Like the poolside jumbo screen?

AberAlex

Do you like the poolside jumbo screens on the larger Carnival ships?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the poolside jumbo screens on the larger Carnival ships?

• Yes, love them!
    • Don't care either way.
    • I miss the way things used to be but they're alright.
    • No, can't stand them!

Will be sailing on the Splendor in a few short weeks :D and am curious what the sentiments are of those who've sailed on the Destiny/Conquest/Splendor/Dream Classes that have the jumbo pool TV screen. Never been on a ship that had one before and am concerned that it has completely replaced the steel drum band and other entertainment that used to be at the midship pool. Any thoughts either way? "Pro & Con" lists are always appreciated as well! Thanks!

A lot of people complain about them, but I love it!

Do I thing they need to constantly have it on? No. But it does allow you to partake in ship activities without leaving the pool!!

And In my opinion, there is no better way to watch a movie. We loved the movies under the stars.... so relaxing!

:)

I now try to avoid the area during the day because they never seem to show anything that is of interest to me and what they do show they have the volume WAYYYY to High to even enjoy a conversation with the person seated next to you. It could be a good thing if they would think about what they are doing..

You are right that many of us miss the steel bands by the pool but those days seem limited

I think they are terrific at night. Watching a movie under the stars is awesome.

During the day, I have mixed reviews. I do not like them as a substitute for live entertainment, but for trivia, morning show, etc.... I think it is ok.

Catrin

The Movies Under the Stars screen was the ONLY thing we preferred about the Conquest class over the Fantasy class ships.

It was great to relax and watch a movie "under the stars".

Unfortunately, the too many negatives of the larger Conquest class ships have returned us to the Fantasy class and trying out the Spirit class (Legend) next.

For all the folks who whine about the screens on the Conquest class, Carnival can feel free to move them all to the Fantasy or Spirit class ships.

Bill

I loved them on Princess, but on Carnival they are way way too obtrusive. Iv been on Conquest when we simply could not even have a conversation off to the side of the pool, because the volumn was so overwhelming. They do seem to have listened and they are not as loud as they were at first.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!! It all depends on if you are a movie buff.

Our whole family sat outside one night and watched a movie together. They even served fresh popcorn (you'll need to add salt). The kids (ages 12 & 14) loved it. It was so nice and peaceful to just sit and enjoy a movie together under the stars. It was a very cool experience for the kids, different than going to a movie theater.

One evening there was a basketball game on and I just tuned it out. After about 2 minutes I didn't even notice it. My kids and I sat at a table by the pool and played a board game together. The sound didn't bother us at all. It was a little loud, but we didn't care because we were playing our game. We were only out there for about 45 minutes because we had time to kill before the next show.

I'm too fair skinned to spend a lot of daytime out in the sun , so I don't see them much during the day; I can see how they may annoy sunbathers who want some quiet. But I love being able to lie out in the evening and watch a movie on them.

At times some of the music videos they show seem a bit more reavealing than the showgirls costumes folks like to complain about. Would like to see move movies played at night on Princess they had two showings of a movie most nights and it was always packed!

I wouldn't mind them if they were just used for movies at night, but hate them all the rest of the time. Too loud and obtrusive. Don't we all get enough tv ALL THE TIME?!?! I don't want the news, nor the sports, nor most of the concerts, so it's just noise. This is why I love Spirit Class ships...no big screen on Lido!;)

One of the things I really did like them for was on the Destiny when they did afternoon Trivia by the pool. The questions were shown on the big screen so you didn't have to try and figure out what the Host just asked! And I like it for the sail away and deck party as most ships show what is going on in the main pool area so if you can't see because there are so many people standing and your sitting you can look up and there it is.

Nope ... Don't like them. As I am not a sports fan, I'd rather see that stay in the sports bars. For movies, many have suggested on board theaters. Personally, we seldom ever even turn on TVs, we put out smartphones in the safe, and basically enjoy tech, tv, video free cruises except for music (bands, piano bars, etc). Buts it's a personal opinion on what folks enjoy while cruising.

I wouldn't mind them if they were just used for movies at night, but hate them all the rest of the time. Too loud and obtrusive. Don't we all get enough tv ALL THE TIME?!?! I don't want the news, nor the sports, nor most of the concerts, so it's just noise. This is why I love Spirit Class ships...no big screen on Lido!;)

@Irish. 100% agree...

B&B

love it !!! on the smooth jazz cruise on the Carnival Liberty last year, they projected the jazz artists onto the screen so everyone could see them, which helped because there were 3000 folks on the deck at the same time

late night they would show jazz related movies/videos often featuring the artists that were performing on the ship

they also hosted a tailgate party (featuring Jeffrey Osborne), just before the big game and 3000 jazz cruisers dressed up in their favorite team jerseys so the big screen added to the excitement

Archived