Travellers Cheques

Summerfeet

I have cashed many American Express traveler's cheques on NCL...don't know about other 'brands.' Sometimes I've had trouble getting small bills...like $1.00's, but no problems gettting $20's. I bring a pile of $1 bills with me for tipping starting at the airport, port, room service, excursions, etc. and always save some for the return trip.

Oh yeah! Travellers cheques were used long before credit cards, American Express introduced their cheques way back in 1891. If you deposit unused cheques into your bank account the teller cancels them with a stamp that reads "Not used for purpose intended", sounds like my whole life :p

Another quick question about travellers cheques. Can you use them as a cash deposit on your account when you get onboard?

I am trying to think of ways of not carrying 2k in cash. We always use our credit card, but have discovered that when we are travelling after the cruise (sometimes for a couple of weeks) that all of the holds on it can be a pain. I am just trying to minimize it.

We will still use a credit card, but thought that we would try and keep our balance available for other uses. Thanks for your help

Another quick question about travellers cheques. Can you use them as a cash deposit on your account when you get onboard?

From NCL's FAQs (my bold):

How do I pay for onboard expenses?

For your convenience, all shipboard expenses are charged to NCL's special onboard credit program. Sign up on the first day of your cruise, by establishing your method of payment with Visa®, MasterCard®, American Express®, Discover®, Diners Club®, travelers checks or cash. If you choose to settle your account with cash, a deposit will be required in advance. You may also use your debit card; however, please be advised that NCL obtains pre-authorization which some banks may hold for up to 30 days.

Archived