Anyone used the train from FLL to MIA?

Missiowa

Hello, I saw on a blog that alot of people use the train from FLL to MIA. We are flying into FLL the day before our cruise. We are in no hurry to get to our hotel. Thought we would fly into FLL hop on the train, take it to MIA and have our hotel pick us up at the MIA and take us to our hotel. Then the next day just take a cab to the POA. I checked on the website, it is only $2.25 per person, that is a heck of alot cheaper than a shuttle($13pp, or cab$75-$80). Any ideas on this train? the good, the bad?

We did exactly that just last month. It worked like a charm. You pick up your luggage at luggage claim at FLL and follow the signs - a free bus takes you to the tri-rail station and from there it's very simple.

There are electronic kiosks where you purchase your tickets and the area to wait for the train is very nice - clean with benches, some shaded, and snack and drink machines in case by then you're starved or dying of thirst. The kiosks take either cash or credit cards (the snack machines only take cash) - depending on what time you arrive in FLL there may or may not be an agent on duty.

The train has 2 cars that hold luggage - the rear two - and there are very comfortable seats with tables between some - we're from the Chicago area and these trains are WAY nicer and a lot more comfortable than the Metra Chicago trains - the compare more to the lne that runs from Newark, NJ to NYC - the trains are two levels and we didn't have any trouble finding a seat.

Upon arriving at MIA, we grabbed a cab to our hotel since ours didn't have shuttle service. I can't tell you exactly what to do if you're going to the airport, but it looked like there were shuttles running there, too.

Good luck - this worked well for us and we'd do it again.

We did exactly that just last month. It worked like a charm. You pick up your luggage at luggage claim at FLL and follow the signs - a free bus takes you to the tri-rail station and from there it's very simple.

There are electronic kiosks where you purchase your tickets and the area to wait for the train is very nice - clean with benches, some shaded, and snack and drink machines in case by then you're starved or dying of thirst. The kiosks take either cash or credit cards (the snack machines only take cash) - depending on what time you arrive in FLL there may or may not be an agent on duty.

The train has 2 cars that hold luggage - the rear two - and there are very comfortable seats with tables between some - we're from the Chicago area and these trains are WAY nicer and a lot more comfortable than the Metra Chicago trains - the compare more to the lne that runs from Newark, NJ to NYC - the trains are two levels and we didn't have any trouble finding a seat.

Upon arriving at MIA, we grabbed a cab to our hotel since ours didn't have shuttle service. I can't tell you exactly what to do if you're going to the airport, but it looked like there were shuttles running there, too.

Thanks so much for your help! I was a little nervious. We have been on the subways in Chicago, is it similar to those but nicer? How long did it take from FLL to MIA? Thanks for your kindness!

yes, fire, here in Iowa, we call those things that run on tracks to be trains. Its called Tri-Rail.

I lived in the area so Im used to calling it tri rail not the train as Amtrak also goes on the same tracks and carrys passengers.

Amtrak goes right down the coast and its also a great idea if you live near the route.

I easily took the bus in Miami from the airport for $2 to get to my hotel last time.

We call them trains here, too - must be a midwest thing, lol. There are 3 different "rail type services" in Miami - including the people mover thing in downtown, but in my opinion - the other 2 both qualify as trains - the people mover is more like the monorail at Disney World - but it doesn't look quite as cool.

This is NOTHING like the subway - those are a different system than the Metra trains I was referring to - more like buses on rail tracks. These are great - very comfortable seats, some face each other with a table in the middle, lots of leg room ... and you barely even feel it move.

Our flight landed at 1:30 and we were checking into the hotel by 4 - it took us awhile to get through the airport, though, because my mom always overpacks and she had as much luggage as my daughter and I combined ... still, to save a little time and net a $50+ savings on transportation (yours will be even more if you're using a hotel shuttle) - it almost covered the steakhouse for us! I think the train ride itself was about 45 minutes - but I'm not sure since I turned my phone off and stopped keeping track of time - it didn't matter anymore since I didn't really have anyplace I had to be, lol.

