Single vs Solo

Bibi

I have been on 4 solo cruises and have always met some really great people. It is always a great trip when you can make your own plans, set your own schedule and do what you want to do on your time. Single or Solo, its about making the most of your vacation time and really enjoying life.

• 1 month later...
I'll be taking my 4th solo cruise this year (perhaps a 5th if I can get it booked). I couldn't care less what other people think about the fact that I like traveling alone. I like to socialize, too, so I've had the experience you speak of - it's funny, folks think that either you're pathetic for being alone or you're trying to pick them up, and if you're NOT trying to pick them up, then you're pathetic. :rolleyes::D If they realized how foolish they look in my eyes, they might think twice. Even people on 'singles' cruises aren't necessarily looking for Mr./Ms. Right-Now.

I can think of several advantages to going solo -

- You meet lots of nice people, especially if you have dinner at a large table and go on shore excursions

- You set your own schedule

- Best of all, you only need to find ONE deck chair!!! :)

Happy sailing to all -

Agreed! I did the Land Rover excursion in Belize and ended up with 3 guys traveling together. We had a blast! One guy complained about everything from the seats in the Rover to the bugs which were bad. I shared my bug spray which helped. We had an over the top time and it was fun to be the only woman watching these 3 guys interact.

Although I've done a lot of solo traveling, I've never tried to take a solo cruise. After reading all of the postings, I think I'll have to give it a try! Especially since the Epic has added single cabins.

I went to the UK by myself many years ago and had a great time. I had some friends there and met up with them a few times. But I really like the fact that you don't have to all agree about what to do and when to eat and how much time to spend somewhere. The more people there are, the less you actually get to see and do. Since then, I have gone many places by myself and never feel alone. If I want to talk to someone, I do. And if I want to be alone, I can be.

Guess I'll have to start checking out solo cruising. Any recommendations on getting a good price without having to pay double?

Debbie

Although I've done a lot of solo traveling, I've never tried to take a solo cruise. After reading all of the postings, I think I'll have to give it a try! Especially since the Epic has added single cabins.

I went to the UK by myself many years ago and had a great time. I had some friends there and met up with them a few times. But I really like the fact that you don't have to all agree about what to do and when to eat and how much time to spend somewhere. The more people there are, the less you actually get to see and do. Since then, I have gone many places by myself and never feel alone. If I want to talk to someone, I do. And if I want to be alone, I can be.

Guess I'll have to start checking out solo cruising. Any recommendations on getting a good price without having to pay double?

Debbie

I will be on my 5th solo cruise in Oct. For me the best way to get the cheapest rates are to check the specials. On NCL, check out their websites and click the link that states "Hot Deals". On Carnival, they offer specials from Wednesday thru Friday. Just google "Pack and Go Carnival". Managed to get a very good rate from Carnival this way.

On both Carnival/NCL, they will charge 200% to a solo cruiser. The only way that I can afford the cruise is to find the lowest per person rate. On my upcoming NCL cruise in Oct, I got a $399pp rate which you have to double. Glad that I booked it early as the rate is now $519pp.

Also would recommend that you go to each cruise lines website and sign-up for their cruise specials via email.

• 2 weeks later...

I also think the meaning is Solo, who is traveling alone, just to be alone.

I am a widow, therefore single, also, but prefer the term Solo, as I am 62, and if I meet a man (which I don't want to do), he will generally be an old coot...lol. Which makes me an 'old cootess'?

Debbie

A good travel agent and an inside cabin on Holland America gets me the best price. As soon as I look at balcony cabins, the solo price goes to 200%, but I have several times had a lower category or inside cabin for about 125%.

I look at the single supplement as the price of traveling solo and thereby having the luxury of my own cabin and doing as I please. I try to book on whichever deck has the wrap-around promenade so that it is only steps to the biggest verandah on the ship.

Cool! Thanks for the great ideas. I agree with the idea that the single supplement is just the extra cost of getting to make all my own decisions - but I'd still like to find something less than 200%! I'm kinda excited about checking this out, now.

--dd

If you are looking for great prices being SOLO look at AZAMARA JOURNEY, they charge 125% instead of 200% for the cabin. I will be travelling solo for the first time this september 17, 2011 leaving from Nice France . Seven days cruise on the French Riviera. Believe me I have compared a lot of Cruises and did not want to be surrounded by children and family so this Cruise has no children on board and have only 694 passengers. It is affiliated with the Celebrity Cruise.

IMHO cruising solo means that you go on the cruise by yourself. The only people, if any, that you know on the ship are the crew members that you met on a previous cruise and any friends/acquaintances/relatives that you run into that you had absolutely no idea were going on the same cruise as you.

