st thomas will charge each person that goes ashore a 8.00 pp fee

islandsinmyblood

while in st thomas for a few weeks i learned that the government will soon charge each passenger that goes ashore a 8.00 fee .......not sure when this will go into effect, it will help the governments pocket, but sure to hurt the taxi's and business's. i for one would not get off the ship in st thomas if this fee is imposed, not that it is alot of money it's more the principle. wondering how everyone feels about this?????

Even if collected as a separate fee, the fee will not cause us to stay on the ship. I know that many already stay on board sat some stops, but we get off and do something EVERY port stop. I will simply figure it as part of the of the cruise cost.

I imagine it to be some sort of port fee so it will be factored into the total fee that a ship charges. I can’t imagine that you will have a choice of paying . I really can’t see the St. Thomas Govt. folks collecting money as you leave the gate!

M

They passed legislation to charge a $1 departure fee which I'm sure will just be added to the "port charges, taxes, and fees" you're already paying as part of any cruise. Many countries have for years been charging airline passengers departure fees, and cruise passengers have been exempt. Now that so many governments are strapped for cash, all travelers should expect to see an increase in fees/taxes. I think Barbados charges a similar tax, but it's much more than $1.

while in st thomas for a few weeks i learned that the government will soon charge each passenger that goes ashore a 8.00 fee .......not sure when this will go into effect, it will help the governments pocket, but sure to hurt the taxi's and business's. i for one would not get off the ship in st thomas if this fee is imposed, not that it is alot of money it's more the principle. wondering how everyone feels about this?????

Let me see if I understand this -

1) you have paid many thousands of dollars to take a cruise that stops in St. Thomas;

2) you would like to get off at St. Thomas;

3) they are going to charge you $8 to get off in St. Thomas;

4) as a matter of principal, you refuse to pay the $8;

5) therefore, you will stay on the ship in St. Thomas instead of getting of.

Do I have it correct? Does this make any sense?

DON

Yes, this makes total sense....it infuriates me that I will pay $8 pp (there are 6 of us, so $48) so that I can go and spend money in St Thomas to spend money and stimulate their economy!!!! I do not consider this part of the cost of going on a cruise, I'm already paying a fortune for my family to go. Sheesh, how can anyone stay on any sort of budget with all these extras??

no... i will just cruise to the southern or western caribbean ports, which i prefer anyway... if they do build the entrance fee into the cruise fee's and tax's, most passagers will not even relize this has been added, however if they collect from passagers as they step onto st thomas that would cause some to re consider . .If st thomas gets away with this then you can bet your fat wallet other islands will follow the leader.

I think Alaska has done this for years... and I think they too have raised their fees to maybe $50 / pp.... but it is somehow figured / included in the cost of an Alaska cruise... Which might explain why they are so expensive.

I agree on this thread -- on the principal issue. What about when I come and go? I like to get off early, shop, wander around... go back to the ship to unwind.. .then go back out. Double Charge?

And you are exactly right -- we are supporting their economy, BIG TIME. Spending our money... So it depends on the level of truth and how it is charged / paid. If collected via our cruise fare, no one will ever notice or care. If someone is there to collect the $8 or $2 every time I step off the ship... that would deter people from getting off & on.

I remember a few cruises back, going Parasailing in Cozumel. They offered to drop us off back at the Ship, or downtown. We thought Downtown was were we wanted to go anyway.. saved us time & taxi $$.... Well guess what? An officer greeted our boat and said it would cost (xx) per person to get off at this dock. I was semi-shocked and didn't know if it was real or a scam. The officer said to follow him.. I was with my two children... and I sort of tried to NOT follow him, getting lost in the crowd. He found me before I got off the pier. Had me pay and sign something.. so I guess it was more real / official than I thought. Maybe it was only $2 per person?

No doubt there are more nickel & dime issues appearing everyday for cruisers... but it is still a great deal.. And we know it.

Kirk

In a way I hope that they do collect at the pier Will make sure that I will have a pocket load of pennies to pay with.

What about us that have a cruise booked and paid for Jan. 15 2012 Will Carnival charge the new tax or what.

hope they inform us hate to be drop for a dollar due.

Paul

288 days to go

It would be a logistical nightmare for the local authorities to collect cash from a shipload of passengers! No doubt it will just be added on to the "port fees and taxes" like all the others.. Almost every port you enter has these included in your cruise fares. Get ya coming and going!!!!

Archived