As a former Amtrak consultant, let me clarify a couple of things in this thread. Both Tri-rail and Amtrak operate passenger trains between FLL and MIA. Tri-rail is the commuter authority and has considerably better frequency and, in actuality, faster service to MIA. The previous poster has summarized Tri-rail quite well and I see no need to rehash that. I also suggest the OP not even consider Amtrak for this trip. I am not even sure they pick up passengers for MIA in FLL (and am too lazy to look this up).

Doc

As a former Amtrak consultant, let me clarify a couple of things in this thread. Both Tri-rail and Amtrak operate passenger trains between FLL and MIA. Tri-rail is the commuter authority and has considerably better frequency and, in actuality, faster service to MIA. The previous poster has summarized Tri-rail quite well and I see no need to rehash that. I also suggest the OP not even consider Amtrak for this trip. I am not even sure they pick up passengers for MIA in FLL (and am too lazy to look this up).

Doc

I love that your cruise for the melting cake!! I love that stuff. craving it now, its funny how they don't tell you till the end of the cruise that it is a million calories! Who care... its vacation right?

Doc

But if you live in Wash DC its a straight shot commute to S. FL

Tri Rail and the bus system in Miami is great. Bus in other areas not so frequent.

We were at Intercontinental Hotel in Miami near Bayport and there is a govt building close by to purchase bus tickets. We had a day between two cruises where we did the bus to South Beach for the day too. $2 pp, just slide the bills into the slot on the bus if you dont need to transfer, no transfer needed.

OP you will be fine.

Thanks for the feedback, but perhaps I am missing something. :confused: The OP was interested in avoiding the expensive shuttle fees ($13-15 per person is pretty cheap for a 30 mile trip IMHO :o) to get from FLL to POM. You described catching the Tri-Rail near FLL for a couple of dollars and it took you to somewhere near the MIA airport - so to get from the Miami station to POM you'd need to spend another $25 or so for a cab? :confused: I don't see any savings, but do see lots of time spent riding on what some would call a train. :rolleyes:

What am I missing? :confused:

Thanks for the feedback, but perhaps I am missing something. :confused: The OP was interested in avoiding the expensive shuttle fees ($13-15 per person is pretty cheap for a 30 mile trip IMHO :o) to get from FLL to POM. You described catching the Tri-Rail near FLL for a couple of dollars and it took you to somewhere near the MIA airport - so to get from the Miami station to POM you'd need to spend another $25 or so for a cab? :confused: I don't see any savings, but do see lots of time spent riding on what some would call a train. :rolleyes:

What am I missing? :confused:

The hotel will pick us up from the airport for free and take us to the port for free. There are a few hotels out there that will do both for free, I think its rediculas to pay $60(4 of us) for a half our ride in a dirty van. We are taking the train!

Does the train go the other way, from Mia to Fll? How much is the train?

Nancy

I remember hearing some talk about the people mover being extended to POM. Not sure what ever came of that. There is also a plan to build a tunnel in Miami to the port. Anyone who has ever driven through that nightmare left turn area knows what I'm talking about. The truck traffic headed to the port is intense. Last trip we actually went an exit beyond and circled back around so we were making a right turn into the port and avoided that traffic.

We are cruising in may and will be taking our 2 daughters with us age 4 and 10 months. We fly into Fort Lauderdale and are thinking about taking the tri rail to maimi airport then going to POM from there. My 4 year old will think its the coolest thing ever to ride a train...however I am wondering if it will be really difficult to take the train instead of shuttle. We are fine to get all luggage and kids through the airport, will it be any different going on train like quick transfers, etc. We are definately on a budget so saving the $60 shuttle service and paying 2.25 per person (if that is the correct price, I thought I read that but now cant see it).

Thanks

We are cruising in may and will be taking our 2 daughters with us age 4 and 10 months. We fly into Fort Lauderdale and are thinking about taking the tri rail to maimi airport then going to POM from there. My 4 year old will think its the coolest thing ever to ride a train...however I am wondering if it will be really difficult to take the train instead of shuttle. We are fine to get all luggage and kids through the airport, will it be any different going on train like quick transfers, etc. We are definately on a budget so saving the $60 shuttle service and paying 2.25 per person (if that is the correct price, I thought I read that but now cant see it).

