Note: To Chair Hogs

Find a bunch of chairs being hogged? Turn some of them around, face the other way....The take the one or two you want. When the hog returns, just tell them some folks just got up and told you that you could have those two seats, but all the others were saved.

When they get huffy, offer to help them find the pool patrol to solve the problem....

If they get nasty, tell them to call ship's security...Funny how if you tell them to call security, they don't!

Too many cruises, with rude folks, to let anyone stomp on my vacation!

How about this...

Outfit every chair with a card reader. You swipe your Seapass card and a digital clock starts counting down from 30 minutes. Next time you swipe your card again, it resets to 30 minutes.

Now, here's the catch... once you swipe your card on one chair, you can't swipe it on another chair until the first one expires.

That should be cheap & easy to do, right?:D

I am nervous about being considered a chair hog... not because I'll leave to go eat or anything, but just worried I'll go between the pool & hottub longer than 30 minutes.

I think as long as you're on the pool deck (bathroom runs excepted... don't know where the bathrooms are), you are entitled to ONE chair each.

Just the opinion from someone who's never cruised. I'm also going to an AI this year for the first time that I'm told chair hogs are popular there too.

ETA: how long do you need to sit in the chair for your 30 minutes to "reset"? Just show up? Sit for 5 minutes? 10?

On my next cruise I'm not packing anything to read. I'm getting up in the morning to borrow something from the pool chairs. I will return it to the lost and found at the end of our cruise. Thanks in advance for sharing:D.

So stealing is less of an offense than claiming a chair?

Those who would " steal others things" should be careful they do not get caught by someone who does not see it as very funny. :mad:

So stealing is less of an offense than claiming a chair?

Those who would " steal others things" should be careful they do not get caught by someone who does not see it as very funny. :mad:

I think it's about equal, as reserving a chair and not using it for hours is essentially 'stealing' it from use by others.

On the Disney Magic last month, there was a crew member walking around every sea day taking things off chairs, and he would ask people, "have you seen anyone in this chair lately?" If the answer was "no" their towels were gone. Obviously, they weren't taking bags, shoes, books, etc. But if was just towels, goodbye! :D

The worst I saw was not only a chair hog, but a family of area hogs. They rearranged about 5 chairs into a circle, so nobody could walk by, but they could all see each other, and brought a boom box (or whatevr they are called now) and played THEIR music, very loud. It was the most obnoxious and disrespectful act I've seen so far on a cruise..... And they were not the stereotypical type, they looked very affluent and apparently felt that they were above everyone else and could do what they chose to do.....

On the Disney Magic last month, there was a crew member walking around every sea day taking things off chairs, and he would ask people, "have you seen anyone in this chair lately?" If the answer was "no" their towels were gone. Obviously, they weren't taking bags, shoes, books, etc. But if was just towels, goodbye! :D

The worst I saw was not only a chair hog, but a family of area hogs. They rearranged about 5 chairs into a circle, so nobody could walk by, but they could all see each other, and brought a boom box (or whatevr they are called now) and played THEIR music, very loud. It was the most obnoxious and disrespectful act I've seen so far on a cruise..... And they were not the stereotypical type, they looked very affluent and apparently felt that they were above everyone else and could do what they chose to do.....[/quote

These days, that IS the stereotype.:rolleyes:

In my opinion as long as these big ships are sailing Chair Hogs will be there at the pools. Cruise lines will never enforce the 30 minute rule. I have been on four different lines and is always the same. :cool:

Archived