DD as a joke in St. Maarten (Dutch side). It was in a regular store, not market. We paid $25. If we wanted a box, it was $10 extra.

If you buy a fake in Nassau just make sure that you put it in your checked bag and hope that ICE does not select your bag to open. While on a cruise on the Glory out of Port Canaveral in Sept. of 2009 lots of people bought LV, Gucci and Prada knock offs - duffel bags and purses. They made the mistake of carrying them off the ship filled with their other purchases. The customs officials confiscated the bags - it is illegal to import fakes into the US whether for your own use or to resell. The people were mighty upset as they dumped the contents of their fabulous fakes into plastic garbage bags that Customs was nice enough to provide. I was asked 3 questions upon arrival in Port Canaveral - did I purchase any alcohol? any prescription drugs ? and any designer knock offs? Luckily I was able to truthfully answer no to all 3 and was out of there in a flash. I actually looked at the bags in the straw market, but thought they were priced way too high for fakes. Also, I couldn't stand the hard sell in the Straw Market and got out of there as fast as I could, especially since I was there alone. Sure not the straw market of the past when it was basically all Bahamian crafts.

Archived