Hotel Rio de Janeiro

no fuss travel

Does anyone have recommendations for a hotel? We want to stay post cruise next February. We also want to go to Iguacu Falls and are looking for advice on how to tour the falls. Oceania does not offer a tour to the falls from Rio. I already checked.

We have the Valpariso already figured out. We are going to arrive 4 days ahead so we can see the area before we board the ship. Here I am busy planning next years trip and I haven't even made it aboard the Marina in May yet.

Hello,

I would recommend the Rio Othon Palace direct at the famouse Copacabana. You should book a Junior Suite with a winter garden and stunning view till Corcovado.

Cheerio

Dennis

You should decide what area you want to stay in first. Copacabana and Ipanema are the two obvious choices, both on the beach. We chose Ipanema because it's a little less touristy and quiet, but it's also farther away from the centre of the city, and thus Sugarloaf. But close to other things. We really enjoyed staying in that area, but we had a private guide to take us around each day (this I recommend highly, btw.) Ipanema was fun at night, and we felt safe walking around on our own.

Does anyone have recommendations for a hotel? We want to stay post cruise next February. We also want to go to Iguacu Falls and are looking for advice on how to tour the falls. Oceania does not offer a tour to the falls from Rio. I already checked.

We have the Valpariso already figured out. We are going to arrive 4 days ahead so we can see the area before we board the ship. Here I am busy planning next years trip and I haven't even made it aboard the Marina in May yet.

I stayed at the Copacabana Palace Hotel. Our room had an awesome view of the beach and nearby sites. If you do not have a tour guide set up, I used Pedro Novak. He picked us up at the hotel everyday and we saw more in two days than some see in a week. I highly recommend him. Pedro Novak

Rio is one place I plan to return to. pnovak@privatetours.com.br

We toured with Oceania post-cruise trip when we did the Falls from Buenos Aires. I can advise to spend 2 nights there - one was not enough. Do the walk down (and climb back up) to do the boat ride and yes, you will get wet. We did just the Argentinian side but from what we heard, if we'd had tome we should have done the Brazilian side, too. I beleive you can get disfcount for 2nd day. We stayed in the park and our view from our romm wsa the falls. Amazing place.

Other than the Copacabana Palace itself there is not much reason to sat in Copacabana. Ipanema is much trendier, with lots of restaurants, shops, better beaches. Plus it's safer. If you want to go a bit further up Leblon is also very nice. Decent hotels in Ipanema include the Cesar Park but if you want something really current (if expensive) try the Fasano.

We were advised to steer clear of Copacabana area. Best Western Sol Ipanema is right on the beach and terrific location with lots of good restaurants, shops, etc. within walking distance. Best breakfast buffet I have ever seen in a hotel.

Other than the Copacabana Palace itself there is not much reason to sat in Copacabana. Ipanema is much trendier, with lots of restaurants, shops, better beaches. Plus it's safer. If you want to go a bit further up Leblon is also very nice. Decent hotels in Ipanema include the Cesar Park but if you want something really current (if expensive) try the Fasano.

Sorry Wripro, IMO I have to disagree with your post. :) The area around the Copacabana Palace is one of the safest which is why I decided to stay there. Also we need to define safe. Pickpocketing is nationwide. Also I found the shopping and restaurants just as top notch as those you found on Ipanema. I will stay there again. We were there in 2007 when the Rolling Stones gave a free concert to the people behind the hotel on the beach. Needless to say, there was an estimated million more people in town and still felt safe walking on the beach.

We stayed at Ipanema Plaza for 2 nites pre-cruise in March '09. It's a boutique property that's part of the Golden Tulip organization. It has large rooms, fabulous breakfast, swanky bar and great people-watching. It's in a safe neighborhood in the centre of Ipanema near shopping, restaurants & beaches. Not as uber chic as Copacabana Palace, but it did the job! For airport/cruise transfers and sightseeing, we used RioPlus and were very satisfied.

We stayed at Ipanema Plaza for 2 nites pre-cruise in March '09. It's a boutique property that's part of the Golden Tulip organization. It has large rooms, fabulous breakfast, swanky bar and great people-watching. It's in a safe neighborhood in the centre of Ipanema near shopping, restaurants & beaches. Not as uber chic as Copacabana Palace, but it did the job! For airport/cruise transfers and sightseeing, we used RioPlus and were very satisfied.

Lat year we used Rio Airport Transfer and booked airport transfer to hotel and then tranfer to ship the next day. Paid with credit card on-line ahead and just went to desk upon arrival. Very smooth a reasonably priced. Got discount for using them both ways. Found them through great site - Ihatetaxis.com that I have used on several occasions and recommend.It provides information on transportation alternatives and airports.

Thank you for all the help so far. I am still in the planning stage, but from what I have gathered on other boards, it would be a good idea to have everything reserved before we go. My TA found a trip for two nights to the falls that is less expensive that what O offers, and since I do not speak a word of Spanish, or Portuguese or Italian I would rather do a tour than try to do it my own. We are traveling with another couple and they want to do the falls as well.

Thank you for all the help so far. I am still in the planning stage, but from what I have gathered on other boards, it would be a good idea to have everything reserved before we go. My TA found a trip for two nights to the falls that is less expensive that what O offers, and since I do not speak a word of Spanish, or Portuguese or Italian I would rather do a tour than try to do it my own. We are traveling with another couple and they want to do the falls as well.

If we had it to do over again we would not have done the post-cruise with O. We were taken care of just fine, but did not have some of the options for extra time, or both sides you have to choose from if you book on your own with reputable group. I concur with you having everything booked before you go.

Lat year we used Rio Airport Transfer and booked airport transfer to hotel and then tranfer to ship the next day. Paid with credit card on-line ahead and just went to desk upon arrival. Very smooth a reasonably priced. Got discount for using them both ways. Found them through great site - Ihatetaxis.com that I have used on several occasions and recommend.It provides information on transportation alternatives and airports.

Second the Rio Transfer recommendation. Easy to pay (on line). They are the agents for the Blue Taxis. The rate for the 2 of us was $90 and had both transfers (airport to hotel and hotel to pier).

For hotels we did the Marriott -- right on the beach. Price was right -- points.

Second the Rio Transfer recommendation. Easy to pay (on line). They are the agents for the Blue Taxis. The rate for the 2 of us was $90 and had both transfers (airport to hotel and hotel to pier).

For hotels we did the Marriott -- right on the beach. Price was right -- points.

There were 4 of us and our rate was also $90 - way cheaper than the O transfers! We stayed at Marriott, too which was O hotel but I booked ourselves and saved many, many dollars. Only drawback if going to be there very long was that many rooms actually face in and don't have views, per se. We didn't care because we liked the darkness once we went to bed, having been flying overnight. Was good restaurant on the corner to the right as exit hotel. It was reasonably priced and owner was fun. Good Luck No Fuss.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived