AMA Waterways Amacello Danube Trip Report - Prague to Budapest

wiselindag

I got my package of documents last week. We leave in amonth. It contained the usual plus a very nice book with detailed info about the river and the ports that we will visit. It comes in a zipper case that is perfect for holding tickets etc. Looks like AMA has their act together.

Alexander Cruiser - I'm with you - Life is Short; Must Enjoy!

RedTravel - That sounds like exactly what we received last year although I did see one from a previous year in a different design so I guess that varies from year to year, which is nice.

I am eager to hear from all of you who are sailing this Spring - please come back and tell us about your cruises. I hope you have a wonderful time!

Linda

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the detailed report - almost like getting a guidebook!

We are doing the same itinerary on the AMA Lyra in 7 short weeks!

Quick question: What is the usual attire for dinner?

Can't wait for all the material from AMA and then on to Budapest!

Thanks so much.

Thanks for the compliment! On AMA, the usual attire is "whatever makes you feel comfortable!" During the day we dressed for the weather and for the daily walk, so often that involved a turtleneck layer, a sweater, and a coat or jacket with a scarf with comfortable walking shoes. On the ship, it was warmer and I didn't need all that unless I was going out on deck to take pictures, in which case I "bundled up."

Actually, I like to change for dinner and usually tried to put on a little dressier top at least. I usually put on a pair of nicer slacks (as opposed to jeans or cords) and a cruise-type dinner top (the kind I wear on big cruise ships which are all about the same temperature and are air conditioned or heated to about the same temperature year-round in the dining room or so it seems to me) and maybe a shawl. Guys usually wore a sports shirt and sweater or maybe a sports jacket if they were the dressier kind of guy. My husband wasn't with me, but had he been on the ship, he would have worn a sports jacket over a sports shirt every night ... that's the way he dresses for casual night on a cruise ship and often the way he dresses at home... what can I tell you?

There were two nights when folks were a little dressier and they were the night of the Viennese concert when those who went to it put on jackets and even suits for the gentlemen and dressier clothes for the ladies (not me, but I didn't opt to attend as you know), and the "Farewell dinner" when some people were more dressed up. We were not and the people we hung out with weren't either, so we felt comfortable although I felt a tad under-dressed, which is rare for me... just didn't feel like dragging dressy clothes around for one night, although I always dress for formal nights on ships that have them.

I'm traveling with some couples in October on the Amadagio and two of them are quite casual. One of the wives asked if she could wear her sweatshirt for dinner (not sure if she was joking) and I told her "no." It's casual, but not that casual, and she would be too hot anyway wearing that in the dining room. I imagine some crowds might be dressier than others, but I looked pretty carefully at the photographs from other trips before packing and AMA struck me as more casual than some others in its class. By and large, that's what we got on our sailing.

Hope this helps... I look forward to hearing about your trip when you return... doesn't need to be anywhere as detailed as mine!

We leave for Budapest on Tuesday for AMA Danube river cruise. I've not seen any posts from anyone that may be traveling on same trip. We have overnight flight from east coast (USA) on Tuesday arriving in Budapest on Wed.

I've been reading reviews of others who have made this trip and have not found anyone who has been disappointed. Thanks to everyone who has submitted info......very helpful in relation to sites, dress code, must see places. :)

Bon Voyage, plstraveler. I hope you have a fabulous trip and look forward to hearing from you when you return. Since I will be doing this trip again at the end of October with a group of friends, I would be grateful for your feedback and that of anyone else on this Board who has been on this trip this year.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, Linda and Karen and Mike,

I'll be arriving in Prague on November 11 for a pre-tour stay before boarding the Amadolce for my cruise.

This will be my first river cruise and I'm really looking forward to it. Most of my recent trips have been on ocean liners, so this cruise will be different and special.

Sergio

Archived