late dining seating, but confused......please help!

jchristie

I am currently down for the late dinner seating (our family of 5), but I am wondering now if we should change to the early dining time b/c of Circle C and Camp Carinval activities for the kids..... we don't want them to miss anything nor do we want to miss the shows either....

What are the pros and cons here? please help! lol.

As for shows, they have 2 seatings for shows. The early shows are designed for the late diners to see a show then go eat. Then while your eating, they have the show again for the early diners that just finished eating.

Can't answer about Camp Carnival questions.....no kids:D

Maybe opt for Any-Time dining if it isn't already on waitlist. Call carnival or your TA if you booked independently and find out about switching.

You can request a change through your TA or PVP.

If that fails you can request a change of dining assignment once one board. On embarkation day you can visit with the Maitre d' to ask for the change. The location and time will be listed in the Fun Times that you can get at the Guest Services Desk or pretty much any one of the bars on board.

:)

We just got back from a spring break cruise on the Conquest. I have 3 children ages 3-13. We had early seating, and I am very glad. My 3 and 6 year old would have been asleep by the end of the late seating. On the Conquest there were 2 shows--one for early seating and one for late seating, so you don't have to worry about missing out. Hope this helps.

As for shows, they have 2 seatings for shows. The early shows are designed for the late dinners to see a show then go eat.

I'm pretty sure this varies. We always do late seating in the MDR and more often than not the show we attend is after Dinner (usually around 10:30pm).

I am currently down for the late dinner seating (our family of 5), but I am wondering now if we should change to the early dining time b/c of Circle C and Camp Carinval activities for the kids..... we don't want them to miss anything nor do we want to miss the shows either....

What are the pros and cons here? please help! lol.

We have done both late and early, and the shows, as well as Camp Carnival have different things for both seatings, so that will not be an issue. What I found doing the late seating, that we seemed to shut down a lot earlier eating that late, where as eating at 6, we would get a second wind and still going strong at midnight. Not sure of your kids ages, but you might want to move that to early seating.

Mimgan

I'm pretty sure this varies. We always do late seating in the MDR and more often than not the show we attend is after Dinner (usually around 10:30pm).

The only two shows they usually show at 10:30 is the Welcome Abroad show, the first night, and Legends, typically on mostly 7 day cruises, is the pax, so its only done once at 10:30.

The main shows, the two singing and dancing are typically one at around 7 and one around 8:45 pm, the first for late dining and the 2nd for early diners.

So you are both right.

When I sail with kids, I pick early seating because that is when most families are in the dining room. I think you may get some looks from people in the dining room during late seating (if that even bothers you). Even if your kids are spectacularly well behaved, you will still have people giving you 'the look'.

We like the late seating w/ our family. We like to be able to get back after a port amd relax a bit and clean up not rush off to supper. My kids have missed some things at camp but they miss things during the early as well. It bothers my youngest more than the oldest. My oldest looks forward to meals on board.

If they really want to catch a activity we do a few things

~ feed them before either off the buffet or eat w/ camp and miss the family dinner

~ my youngest (11) likes to order off the kids menu for the most part. And his food comes fast and early we let him eat and then send him to camp.

~or they just miss some activities. There is no way you can do it ALL when sailing.

Taking late seating your kids will miss out on lots.

Camps close from 5 til 7 (which is when you will be getting ready for early dinner- eating etc. )

Late dining starts at 8pm= so you see you kids will have MUCH downtime.

By the time they get done dinner camp programs will be winding down.

Just coming off the Glory.....this is what we found:

There was an 8:30pm show (early diners)and a 10:30pm show (late diners).

Twice they had a 10:30pm show only...the Welcome Aboard show and the Legends show.

There were several times for the comedy shows.

We had late dining. The first night, my kids missed the orientation/meet & greet at the kids programs because they occurred while we were at dinner. The kids were given the choice to eat at the buffet but they wanted to eat in the dining room. They don't HAVE to go that first night, but it is much easier if they do as the kids start forming their friends early on.

Just my two cents...

The only two shows they usually show at 10:30 is the Welcome Abroad show, the first night, and Legends, typically on mostly 7 day cruises, is the pax, so its only done once at 10:30.

The main shows, the two singing and dancing are typically one at around 7 and one around 8:45 pm, the first for late dining and the 2nd for early diners.

So you are both right.

This got me curious (really to see if I remembered correctly or not) so I pulled up the latest Fun Times from John's Blog for the Dream (I did the dream because that is what I am sailing next). You are correct that the Welcome show and Legend (night 1 & 7) are only done once at it is late (10:15 and 10:30). However, all other nights except for one the late seating showtime is after dinner (10:30 all nights but one). Only the fifth night of that cruise has a showtime for the late seating before dinner. This is how I remembered it was on our Glory cruise a few years back. We would go to dinner (we always do late seating) and then go to the show with our tablemates.

I guess different sailings do it different ways. It may depend on the ship or even the CD.

So we have late seating on the Dream, my son will miss some stuff at the kids clubs. mmmmm...well i guess the first night we will get him something to eat early and then let him go to the kids club so he can meet some other kids and we can have our late dinner. We ate at the late seating last year on disney magic and we had no problems, except for the first day when he fell asleep at dinner...(we were up at 4AM for flight from Philadelphai)He didn't even finish his milkshake...We will then just play it by ear.......:cool:

We now always do late seating with our kids. The first time we went with them we did early and we all hated it. Last year when they were 9 and 7 they again did late seating like they did the year before. It is much more relaxing having late as early seating is too rushed. 2 or so nights they choose to eat with the Camp which is great too. They seem to like late as well. My kids are decent enough but no angels for sure yet they are fine in late seating.

So we have late seating on the Dream, my son will miss some stuff at the kids clubs. mmmmm...well i guess the first night we will get him something to eat early and then let him go to the kids club so he can meet some other kids and we can have our late dinner. We ate at the late seating last year on disney magic and we had no problems, except for the first day when he fell asleep at dinner...(we were up at 4AM for flight from Philadelphai)He didn't even finish his milkshake...We will then just play it by ear.......:cool:

the first night there is no program for kids-- its all family stuff so you will have to go with him

Archived