It makes no difference to me if the solo cruiser is looking for a hook-up, or someone to have dinner with, or does everything he can to preserve his solitude on the ship. If he went on the cruise all by himself, then he's a solo, and I don't care what he does.

IMHO cruising solo means that you go on the cruise by yourself. The only people, if any, that you know on the ship are the crew members that you met on a previous cruise and any friends/acquaintances/relatives that you run into that you had absolutely no idea were going on the same cruise as you.

It makes no difference to me if the solo cruiser is looking for a hook-up, or someone to have dinner with, or does everything he can to preserve his solitude on the ship. If he went on the cruise all by himself, then he's a solo, and I don't care what he does.

And this is probably the most clear and concise explanation of the definition of "solo" that I've yet to read. :D

I am amazed we have so many interpretations or Single or Solo. However, just wondering if anyone knows of where to look on a Cruise Lines website to find out what they are using as a supplement.

I have been using the very time consuming method of going through each Cruise Lines sailings and filling out the booking info just to get a price and now wondering if there is a better alternative.

Cruise on and be happy.

I am amazed we have so many interpretations or Single or Solo. However, just wondering if anyone knows of where to look on a Cruise Lines website to find out what they are using as a supplement.

I have been using the very time consuming method of going through each Cruise Lines sailings and filling out the booking info just to get a price and now wondering if there is a better alternative.

Cruise on and be happy.

Hi,:) we are not allowed to name travel agencies (Cruise Critic Policy).

But as for the SS....when you say what they are using? Most of the

mainstream lines want 2 people in the cabin and they charge double.

Now, I have read about NCL and they have single cabins if you

are interested in sailing with them and I think they are less money.

I sail with Celebrity and they sometimes offer a 150% SS. They have

Tuesday Specials and there might be a SS sale on there.

It's been interesting and very encouraging to read how many solo cruisers there are out there. I am fortunate that I am able to travel with my best friend at least once a year, but I would love to cruise more often! Unfortunately, she has two kids and a limited income and is therefore limited in her travel budget. I am fortunate that I don't have any kids and have a very generous vacation package from my employer, so that's not the issue. The issue is the apprehension of going alone and the increased cost...but that can be saved for. :D

We have a cruise booked in February next year and it's really got the cruise bugging going. I check CC every day just to feel closer to cruising! LOL

Hi,:) we are not allowed to name travel agencies (Cruise Critic Policy).

But as for the SS....when you say what they are using? Most of the

mainstream lines want 2 people in the cabin and they charge double.

Now, I have read about NCL and they have single cabins if you

are interested in sailing with them and I think they are less money.

I sail with Celebrity and they sometimes offer a 150% SS. They have

Tuesday Specials and there might be a SS sale on there.

No, I understand what you are saying and I cruise solo a fair amount but to find out how much the cruise line is charging I currently go through and starting the booking process against each cruise I am interested in. I thought maybe there was a place which showed each cruise lines SS so it would be a little easier but my current method does work. Thanks again for reply.

No, I understand what you are saying and I cruise solo a fair amount but to find out how much the cruise line is charging I currently go through and starting the booking process against each cruise I am interested in. I thought maybe there was a place which showed each cruise lines SS so it would be a little easier but my current method does work. Thanks again for reply.

Hi,:) nope not that I know about. I book directly through the cruiseline

and so whatever the price comes up? I do a mock booking and see

it that way.

Didn't there used to be an article right here on Cruise Critic that listed what the single supplement policy was for each cruise line? I could swear that I've seen this in the past.

Not for each, but some:

Solo Cruising Basics

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=21

Also:

10 Best Cruise Lines for Solo Travelers

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=419

Another that might be interesting to all:

10 Things Every Solo Cruiser Should Know

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1228

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Thank you Kat, those were very informative. Special mention to the last one, I enjoyed both the information and the humor!

Like others who have posted here, I am taking my first Solo cruise in September on the Norwegian Sun. Of course, since I always do things the hard way :D I chose a 9 night Baltic cruise for my first solo outing!

I signed up for the Roll Call and everyone has been so very nice. I've booked 2 private excursions with the roll call group and feel that at least I will feel less vulnerable having "met" these folks before we sail - albeit on line! I will move heaven and earth - lack of sleep included - to make the pre-cruise Meet & Greet at the pub in Copenhagen.

I'm 56, female and single - absolutely not looking for any kind of romance - but looking to meet people from all over this huge earth with the same passion I have - cruising.

Thanks to all posters for the ideas and bolstering my resolve that this is the right thing for me to do!

Laurey

Archived