Viking Emerald....anyone back yet?

suspaul

This morning we are disembarking the ship for the remainder of the land tour. They have staggered the passengers into two groups. The first group had to have their luggage outside their rooms by 6 am, our time was 6:30. We will not see our luggage again until this evening when it will arrive in our hotel rooms. We will leave on the bus at 8 am and drive to the zoo, have lunch at a local restaurant, and then go to the airport for our flight.

Hate to repack and leave the ship, but the next few days should be very busy with lots more things to see and do.

Sharon

I agree that there are a lot of squat toilets everywhere you go in China or Russia except for the five star hotels or restaurants. I highly the recommend purchasing a female urinal before leaving home. They have very convenient disposable types or flexible plastic types that take up little space in your purse or pocket and are available on the internet. They allow you to urinate standing up and are simple to use and great for people who have trouble squatting due to hip or knee problems. I always end up bringing some extra to give away. They also carry them at some sporting goods stores because they're great for camping or back packing. They can be found at Amazon.com Peggy

We go to a travel medicine clinic before an exotic trip. Our travel doctor recommended Dukerol -- it was prescription when we did Asia in 2005 but it now is a behind the counter drug with no prescription needed. It's taken as a precaution BEFORE travel and we attribute our safety to it and cautious eating. On subsequent trips only one dose is required as a booster.

We do bring along Imodium and Metamusel and have had to use it. And we carry prescriptions just in case -- each of which gets returned for disposal in a couple of years travelling.

I buy a supply of dollar store tooth brushes -- though in Asia our hotels provided ones which tended to shed -- so they can be disposed of frequently. We rinse one to be reused in Listerine. (The Listerine bottle has shown up on an airport xray in our checked luggage and mistaken for a whiskey bottle. In Cairo a dollar bribe solved the problem) As an aside I also pack a bundle of dollar store face clothes as we both like to use one and they're often not available.

Watermelon seemed to be the dessert of choice for our land travels in China and while we ate it, some in our group wouldn't, fearing ground water polution. But we were game to try anything cooked, often unsure of what we were eating.

And we are seniors but in generally good health.

Wow, I thought liquids were allowed. Would they have confiscated it if it were alcohol?

Yes, Island Gem, liquids are allowed. But I suspect the scanner saw an easy 'buck or two.' It was in our checked luggage and as you know a Listerine bottle is in the 'right' shape. And I don't think carrying alcohol is a problem either. It was easier to pay a dollar than open our luggage. And it was interesting that he was very careful with his signal as his superiors were watching. We were in a hurry and in no mood to argue or make an issue.

And a point about squat toilets -- it's easier in a skirt I've found than in pants.

We go to a travel medicine clinic before an exotic trip. Our travel doctor recommended Dukerol -- it was prescription when we did Asia in 2005 but it now is a behind the counter drug with no prescription needed. It's taken as a precaution BEFORE travel and we attribute our safety to it and cautious eating. On subsequent trips only one dose is required as a booster.

We do bring along Imodium and Metamusel and have had to use it. And we carry prescriptions just in case -- each of which gets returned for disposal in a couple of years travelling.

I buy a supply of dollar store tooth brushes -- though in Asia our hotels provided ones which tended to shed -- so they can be disposed of frequently. We rinse one to be reused in Listerine. (The Listerine bottle has shown up on an airport xray in our checked luggage and mistaken for a whiskey bottle. In Cairo a dollar bribe solved the problem) As an aside I also pack a bundle of dollar store face clothes as we both like to use one and they're often not available.

Watermelon seemed to be the dessert of choice for our land travels in China and while we ate it, some in our group wouldn't, fearing ground water polution. But we were game to try anything cooked, often unsure of what we were eating.

And we are seniors but in generally good health.

Wow, I thought liquids were allowed. Would they have confiscated it if it were alcohol?

• 3 months later...

