can you keep conch shell? Don't be mean people!

Missiowa

We were in Cozumel (Nachi) on a very rough sea day and we found 6 huge conch shells washed up on the beach. We took pictures of them and just brought one back. We had no trouble bringing it home. Beware they are very heavy and take up a lot of room in the luggage.

Thanks, yes i would be more than happy to give them the meat, i just think it means more to my kids if they find and keep the shells they find!

It would be nice for your kids to learn to release the live animals they find instead of killing them.

Last time I was in Nassau, There were alot of vendors selling conch shells at the straw market. TEN DOLLARS when you arrived, TWO DOLLARS, when you reboarded the ship. Plus you don't have to carry it around all day.

Funny how that works.:) Thanks for the reminder.

When I was in the Dominican a couple years ago there was a local walking the beaches trying to sell some big, beautiful conch shells. They were cool but I didn't have any money on me and I didn't want to carry it around.

I hope to find one snorkeling sometime but I won't keep it unless its empty. Pretty cruel to kill an animal just so you can have a souvenir, IMO.

Unbeknownst to me, my husband tried to sneak one back on the ship. They found it and told him that he couldn't keep it. He tried to claim that he bought it at a souvenier shop - but it was pretty obvious by the critter still in it that he had not. What a dork.

In the end, he didn't get to keep it.

Sounds like something "dorky" my husband would do :)

In Cozumel there were stores selling all kinds of various shells. Just buy one then you don't have to worry about it. Be prepared for any you bring on board to be inspected. I bought one that has three shells that were carved into flowers and I had to unwrap it so they could look at it.

If they were on the endangered species list I don't think they would also be served in restaurants (at least not openly!).

Not true:

"The Islands are famous for conch, a creature which is on the endangered species list but is readily available here and a delicacy in the local restaurants. They are farmed and restrictions on where and when wild conch can be collected help preserve the stocks. Conch shells can be found along the beaches and in the past the shells have been used for tools."

And of course, many locals consider a special part of the conch meat to be a male aphrodisiac, with viagara like properties.

However, laws and customs vary, so what is okay in Nassau, may be illegal in Antigua.

Shoot pictures and leave footprints is still good advice.

Not true:

"The Islands are famous for conch, a creature which is on the endangered species list but is readily available here and a delicacy in the local restaurants. They are farmed and restrictions on where and when wild conch can be collected help preserve the stocks. Conch shells can be found along the beaches and in the past the shells have been used for tools."

Which list? It certainly isn't on all lists. They are in no danger of extinction.

I did a snorkling picnic in Belize one year; we dove for the conch, then the crew made lunch out of the critters. We took the shells back to the hotel, soaked them in a bucket of bleach to sanitize them and brought them home, no problem. If they are reasonably clean coming back on the ship, they should get through security. Then you can soak them in your room, I guess.

I guess I'm alone here, but I believe in leaving things where I find them. If everyone takes something with them, there will be nothing left for others to see and enjoy one day. These animals shouldn't be forced from their homes or killed just so you or your kids could have a free souvenir.

"Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints"

We had bought some of the big shells in Cayman and brought them back with us in our luggage - never had a problem

My daughter wanted one and bought one in Jamaica from a shop so it was just the shell. She didn't want to put it in her luggage so she put it in her tote bag and carried it off the ship. Customs saw it when we exited the ship and we went through customs. They made a big deal - no shells and they confiscated it (no trouble, they just took it)

Definitely have it out of sight in your luggage. I am not sure what the official rules are but we lost one that they saw. We never had a problem otherwise but the shells were in the luggage, not in a tote

I guess I'm alone here, but I believe in leaving things where I find them. If everyone takes something with them, there will be nothing left for others to see and enjoy one day. These animals shouldn't be forced from their homes or killed just so you or your kids could have a free souvenir.

You don't collect sea shells bring back sand or collect anything from your travels?

Locals eat the meat and leave the shells for us tourists.

Just a thought.

I hope you don't do the same for bedbugs,cockroaches,ect... Go ahead and take those with you although if you did then you wouldn't be true.;)

Gimme back those pearls. No more leather shoes - just cheap rubber flip-flops. :p

One reason the ships don't like you to bring on ones you found is because if you don't clean them out, they will stink to high heaven in no time. Then the people who had them no longer want them and leave the mess for the ship to deal with.

I brought two back from my first cruise in 2002; found them both snorkeling (in Cozumel, in front of Mr. Sanchos), so a much better souvenier than just buying one in the gift shop. Mine didn't have critters still in them.

I found a beautiful one in San Salvador Island all encrusted and bleached white by the sun. Looked like it had been there for years.

Archived