Are the Hawaiian islands just as beautiful as the Caribbean?

Cruzenbabe2

Whoever read my question knows I'm thinking of making the Wind my next cruise. Hubby is resisting saying he wants to go to the Caribbean instead.

He's not even excited about Hawaii How can anyone not be excited about the Hawaiian islands is a wonder to me.

We have been to Key West, Cozumel, Martinique, Barbados, St Maarten, Nassau and Cococay. Bahamas. His favorite being St Maarten, as far as he's concerned he's seen paradise at Orient Beach.

This is a bummer.

Can someone who's done both itineries tell me what's the difference in Hawaiian islands vs Caribbean islands? I'd really appreciate it.

After we return from our first Caribbean cruise April 2nd, I'll tell you how it compared to the Hawaiian Islands! We are going to be a real tough sell, because Hawaii has been our favorite destination for several years now - paradise on Earth!

Aloha! Picklebritches

Our preference would probably by Hawaii over the Caribbean. All the islands are beautiful in their own way. It seems though that occasionally in the Caribbean the poverty issues sometimes take away from the beauty of the island experiences.

Probably a toss up.... Both are beautiful! You can't go wrong with either destination. Enjoy wherever you decide to go!

I have been to Hawaii twice, (Going for the third time next month, and hopefully not the last) and been to the Caribbean I don't remember how many times, 8 times at least. It is hard to compare the two cause they are so different. Depends on what you are going for, To me Hawaii is much prettier, has more variety. It has some of the prettiest beaches in the world, Waikiki for one, the west coast of Maui for another. The rugged coast line of Kauai is beyond description. No place will you see so many waterfalls. Where else can you see a beach with sand as black as coal. You can on the big island. Then on Maui, sand beaches as good as any in the Caribbean. No place else can you see so many beautiful flowers just blooming everywhere. Make your own lei with flowers you just pick up from the ground. My wife did that in Kona with the Plumerias. Bird of Paradise, Antherium, Orchids, etc blooming everywhere. I like the Caribbean, but to me Hawaii is much prettier.

Hawaii is clean, safe and everyone speaks your language. You can eat the food and drink the water without a worry. It is the USA and that makes us feel very secure. Hawaii is our choice over the Caribbean any day.

His favorite being St Maarten, as far as he's concerned he's seen paradise at Orient Beach.
Was he looking to the nudist beach side? ;) Just kidding. I've been to Orient Beach and it is beautiful. But nothing compares to the beaches I saw in Maui on my Hawaiian cruise.

Hawaii was the most beautiful place I've ever seen. Pulling into each of the different ports was incredible! Everyone needs to see it at least once in their lifetime. We love it so much, we'd like to go back next summer. I'm trying to put together a CC group on Pride of Aloha next summer, email me if interested lhall@cinci.rr.com.

Thanks guys, I'm going to show him your replies.

Smeryer418 you sound like my husband. He keeps saying oh that long flight, I can't take that long flight. Good grief!

I had him watching the travel channel last week, A lot of Hawaiian specials. He's just was not getting it. He says he can get the same thing in the Caribbean and it's closer.

And Cecelia, yes he loves that part of the beach too!

I'm going to do more research and find more reviews and pictures of the Wind. I will kick myself if we pass up this 10 day Hawaiian cruise that is the same price as a 7 day Caribbean.

Again, guys thanks so much.

Hawaii wins hands down. The only reason I go to the Carribean is the 12 hour flight. The people of Hawaii and the spirit of aloha make all the difference. Never have I felt more welcome as a guest (on land) then at these islands.

I have visited most of the Carribean islands and there are few if any I want to spend a week. Without breaking the bank. Some islands it is hard to find enough to do for one day unless you just want to sit on a beach.

I have been to Hawaii 3 times. Each time spending 10 days on one island and regreated having to leave (maybe it was the 12 hour redeye with chance of planes in Chicago).

Great beaches, great golf, great food, remarkable landscape, valcanoes, waterfalls and most of all the best hospitality.

If all you want to do is jump on a plane and sit on a beach 12 hours is a long time to spend on a plane to do it. I went to a resort in Jamacia and felt like I was in jail. I go to Hawaii and know I am in paridise.

