Rough day at sea - looks crazy. Anyone experience this on princess?

Embracedbylife

Hi There

The most I have seen on a Princess ship is the spa pool flooding the spa,

However many years ago in the Bay of Biscay I was on the SS Uganda

we were tossed about like a small finishing boat we were ordered to go to

our beds and told to hang on. The ship was a complete mess the following day

yours Shogun

In March of '03, my Husband and I were on the old Royal Princess when we hit an unknown storm between the Falkland Islands and Argentina that lasted for more than 12 hours with 40+ foot swells. What a ride....broken furnature, dishes, and even a baby grand piano was tipped over along with a few broken windows.

We hung onto the bed all night. The beds on this ship were mattresses in a platform with sides and we had to make sure that when the mattress slid from side to side that out fingers were not between it and the wood frame. My husband got caught once and it was painful!

Amazing in the morning when we were able to navagate around the ship to see all the damage. Our cabin stewart brought coffee and could hardly stand up to bring it in the room. What a sweetie, as he was very "green around the gills" and admitted to being seasick. Thank heavens, my husband and I don't get seasick.............. (yet)!

In 2003 we hit a 500 mile diameter Atlantic storm between Iceland and Newfoundland on the Silver Cloud, which is a 19,000 ton ship. We had 100 mph winds and 50 foot seas. We took all the glassware off shelves and put it on the deck. The grand piano in the showroom ended up in the orchestra pit.

I had an inclinometer with us and we took 30 degree rolls. When we got off the ship in Montreal we were given t-shirts commemoration the event.

No bad storms for us but once as ship was docking(I think it was San Francisco) the ship hit something quite hard...the dishes went flying and many people were thrown off balance in the buffet according to DH, but we didn't hear of any injuries. I was in bed at the time and it bounced me quite hard!

This last cruise we were on, it was on the Emerald, we were on Aloha 329 which was in the front 1/3 of the ship, and the ship barely rocked...most nites I couldn't even feel anything. The Caribbean was the calmest I can remember.

Every time I see that video, I hear the tune "Slip sliding away......!" :D

I miss that kind of weather, I'd almost PAY to get that experience guaranteed.

So, Shogun - what kind of boat is a "finishing boat?" ;)

We were sailing on a Celebrity ship once many years ago that got a bit too close to a Hurricane. In our aft cabin, we had to crawl as we could not walk, or we would have been thrown to the ground. The ship lost about half it's pool furniture on that cruise, right over the side, even though it was tied down for the storm. It took me years before being brave enough to book another aft cabin, as we were thrown around like rag dolls back there. :eek: It was shortly after 9/11 so we had placed three small American flags on our balcony, tied to the railing. At the end of the storm, one was nothing but shreaded fabric. Most of the ship was seasick, including our room steward, and myself. Only time I ever remember being seasick in my entire life. It's only happened to us once, thank goodness, don't want to ever sail through something like that again.

This last cruise we were on, it was on the Emerald, we were on Aloha 329 which was in the front 1/3 of the ship, and the ship barely rocked...most nites I couldn't even feel anything. The Caribbean was the calmest I can remember.

We always get a room at the 1/3 of the front too and never feel anything! Our friends had an aft room when we cruised with them and we felt a lot more motion when we visited them in their room!

We were on the Rhapsody in 2009 cruising between Australia and New Zealand when we encountered a Force 7 storm. Fortunately there were no injuries but over 2000 pieces of crockery and glass were smashed along with over 200 bottles of expensive wine. Best sight though was at dinner time (yes, some people still managed to put food into their mouths - I was not one of them) when the wine waiter delivered a full glass of beer to the table next to us and didn't spill a drop despite the pitching and rolling of the ship - he got a round of applause. Next morning the Captain admitted the ship really wasn't designed for such bad weather - glad he told us that afterwards!

We were doing a transatlantic on the Star and one night in the Med it was so bad the waves were coming up to our balcony on Dolphin deck. The ship was rocking so bad I almost fell out of bed and the hangers in the closet were making a racket. We were almost mid ship so the rocking was side to side. Another time we were on the old Crown Princess in the Inside Passage and the ship made a sudden turn that tilted the ship so much bottles, glasses were falling of the bar (what a noise) and people fell out of chairs, dishes fell off the tables in the dining room. If it gets bad enough they won't let anyone out on deck, shows are cancelled and people are advised to stay in their cabins until it passes.

Nothing horrible. Once I sailed on the Pacific Princess (the old one) to Hawaii. It was so rough that there were only about 1/4 of the people in the dining room because the others were too sick from motion sickness to eat. A couple days later, a big storm came up in Maui and we had to wait over an hour for a tender. When we took the tender back to the ship, the platform kept going vertical when when the tender got close to it. The crew almost slipped into the water, so they didn't want any passengers trying it. We went back about 5 times and couldn't get on. Finally, we went around to the other side of the ship which was much calmer because the ship blocked the wind. We got off and had to walk through the kitchen. Once on the ship, our cabin steward was vomiting in the hallway from motion sickness. I hope I don't have anything much rougher than that, but it's not as bad as others have experienced by far. Funny thing is that the water was smooth as glass and warm for our entire crossing back. We had our bad weather when we were by the islands.

Wow,

Obviously been very fortunate so far on cruises, never had furniture in public areas take off!

Going to try my first North Atlantic in Sept trip. Fingers crossed.

I've always thought the rear felt less active vs forward cabins on the Princess ships I've been on, but I've never experienced trips like described here.

It was 14 Dec 1973. We were on SS ORIANA and departing HNL at midnight through the tail end of a hurricane, storm, typhoon...call it what you will.

Those were the days when we all dressed for dinner, and as we cleared HNL enroute to Suva, it started. Even at 42000GRT, she bounced like a cork. Althought he Dragon Pool was netted over, the crew never had enough time to drain her. As such, the Dragon Pool bar ended up being awash in anywhere from 3 inches to 2 feet of water (depending on the list of the ship) as she rode it out.

There were dishes hither and yon, furniture sliding to and fro, etc etc. Thank God I was a poor student in transit to NZ and booked low and aft in cabin G262 (an inside just below the water line and above the props). Sharing the cabin for four, 2 of us were fortunate to be able to claim the lower bunks.

Needless to say, the bow of ORIANA under command of Capt Fred Wacher took the seas well.

Ciao for now!!!

Archived