CPAP Medical Device count as carry on?

Last cruise I went on, I took my c-pap and put it in a backpack instead of its regular case. I either wore or carried the backpack, and also had a regular carry-on. The beauty of the backpack was that it had lots of extra pockets to store other goodies in. And take an extension cord...comes in handy in your room.

I just got off the Glory on Sunday and did the CPAP in the backpack this time and that is the way to go...

Just remember to also take an extension cord as sometimes it can be a long reach to the outlets.

Last cruise I went on, I took my c-pap and put it in a backpack instead of its regular case. I either wore or carried the backpack, and also had a regular carry-on. The beauty of the backpack was that it had lots of extra pockets to store other goodies in. And take an extension cord...comes in handy in your room.

Just an FYI... The airlines will allow your CPAP as an extra carry-on. However, if load up the bag it is in with non-medical items, they can make you check the bag.

The CPAP is counted as a medical device and is not counted as a carry on.

What about the distilled water the CPAP machine takes, do they count that in the 12 cans/bottles per person as a beverage or is that considered a medical device as well?

The CPAP is counted as a medical device and is not counted as a carry on.

What about the distilled water for the CPAP machine. Is it considered as a medical device or do they include that in the 12 cans/bottles per person beverage rule?

Sorry duplicate post

It doesn't matter if it counts as a carry-on on a cruise because there is no limit to the number of carry-ons you can bring. As long as they fit through the x-ray machine, you can carry on as much as you can carry.

What about the distilled water for the CPAP machine. Is it considered as a medical device or do they include that in the 12 cans/bottles per person beverage rule?

I don't have the answer, we are considering putting distilled water in carryon for the ship; buying it after we arrive by plane. Seems they should allow us to carry on ship,...will be interested in response to your post!

Ship water is actually distilled then treated for drinking. You can use plain old home tap water for a short time, but the ship water is still much cleaner than home water.

You can also request a gallon of distilled water from the ship, but I hear it costs something like $4.00.

You can probably carry a gallon on but mark it "for medical use."

Both my wife and I used ship water and it was fine.

And put your extension cord and power strip in with your C-PAP equipment.

Does anyone know if a CPAP device is counted as your carry on or, like the airlines, do they allow a carry on in addition?:confused:

The number of carry on items that you can bring on the ship is only limited by what you want to haul around until you can get to your cabin. If you want 10 or 12 carry on items have at it!

We just got back from the Freedom. My husband brought his CPAP machine - no problem carrying it on on American Airlines. Since we spent the night before the cruise at a hotel he needed distilled water for that night so purchased a half gallon. As a result he carried on an opened, partially used half gallon of distilled water on the ship. The first security person in line told us no way will they allow that on - the actual security person at the conveyor belt told my husband - "no problem". Never sniffed it (I guess it could have been vodka!), never tasted it. Maybe it is because we look like boring middle aged people!

Summary: no problem with carrying on the machine or distilled water. As others said do not forget to bring an extension cord.

In reply to your question, You can carry your CPAP with you along with a carry on. I have one and they always let me carry it on along with my carry on bag. It is a medical necessity that is permitted. Only drawback is you have to take it out of the carrying case and let them run it through the scanner but that is all.

Does anyone know if a CPAP device is counted as your carry on or, like the airlines, do they allow a carry on in addition?:confused:

I think you mean the cruise lines. I purchased a gallon of water (when I arrived in the port city) and put it in a bag with my soda and gave it to the porter. It arrived in my room with my luggage. You can carry it on the ship. ;)

On our recent Monarch cruise DH was using a CPAP machine. He put it in the large pocket of his backpack to carry onto the plane. It barely, just barely, fit underneath the seat in front of him so he didn't have to pay to put it in an overhead bin.

We had requested an extension cord and distilled water, and they were both in our stateroom when we arrived. However, the extentsion cord had the wrong type of plug in so he wasn't able to use it. He carries one with him though, so just used that. RCI did not charge for the gallon of distilled water.

They did, however, put a magnetic sign on our door "Oxygen in use, no naked lights." We thought about taking it down, as a CPAP machine doesn't use an oxygen tank, but the sign helped us find our room easily so we left it up. :)

Ship water is actually distilled then treated for drinking. You can use plain old home tap water for a short time, but the ship water is still much cleaner than home water.

You can also request a gallon of distilled water from the ship, but I hear it costs something like $4.00.

You can probably carry a gallon on but mark it "for medical use."

Both my wife and I used ship water and it was fine.

And put your extension cord and power strip in with your C-PAP equipment.

I did not realize that the ship water was distilled. I will have to look into this further. We are travelling on the Pride on October 30th

I did not realize that the ship water was distilled. I will have to look into this further. We are travelling on the Pride on October 30th

While some ships may use distillation to make their water supply many use reverse osmosis. While the water at the time of filtering or distillation is pure there are chemicals added to it in the holding tank and it will pick up particulates while traveling through the plumbing. Because of this it is not the same as distilled water.

I do have to say that of the many ships I have sailed the Pride had the worst water. There was a "taste" to it. I have sailed her twice and both times it had that "taste". I brought it up one night at dinner and my table mate thanked me for saying it. She turned to her husband and said: "See, I'm not crazy." :D

Just ask your cabin attendant for some distilled water.

Take care,

Mike

No problems bringing hubbies CPAP on Destiny last month. Not considered a carry on by airline or ship. Bring along your extension cord AND some duct tape! Our cord had to reach over the area walk-thru. Duct tape keeps anyone from tripping over it at night!

I bring a CPAP machine with me and when I booked my cruise the operator told me that just like RCCL, Carnival would provide me with an extension cord and a gallon of distilled water. She told me to expect it in my stateroom when I board. This is exactly what happened when I sailed with RCCL; both items were on the desk when I arrived. You can always call the special needs department and verify.

Archived