Thanks

With two small children and luggage you'll kill yourself on the train.

Contrary to what has been said, it is not timely and efficient and with luggage is a giant PIA.

Does the train go the other way, from Mia to Fll? How much is the train?

Yes, the train runs in both directions at regular intervals throughout the day. According to the Tri-Rail website, the one-way fare between the two airport stations is $3.75.

With two small children and luggage you'll kill yourself on the train.

Contrary to what has been said, it is not timely and efficient and with luggage is a giant PIA.

Probably true . . . but if your 4-year-old is anything like my 4 YO, he will LOVE the train. It's a double-decker, and you can sit on the upper level and watch the cars along I-95 (which the train runs right next to).

I don't know how familiar you are with trains in general, but if your image is of a dirty, grungy subway-type thing, scrub that image away. Tri-Rail is clean, modern, comfortable, and a very pleasant way to travel.

My vote would be to try it when you arrive, when you're not as pushed for time. If you like it, you can do it again on your way back out after the cruise (time permitting). If you think it was too much effort, then you can take a shuttle back.

We have used the tri-rail several times between Fll and MIa and have found it easy to use. Plus a lot cheaper!! We also found the people in the area willing to help you if you have questions about the train. As long as you aren't rushed for time you should do fine.

If you can handle your luggage at the airport you should be able to handle it getting on the train,just roll on. If you are waiting with your ticket right on the platform ready to board when the train stops you shouldn't have any trouble.

Hi,

our ship is arriving at Fort Lauderdale and we have to get from the port to our (not yet booked!) stop-over hotel in Miami. Can we use the Tri Rail, or does it only go from Airport to Airport?

Tri-Rail is a commuter-train service with stops in a number of locations along a north-south rail line that parallels, and for the most part is directly adjacent to, Interstate 95. I'm sure that any specific hotels you might be interested in could advise you as to their proximity to the line.

Tri Rail only goes from airport to airport and a bunch of other stops in between. You can go to www.trirail.com and check out anything else you may need. They have maps, prices, stops, etc.

We decided we are going to...

fly into FLL

hop on the shuttle that takes us to Trirail

take tri rail from FLL to MIA

call our hotel and have them take us for free from MIA to hotel

spend the night

take cab or hotel shuttle to POM in morning.

Now after cruise.......

we are either going to use SAS shuttle($13pp) or take a cab, depending if we are in a hurry or not, our plane in FLL leaves at 1130am.

Hope this tread helps! We are also on a budget. For a family of 4, it is sure alot cheaper to ride the tri rail than spend $50-80 on other transportation. We are in no hurry the day before our cruise. We figured the $60-70 we save, we can spend on a tropical island. My husband is handicapped and people are alway willing to help and be kind. I think if we can do it with a handicapped person, and 2 kids.... you should be fine with 2 small kids. Stick together and ask for directions to trirail and you should be fine!

What is the closest Tri Rail stop to the Port of Miami? Is it a quick taxi ride from that stop to the port?

The goverment center station is two miles from the ship, literially

Downtown Miami (Goverment Center Station) has Metro-Rail that runs north to the Tri Rail transfer station.

Get off Metro-Rail, down the escalators, to the Tri-Rail platform.

Tri-Rail runs every two hours on weekends and is well used.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

We have similar situation and is wondering the same thing! My sister's family and my family are cruising together. she is arrving at FLL and she is checking in a hotel near MIA b/c that's where we are staying. She has a 2 year old and a 6 month old. I am wondering if you've decided on what to do - train or shuttle. My understanding is that you still need to take a free connecting bus from FLL to the FLL Tri Rail (Train) station. and also from the MIA train station to MIA. (Our hotel offer free shuttle from MIA and to POM). Do you think that's a lot of transfers?

IF anyone has taken the FLL to MIA train with small children, would love to hear your feedback as well. Thanks.

Archived