can you keep conch shell? Don't be mean people!

Missiowa

Hello, can you bring back conch shells back on ship that you find snorkeling? How do you get that little animal out so it doesn't get stinky? Last time we brought about 20 hermit crabs back to the US with us, went through xray, security and everything and no one said a word but conch shells are much bigger.

i brought a beautiful conch shell home from the bahama's, the fisherman had already cleaned out the conch. It makes me smile every time I look at that shell. Yes you can bring it home with you, but I do not know how you woulout, but i'm sure an islander would be willing to show you.

Unbeknownst to me, my husband tried to sneak one back on the ship. They found it and told him that he couldn't keep it. He tried to claim that he bought it at a souvenier shop - but it was pretty obvious by the critter still in it that he had not. What a dork.

In the end, he didn't get to keep it.

My daughter found several large and small ones in the surf in Grand Turk in 2009. They didn't have any critters in them and she had no problem bringing them on the ship or into port at Ft. Lauderdale. No one said anything about it not being allowed. She didn't try to hide them. She gave me one that would have cost over $100 for one that size in the gift shop on the island. Every time we look at it we remember a great trip. :)

P.S. They did not stink at all.

I was just in Nassau last week and there are plenty of conch shells already cleaned, repaired and polished up that you can bring back.

To get the conch out of the shell they have to crack open the tip, slide a knife in and cut the foot loose. Then the critter comes right out. The ones that are going to be sold have the little slit that they made to cut the foot loose repaired.

Our tour guide stopped at a little farmers market and bought lime, orange, red onion and a habanero pepper, then we went over to the conch guy who had just caught them that morning and he cleaned one and diced it up real small and made traditional conch salad which is actually just ceveche....

It was deicious, although the conch has such a mild flavor it was kind of like finely diced calamari in texture and wasn't fishey at all.

Best thing about Grand Turk is the conch shells that are already washed up on the shoreline. There are tons of them. I was in heaven when I found them. (There was a CC thread that gave the information). I brought back about ten (managed to find suitcase room) and gave them all away to my friends except for one for me!

This was one of the highlights of our cruise. It was a heavy load to haul and while I was out gathering them up the rest of my cruise group was at Margaritaville drinking. I showed up there with my treasures in tow and took down a welcome Margarita! :D

I didn't hide them; they were no longer alive. Enjoy ! Few gifts as priceless as the ones nature gives us. :rolleyes:

Have fun and let me know how the conch search goes.!

Hello, can you bring back conch shells back on ship that you find snorkeling? How do you get that little animal out so it doesn't get stinky? Last time we brought about 20 hermit crabs back to the US with us, went through xray, security and everything and no one said a word but conch shells are much bigger.

Are you gonna eat the conch? Kindof like bagging a tiger if you're not gonna eat it. How ya gonna find a person to give it to?

How many of those Hermit Crabs are still alive?

Have no problem with people killing animals for food. Know many people who process their own rabbits for food and fur. And others who hunt deer for their freezer. Most depressing thing I saw was a 'trophy room' full of game African game animals. Not one bit of meat was eaten.

(off my soapbox)

Just buy a shell then you will have no worries about the smell.

Im thinking St Thomas or another island, NOT the US ... Thanks

St Thomas is part of the United Stated Virgin Islands.

Sonme years ago we bought one from somebody in the Bahamas and did not have a problem bringing it home. Still hangs out in our family room.

Never a smell so presumably the little critter was long gone when we bought it.

I think you may be able to pay one of the eateries to cook it for you if you ask around depending on where you get it. Giving the meat away to someone is also a fine idea for someone to make a meal out of it.

I'd suggest you ask when you board the ship as well if you can bring a cleaned but unpolished shell just to be on the safe side. If it is clean I suspect you will have no issue with it at customs since they do allow you to bring purchased shells, but you never know.

It is actually a good question.

St Thomas is the US. It is part of the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Most of the gift shops in Florida and around the Carribbean have

conch shells for sales. Most have been nicely cleaned up and polished.

Some will also be decorated with local culture or the name of the island/country.

While stationed in St. Thomas I found the easiest way to get the critter

out without breaking the shell was to put it in the freezer for a couple of hours. A Rosta man taught me that one. Then you beat it with a tenderizer

mallet , put in an egg wash, a little flour, and into the frier, YUM:rolleyes:, tastes

almost as good as New England fried clams. Some say it tastes like chicken,

but doesn't everything, except liver :eek:.

We went to Nassau in February- GD found a very large shell that she thought she was going to bring home. She put it on the small table next to my chair. As the shell was drying I was amazed at the number of small shell things just dropping out of that large shell. (I mean there must have been hundreds---no kidding.)

I called her out of the water-- showed her her little friends and told her to put the shell back in the water so those animals can go home to their families.

If you really want a shell-- Im sure you can buy one withno anilmals to take home.

Imagine the smell -

Last time I was in Nassau, There were alot of vendors selling conch shells at the straw market. TEN DOLLARS when you arrived, TWO DOLLARS, when you reboarded the ship. Plus you don't have to carry it around all day.

Archived