If I lived on the west coast I would never see the Carribean again unless I was on a ship or sailboat.

Thanks guys, I'm going to show him your replies.

Smeryer418 you sound like my husband. He keeps saying oh that long flight, I can't take that long flight. Good grief!

I had him watching the travel channel last week, A lot of Hawaiian specials. He's just was not getting it. He says he can get the same thing in the Caribbean and it's closer.

And Cecelia, yes he loves that part of the beach too!

I'm going to do more research and find more reviews and pictures of the Wind. I will kick myself if we pass up this 10 day Hawaiian cruise that is the same price as a 7 day Caribbean.

Again, guys thanks so much.

I would fly to China which is a 19 hour flight anytime. I just disagree with all of you about the the beaches. Hawaii's beaches are all volcanic and very harsh sand. Its my understanding that the sand you see in Waikiki is trucked in every year. I have been to Jamica, Bonaire, Aruba, Curaczo, the Domican republic(yes the north shore is not in the Carribean), and Puerto Rico. Jamica is problematic cause of the disparity between the rich and the poor. But this IMO is just some of the things to see. There is a lot to see. I didn't say you shouldn't go to Hawaii but that if you ask me for a week, I'll go to the Carribean thank you very much. and as for the cost. We went to all inclusive in the DR three weeks ago, for a total of 600 per person--including air fare and all the alcohol. and it was lovely. I would be happy to share the pictures if any one wants to see it. I agree that Hawaii is lush and beautiful and the volcanos are very interesting(as is Pearl Harbor), but for me you can keep the 12 hour flight and in 3 short hours be in someplace just as nice with nicer beaches.

I would fly to China which is a 19 hour flight anytime. I just disagree with all of you about the the beaches. Hawaii's beaches are all volcanic and very harsh sand. Its my understanding that the sand you see in Waikiki is trucked in every year. I have been to Jamica, Bonaire, Aruba, Curaczo, the Domican republic(yes the north shore is not in the Carribean), and Puerto Rico. Jamica is problematic cause of the disparity between the rich and the poor. But this IMO is just some of the things to see. There is a lot to see. I didn't say you shouldn't go to Hawaii but that if you ask me for a week, I'll go to the Carribean thank you very much. and as for the cost. We went to all inclusive in the DR three weeks ago, for a total of 600 per person--including air fare and all the alcohol. and it was lovely. I would be happy to share the pictures if any one wants to see it. I agree that Hawaii is lush and beautiful and the volcanos are very interesting(as is Pearl Harbor), but for me you can keep the 12 hour flight and in 3 short hours be in someplace just as nice with nicer beaches.

smeyer418 - I will give you the fact that there are some much nicer beaches in the Carribean if you want to judge then by the quality of the sand. If all you want is to spend time on the beach you may be better off.

I grew up living on the beach 12 months a year. On vacation if I spend an average of 1 hour a day on the beach it is a lot. My boss goes with his family every year to DR and loves it. If the travel time was the same I would take HI every time for a land vacation. It is not and so I am glad we can get to the Carribean in a few hours.

Given a chance to visit HI I think everyone should jump on it at least once. Clearly it is not something you can do every year (I have friends that do). It is not something you can do for $600 pp unless you are talking per day :D

I enjoy golf and there are only a couple of clubs in the Carribean that come close to the average in HI.

smeyer418 - I will give you the fact that there are some much nicer beaches in the Carribean if you want to judge then by the quality of the sand. If all you want is to spend time on the beach you may be better off.

I grew up living on the beach 12 months a year. On vacation if I spend an average of 1 hour a day on the beach it is a lot. My boss goes with his family every year to DR and loves it. If the travel time was the same I would take HI every time for a land vacation. It is not and so I am glad we can get to the Carribean in a few hours.

Given a chance to visit HI I think everyone should jump on it at least once. Clearly it is not something you can do every year (I have friends that do). It is not something you can do for $600 pp unless you are talking per day :D

I enjoy golf and there are only a couple of clubs in the Carribean that come close to the average in HI.

