can you keep conch shell? Don't be mean people!

Missiowa

We had bought some of the big shells in Cayman and brought them back with us in our luggage - never had a problem

My daughter wanted one and bought one in Jamaica from a shop so it was just the shell. She didn't want to put it in her luggage so she put it in her tote bag and carried it off the ship. Customs saw it when we exited the ship and we went through customs. They made a big deal - no shells and they confiscated it (no trouble, they just took it)

Definitely have it out of sight in your luggage. I am not sure what the official rules are but we lost one that they saw. We never had a problem otherwise but the shells were in the luggage, not in a tote

The same thing happend to me when we got back from the Bahama's in Norfolk, We were honest and put it on our customs form and I got pulled to the side and they searched everything I had and took the shell saying that we were not allowed to bring th shells back to the states

As other poster said, just make sure when you take the shell, you know how to pronounce it...LOL!

Konk

One of these days, I do need to try it. I don't like Calamari, but if someone with me ordered Conch, I would try it. I will usually try something once and then decide if I like or not.

Finding a conch alive sounds really neat, but unless there's someone around that can cook it up for lunch for you it sounds kind of inhumane to just tear the animal out or just leave it die to waste. I think maybe it would be a good idea to get a great picture of it then leave it be. Then go to one of the markets and buy a nice shell. My son bartered them down to $10 for a real big one. It now sits in our living room and reminds me of Dominican Republic every time I look at it.

Have fun whatever you do.:)

I bought one on the dock in Nassau 2 years ago. Didn't have any trouble on the ship, but when we got back to Port, we had to go to the "special line" and talk with the port authority! When I said I "bought it" then it was fine.

I found a beautiful white conch at Cockleshell Beach (imagine that, eh? ;)) when we visited St. Kitts. This was the first time I have ever found a shell nice enough to want to take. Since there were no little "friends" in it, I rolled it up in a towel (to protect it) and brought it on board.

When I packed to go home, I packed the shell rolled up in socks and put it in one of my husband's dress shoes. It was as big as his size 13 feet so my shell had a shell to keep it safe. It made it through the trip home in tact. I put it in checked baggage.

I honestly didn't think to "declare" it or anything like that. :o

If, by chance, a beautiful conch shell rolls onto shore on the beach...will it be obvious whether or not the conch creature is still living in it? Sorry to sound ignorant, but I really have only seen them already cleaned out. Just curious!

There will be a little hole on the top of the closed end near trhe point.

A lot of the ones you find in Grand Turk were tossed out by the people who catch them for the meat. They dump them back onto the beach or back into the water near the shore. A couple of our friends were on the first Carnival cruise to stop there, their tour guide told them this. As a previous poster said, if you do get one that's a little stinky soak it in bleach water for a couple of days.

Which list? It certainly isn't on all lists. They are in no danger of extinction.

......While I recognize that most people must be talking about the Caribbean - Conch is not only found there. It is also found in Florida and US Waters.

"Conservation Efforts

Queen conch are managed under national regulation. In the United States, all takes of queen conch are prohibited in Florida and adjacent Federal waters."

"Regulatory Overview

The queen conch is not listed under the Endangered Species Act (ESA), but is recognized under Annex II of the SPAW Protocol and Appendix II of CITES."

From - http: //www .fws. gov/endangered/news/bulletin-summer2009/cites-gives-hope.html

Another source of information - http:// www .fws. gov/endangered/news/bulletin-summer2009/cites-gives-hope.html

So, no. They are not specifically endangered. However, at least in the United States and in Federal Waters they have special protections. Some of the species of conch (there are more than one...) are at a higher risk of endangerment than others. For example, the Queen Conch - it's the "bigger, cooler, prettier shell" that tourists want. Other species are not in high demand thus are not at a great risk of endangerment but they may still need protection to keep the species alive.

Just as a note - I don't care one way or another. What someone else does or does not do with regard to this matter has no effect on me. However, I would say if it were me I would either look for a shell that is uninhabitated or purchase one as there is no chance that I would eat the mollusk.

Archived