Is it better to take a Private Tour In Athens??

IsandDreams

:)Hi All!!!

In need of some advice. I am a very confused about whether I should book a Cruise tour. However I should mention that, I do not like the idea of being with so many people in the bus and not being able to be flexible and truly explore Athens.

I have done some reading about the hop- on hop - off bus and many people have said it isn’t really worth it. So I am confused about whether I should book a private tour but it is expensive.

I am however willing and thinking about splurging a bit with my budget and take a Private Tour, so that I can really enjoy my stay in Athens.

We are a group that consists of 2 families travelling together and we also have kids travelling with us.

Any suggestions???!!

:)Hi All!!!

In need of some advice. I am a very confused about whether I should book a Cruise tour. However I should mention that, I do not like the idea of being with so many people in the bus and not being able to be flexible and truly explore Athens.

I have done some reading about the hop- on hop - off bus and many people have said it isn’t really worth it. So I am confused about whether I should book a private tour but it is expensive.

I am however willing and thinking about splurging a bit with my budget and take a Private Tour, so that I can really enjoy my stay in Athens.

We are a group that consists of 2 families travelling together and we also have kids travelling with us.

Any suggestions???!!

Definitely hire a private driver, such as Athenstaxi or Greektaxi. They get you closer to the site and have a smaller van. You can do a search of this thread in the upper right hand corner. With 2 families, you should have enough people to make the cost reasonable. We went to our roll call and shared with another couple, so there were 4 of us and the cost was 50 EUR pp. for an 8 hour tour of Athens including a stop for lunch at a local restaurant the driver himself goes to, not a tourist trap.

Cruiseline tours are going to cost you double, trust me.

Due to traveling with your kids more than likely means that they will be on a school break you will be traveling during the busy season.

Athens will be very busy. There's so much to see and so little time.

I agree with the above poster. Hire a driver or take an excursion.

If you have 6 or more people go PRIVATE! Avoid the cruise bus tour at all cost. With a little research there are many private drivers that will provide you curbside service, give you good history on the drive. You likely won't save money but precious time and have a better experience.

Athens can be done DIY with a little walking, taxi and public transportation. If you go in the summer it can/will be hot, crowded and private vehicle is even more attractive. Is it worth the splurge only you can decide whether this port or another

Athens is one of the most extraordinary cities in the world from a historical and artistic perspective. This is the place where you need to do a private tour if you are only going to be there one day. This will let you maximize your sightseeing without worrying about the logistics of transportation from here to there.

We first visited Athens when our kids were between 7 and 10. For years afterwards they would see a picture or read something in their school books and say "I saw that!" or "we were there!" We have been back many times and never cease to be impressed by the city and the country. Each of our children have also gone back on their own a couple of times. Those are memories that have stayed with them for a long time.

Walking and DIY are fine if you are going to be there a few days. But it is much more efficient to do a private tour if you are only there for a day. You will not regret it.

I booked with Paul Kalomiris for transfers and for the 1/2 day sunset tour to Cape Sounion to see the Temple of Poseidon--gorgeous views! Check them out at athensbytaxi

I agree that the Temple of Poseidon is gorgeous and I didn't get to see it at sunset. However, for two families that have one day in Athens I would recommend sticking with a Private Tour in Athens and not venturing off to Cape Sounion. There's so much to see in Athens alone and so little time!

Our party of 9 is booked with Nikos and Private Greece Tours for our upcoming trip. He's received great reviews on this board. I think it's important with families and kids that you have some flexibility and not the cattle call of the cruise line tours. Plus, it's ending up cheaper.

Eleanor: which taxi company did you go with for $50 euros? That seems like a great deal compared to the prices Ive been looking at. Thanks!

We used Greektaxi, and it was 50 EUROs pp. There were 4 of us and it was in October 2008. I'm not sure what the charge is now. Good Luck!

We were just there last August and used Nikos, also! He is AWESOME. He drove us all over...We were one of the first people at the Acropolis. We were nearly done by the time all the cruise excursion people came up there. He waits for you everywhere and you can leave your things in his trunk. He's always with the car and is VERY knowledgeable. He lived in the states for about 20 years. I cannot recommend him highly enough. We took either private tours or on our own tours throughout our cruise and it was wonderful...No problems.

• 1 month later...

has anyone used Nikos company but not Nikos, I contacted him and he is busy on the day of my trip, but offered me another driver and tour guide.

what do you guys think about that?

While I feel Athens is easy to do on your own using the metro, I can highly recommend Jordan, who took us on a wonderful daytrip to Corinth, Mycenae, and Epidavros.

http://www.athens-tours.gr/

He was very entertaining, keeping us on our toes with stories about ancient Greece and Greek mythology all day. I'm sure his Athens tours would be excellent as well.

I think he can only take 2-3 people in his taxi, so not for large groups.

I highly recommend Spiros Taxi Service (if the link below gets **'d, just Google this name). We have taken three tours through his company in the past and have a fourth reserved for our cruise in August. Every driver was excellent and lots of fun. Service was terrific. We got started early, were at the Acropolis before the crowds (and heat!), went to the archeological museum, the Plaka and still had time for the drive out to Sounion/Temple of Posiedon. The rates are reasonable and I would really recommend this as the best way for your family group to see Athens. We have also taken his tour to Delphi, also amazing.

http://********************/index.htm

Archived