Peggy...I just read your post. We're on the Viking Emerald for China in early October 2011. When we watched the video on Viking's website about China and the Viking Emerald, we were wondering why they have a tailor onboard. Thanks for clarifying. Rob

We started in Beijing and had one free day there before starting any excursions. It was wonderful because we were exhausted after the long trip and we had a friend who lived in Beijing and was able to show us around the first afternoon. We were very careful about using only bottled water, even for teeth brushing and washing hands and we still got the TD but so did others. We didn't think to bring anything for the kids at the school visit but I would have brought something easy to pack. They put on quite a show for us and then we visited their classroom and they each try to capture one of us for their very own and let us sit in their desk. They show you their workbooks and try out a bit of English. They were darling. We were told by our guide on the drive to the school they we would be singing 3 songs for them and we had to come up with something we all knew. We sang "You are my sunshine and Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer and a couple from Israel sang a song too. It was really fun and was one of the highlights of our trip. It's hard to say what was the most impressive part because it was all fantastic. The trip through the gorge was really amazing as was the Forbidden City, Terracotta Soldiers and Great Wall. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Beijing and the Kaminski in Xian; then the last hotel was the Westin in Shanghai. All the hotels were fantastic with fabulous buffets. My favorite was the Shanghai Westin. Another thing I thought you should know is that on the ship they have several professionals making georgeous silk jackets, PJ's or blouses. They are all custom made and the jackets are made from beautiful silks and lined in silk and custom fit for each person. They have several different styles. The cost is approx. $120 US and really a bargain when you consider the materials and workmanship involved. It's hard to believe they could knock out so many in such a small area in such a short time. I would suggest shopping at the beginning of the trip for the best choice of fabrics. There is another opportunity to purchase silk comforters, scarves, or jackets when you tour the silk factory and the prices were about the same but off the rack, not custom fit. You could also purchase silk-looking jackets off the street vendors for about $12. They looked pretty good but they weren't silk and the material wouldn't hold up the same, but for something you only wear occasionally they weren't bad. The ship also had a jewelry shop where they made custom made jewelry from pearls and assorted gemstones. Prices varied on quality and size. If you think of anything else, I'll try to answer. Peggy

Hello to Viking River Cruises!

I'm impressed that you are following the Cruise Critic's and their forums! Many companies do not have the time nor do they care!..... Kudos:cool:

My husband and I have travelled to MANY far and beautiful destinations in the world. But one thing I do remember from our last river/land cruise (from your competitor) was the lack of information on staying healthy! Not that the cruise ships do not have their problems with the "Norovirous"! As it was explained to me by my doctor in the U.S. ... "We are all like newborns when we travel to a foreign country"! The intestinal bacteria of "Traveler's Diarreah" can definitely set you back! This is JUST a suggestion about "Traveler's Diarreah", having information on your website, or packages that you send out BEFORE we get there on what to do! This is not something you take lightly.....My husband and I saw what can happen when not informed!

p.s. Do your colleagues in China have a recommedation on what antibiotic/drug we should take for the Chinese Emperor's revenge!

Thanks so much for the thoughts on "Traveler's Diarreah". My husband and I will be on the same cruise in August and are really looking forward to it. We, too, experienced Mummy's Tummy in Egypt and had planned to get a prescription of Cipro before going this time--now I'm not sure. I will keep watching to see if Viking has any suggestions.

Our travel doctor recommended Dukerol for our first trip to Asia a decade ago and we have had a booster for each trip to a developing nation since. You take it a week or two before you leave home.

It's something to investigate. It's not 100% effective, but just another option for healthier travels.

Thanks so much for the thoughts on "Traveler's Diarreah". My husband and I will be on the same cruise in August and are really looking forward to it. We, too, experienced Mummy's Tummy in Egypt and had planned to get a prescription of Cipro before going this time--now I'm not sure. I will keep watching to see if Viking has any suggestions.

