Power strip on HAL?

GORDONCHICK

The Know Before You Go doc says:

If more outlet space is necessary, only Holland America Line provided power bars are to be used. Please contact the Front Office for more information.

I think a $25 deposit is required to borrow one. I suggest that you bring your own, but try to get a "provided" one. If they're all out when you get there, ask your steward if yours is okay to use.

It's been reported that some lines are banning power strips - wondering if HAL is one of them? We cruise in less than 2 months and I'm refining the packing list.

I always travel with a power bar, use them in my stateroom, stateroom steward is aware & it has never been as issue! ;)

I avoid the issue by using a pair of cube-taps, stacked, to give me five outlets from the one. Smaller to pack too. Also I use an adapter to plug my netbook into the 220v outlet. Most laptop power supplies can use either 115 or 220, but check yours.

I've always taken a power strip on all our vacations because of all the electronics between me, DH & DS. I wonder if they are worried about frayed cords or something. I've heard some women have said their flatirons have been inspected - mainly the cords. For some reason, Chi makes really good flatirons, but doesn't pay as much attention to the cord and where it attaches to the iron. But when I bought mine, I was told to be very careful about wrapping the cord to tightly to where it would pull at the connection of the flatiron. However, I leave mine out at home, and only wrap the cord when traveling. I guess I'll have both my flatiron and power strip in my carryon.

I avoid the issue by using a pair of cube-taps, stacked, to give me five outlets from the one.

I just bring a couple of $.99 extension cords.
Why does this not overload the one-plug circuit?

Might that not create a fire hazard?:eek:

And I was under the impression that irons were forbidden..??..

Might that not create a fire hazard?:eek:

And I was under the impression that irons were forbidden..??..

I'm pretty sure they are. Many travel irons have no thermostat or a very poor one. Definitely a fire hazard.

When Gordonchick refers to a flat iron I think she is speaking of a style of curling iron for the hair.

A flatiron is for straightening, not curling. I definitely don't need the curling - especially on a cruise!

I avoid the issue by using a pair of cube-taps, stacked, to give me five outlets from the one.
I don't use all five at once usually, but it's not a question of overloading the circuit anyway. A HAL-provided power strip would give five or six outlets, so apparently they're not worried about that. I believe HAL is trying to avoid having people use power strips that contain surge-suppressor circuits that shunt any power spikes to "ground", which in the case of a ship is the ship structure.

My husband uses a CPAP so we always bring a power strip and an extension cord. On our Amsterdam Alaska cruise this past May there was no problem in using both in our cabin.

The power strip was very useful because we both had cell phones to charge since they could be used in AK ports, and hubby's digital camera also required charging occasionally.

We turned off the power strip when not being used. And we made sure the extension cord was not in the cabin steward's way by unplugging it and rolling it up during the day.

I don't use all five at once usually, but it's not a question of overloading the circuit anyway. A HAL-provided power strip would give five or six outlets, so apparently they're not worried about that. I believe HAL is trying to avoid having people use power strips that contain surge-suppressor circuits that shunt any power spikes to "ground", which in the case of a ship is the ship structure.
Typically, a power strip has it's own circuit breaker and, if overloaded, simply shuts itself off.

If that overload is passed to the ship's wiring, there can be a fire.:eek:

I thought I read on CC that they were forbidden except for the HAL issued ones.:confused:

I avoid the issue by using a pair of cube-taps, stacked, to give me five outlets from the one. Smaller to pack too. Also I use an adapter to plug my netbook into the 220v outlet. Most laptop power supplies can use either 115 or 220, but check yours.

John What is a cube-tap?:confused: Never heard of it..

Typically, a power strip has it's own circuit breaker and, if overloaded, simply shuts itself off.

If that overload is passed to the ship's wiring, there can be a fire.:eek:

I thought I read on CC that they were forbidden except for the HAL issued ones.:confused:

According to HAL they would prefer you to use one of theirs.. However, as others have stated HAL has very few on board..I also bring my power strip with a heavy duty cord, but only use two of the outlets on it at the same time with our Stewards permission..

OMG...Just noticed another poster mentioned using a $.99 extension cord..Can't believe that someone would even consider using a $.99 extension cord..:eek:IMO that's very dangerous, as it's a fire hazard aboard ship.. The ship's electrical system is not the same as your household electrical system..

Cheers...:)Betty

I just bring a couple of $.99 extension cords.

I'll add I only plug in a Phone charger .015A or laptop 1.5A plenty of safety the cords is that are rated at 13A. Please don't attempt to use high amperage devices such has curling irons unless what you are using has a high enough rating.

Typically a power strip has an on/off switch but many cheap ones do not have a circuit breaker. Typically I plug in a cell phone charger and one or two AA battery chargers. My netbook goes on the 220v outlet.

John What is a cube-tap?:confused: Never heard of it.
Maybe you've never heard it called that, but you've seen one!

unnamed.jpg.9f61752c6c392047d0189335276ebbf1.jpg

I bring the extension cord also, have never had a room steward say anything. I can't believe in this day and age with everything electronic even the new ships only have a couple of plugs.

There is a very good reason why the newest ships have only a few outlets in the cabins.

Nearly all cruise ships are built in Europe. The regular voltage there - like most of the world - is 220-240 volts. It's hardly suprising that the ships built there also have 220-240 volt systems.

To satisfy the electrically challenged North Americans, the cruis elines install step-down transormers in accommodations areas to provide limited 120 volt power to cabins.

Why limiited power?

Because the step-down transformers are very large, very expensive, and fire hazards if they handle too much power.

What is really amazing to me is the fact that in this day of modern electronics, North Americans seem to be the only people who are unable to have electronic and electric devices that automatically adapt to nearly any available power - like the rest of the world.

Typically a power strip has an on/off switch but many cheap ones do not have a circuit breaker. Typically I plug in a cell phone charger and one or two AA battery chargers. My netbook goes on the 220v outlet.

Maybe you've never heard it called that, but you've seen one!

OH ok Thanks John...Yes I've seen one..

Cheers..Betty

I just got off the Zaandam and brought my Bi-Pap machine with an extension cord and power strip. I called ahead to request what I needed because there seemed to be a lot of conflicting reports about the rules. The person I spoke to told me I should bring my own because the supply was limited! I did; I used it; no one said a word to me!

Archived