We really don't disagree. If Hawaii was closer I would go more often. For adventure- there is more in the Carribean- different cultures- different people different food- You can if you have to stay on US Territory too(as in the virgin islands etc)....but you walk on the street the Columbus-at least is son- walked on(the actual cobblestones), you can see various other things as well. In Hawaii you can see the bullet holes from the attack on Pearl Harbor-until 9-11 the only actual attack on US Soil(except for Alaska). So for me, I still have diffent places to go in the Carribe. and one day I may be legally able to go to Cuba and see that too.

If his main objection is the long flight to Hawaii, try a 15 day cruise sailing out of Los Angeles or sometimes San Diego. We did the 15 day in December. It was terrific! Hands down, it was our best cruise! I vote for Hawaii!:)

my parents have been to both and thought hawaii was 15 times better. they went to the carib. on the dawn and hawaii on the wind. they loved both but they thought hawaii was just indescribable beauty wise.

is the wind not sailing next summer? I want to do the 10 day hawaii next summer on the wind but it's not offered.

love both but I regard them as completely different types of vacation.

If I want a beach and snorkeling vacation - then it's the Caribbean. Sorry but the beaches in Hawaii (although some are very pretty) don't compare. The sand is not as nice. The water is cooler and not that gorgeous shade of Caribbean aqua and the snorkeling is (for the most part) not as good.

However if I want a vacation full of outstanding natural beauty - then it's Hawaii. Kauai and the Big Island and Maui are full of real breathe-taking beautiful scenery. Sure some of the Caribbean islands have nice scenery but not to the extent that Hawaii does. Everyone should go to Hawaii at least once.

Since I am much closer to the Caribbean I go there at least once a year. However Hawaii is a 10-12 hour plane flight and incredibly expensive - so I have only been there once. I would love to go again.

Thanks guys for your replies. I'm taking it all in.

Hubby did say lets try the cruise that leaves from LA but, unfortunately, our son is in the 8th grade and the 15 day cruises are during the school months. That would have been perfect.

Also my husband is a beach bum he loves to sit on the beach with a Corona, and when I go to Hawaii I want to see everything so he won't be sitting on the beach like he wants too, unless, we go our seperte ways but that's no fun. That being said, the Wind has about 4 sea days, plus we'll spend all day on the beach in Fanning Island. So I think we'll both be happy. I just don't want him to go on this cruise and his heart really isn't in it. Because the first thing that goes wrong I know I'm going to hear it.

Also, the Wind will be out of commision soon, so I'm reading on these boards, and the Wind is much cheaper than the POA.

I'm going to explain this to hubby, show him the prices, do some comparisons, we just have to take this trip or next year we'll be paying out the you know what to get on the POA.

It's a shame we can only cruise in the summer when school is out. A lot of other lines go to Hawaii in the fall and winter.

You guys have answered all my questions about the differences in the islands, thanks for taking the time to respond.

You know, like really begins when your kids grow up, lol. There is plenty of time to go on those more exotic vacations. I really have no desire to go to Hawaii, although I would like to see it just once. I really prefer the ocean and sand in the Caribbean and Bermuda. My dream cruise would be to Tahiti though and I would do that before Hawaii. I hate flying and the shorter the better for me.

oN THE 15 DAY CRUISE TO hAWAII WE TOOK OUR SON out of school. What we did was go in December. When we got back it was in time for Christmas vacation. He made up his work then so it did not spoil the cruise. December is the slowest school month. We took Celebrity and had over 50 kids on board. WHen there is a will their is a way. Good luck! I hope you get to go on the 15 day cruise, and have as much fun as we did. We met so many wonderful people!

Just returned from 2.5 weeks in Hawaii. One week of which was spent of Pride of Aloha. We have been the the Caribbean three times - west, east, south. Hawaii winds hands down. The islands are incredibly beautiful and distinct. However, you don't have to deal with the poverty issue. You have reliable cell service everywhere. You can understand the tour guides. Things on land are up to US standards for cleanliness and service. Only down side is that you pay tax on some things even on the boat. Water was beautiful. I had heard others say that the snorkeling was not as good but that was not our experience. We did scuba in Kona and snorkeled in a Marine Preserve on Lanai. The later was the best we have experienced. Another downside for us is the long trip as we are coming from RI

Hi smeyer418,

Would like to hear more about your all inclusive vacation in the DR and see the pics. Have been looking at DR as a destination and wondering about the all inclusives. Thanks for whatever information you wish to share.

Archived