Obviously, you should consult your own doctor or travel clinic, but I don't know why you wouldn't take cipro with you, to have just in case. We were on the Viking trip in May. I was as careful about what I ate and drank as anyone could have been (not to mention using hand sanitizer religiously), but about a week into the trip, shortly after getting on board the Emerald, I was hit with diarrhea. A day of imodium did not take care of things, so I took cipro, and that did the trick.

Hopefully, you won't need it, but if you do, you'll be glad to have it along!

• 5 months later...

My wife and I, at separate times, haved lived in Asia. I was a big fan of eating from the street vendors in Taiwan and the Philippines and never got sick, but I was much younger then and fearless! Now, I might be skipping some of those. My wife and I are sailing (loose interpretation) on the Viking Emerald, leaving Seattle on April 13th and arriving the next day in Beijing. Getting very excited! We have been on several cruises and land tours, but this will be our first river cruise.

My wife and I, at separate times, haved lived in Asia. I was a big fan of eating from the street vendors in Taiwan and the Philippines and never got sick, but I was much younger then and fearless! Now, I might be skipping some of those. My wife and I are sailing (loose interpretation) on the Viking Emerald, leaving Seattle on April 13th and arriving the next day in Beijing. Getting very excited! We have been on several cruises and land tours, but this will be our first river cruise.

Sounds like we are on the same cruise. We also leave on the 13th but fly out of Chicago and land on the 14th.

Bob and Sharon, it looks like we have traveled SOME of the same places, but I am most interested in hearing about your South America cruise! We tried to take that a couple years ago, but my wife is the controller at a manufacturing plant and November through February are her BUSIEST times, and also, the best months for SA. We have been on several cruise lines, but never Celebrity, so we will have to hear your sales pitch! I assume that they have you staying in the Ritz Carlton in Beijing? I would suppose they would have us all herded together.

Ron and Pam

Bob and Sharon, it looks like we have traveled SOME of the same places, but I am most interested in hearing about your South America cruise! We tried to take that a couple years ago, but my wife is the controller at a manufacturing plant and November through February are her BUSIEST times, and also, the best months for SA. We have been on several cruise lines, but never Celebrity, so we will have to hear your sales pitch! I assume that they have you staying in the Ritz Carlton in Beijing? I would suppose they would have us all herded together.

Ron and Pam

Of course we will have to find time to discuss SA, but it looks like we will be in a different group as they are putting us in the Westin Financial Street in Beijing. We get into Beijing on the 14th at 11:30 pm and I would bet we will get to the hotel around 3am on the 15th. Probably need a nap and then off exploring something on the 15th afternoon. No definite plans yet.

The Ritz is also on Financial Street, so I am going to presume they are near each other. We arrive on the 14th as well, but at 2:35 in the afternoon, so with luck and a nap, we may be able to get a head start on some exploring. I told my wife that my primary goal on that first day is to find some very spicy Szechuan food for dinner. Then I will be good to go!

Have you been trying to learn any Chinese?

Have you heard from anyone else going on this trip?

The Ritz is also on Financial Street, so I am going to presume they are near each other. We arrive on the 14th as well, but at 2:35 in the afternoon, so with luck and a nap, we may be able to get a head start on some exploring. I told my wife that my primary goal on that first day is to find some very spicy Szechuan food for dinner. Then I will be good to go!

Have you been trying to learn any Chinese?

Have you heard from anyone else going on this trip?

Yes they are real close to each other. I'd settle for Hunan. No on the leanring Chinese.

One other on "All River Cruise Roll Calls", page 2.

• 3 weeks later...

When we were in Egypt in 2009 we were very careful about what we ate nothing raw, nothing without a peel for fruits, only bottled water from the ship, and we were great all thru the cruise...then the last night a fellow cruiser sent a couple of tequila sunrises to our room while we were packing and not thinking we drank them...so sorry sick for weeks. The orange juice was from concentrate...yeah so on our trip in Sep 2012 we are not having any juices. We will try to get the drugs for preventive measures too, it was hard to shake that bug.

Archived