NCL Sun Going to Berlin on train independently

I priced this out and figured out the train schedules with help from several people on this discussion board, so thank you for your help.

The Sun arrives Warnemunde at 7:30 a.m. and departs at 10 p.m. on Jun 23. We are considering the 9:07 a.m departure from Rostock and the 4:45 p.m. return from Berlin which returns to Rostock at 7:24 p.m.

I know that we need to take a second train to get from Rostock to Warnemunde, and these operate relatively frequently. So that should be no problem.

My question is what time do we have to actually be back on the ship? I am assuming 8:30 p.m or 9:00 p.m. Is this accurate?

I priced this out and figured out the train schedules with help from several people on this discussion board, so thank you for your help.

The Sun arrives Warnemunde at 7:30 a.m. and departs at 10 p.m. on Jun 23. We are considering the 9:07 a.m departure from Rostock and the 4:45 p.m. return from Berlin which returns to Rostock at 7:24 p.m.

I know that we need to take a second train to get from Rostock to Warnemunde, and these operate relatively frequently. So that should be no problem.

My question is what time do we have to actually be back on the ship? I am assuming 8:30 p.m or 9:00 p.m. Is this accurate?

You are correct. The ship's departure time is 10:00. You would need to be onboard by 9:00. Below is copied from NCL's website:

"In all ports of call, it is also the guest's responsibility to be back onboard the ship no later than one (1) hour prior to the ship's scheduled departure time. Please be aware that shipboard time may differ from the port of call and it is the guest's responsibility to follow the shipboard time. In the event a guest misses the ship, it will be the guest's responsibility to pay all expenses incurred to rejoin the ship."

I did this cruise last year. As for Berlin, do be aware that by going independantly by train, you are taking a big risk that something won't go wrong as far as the train scheduling goes.....I hired a private guide to pick us up by vehicle to go to and from berlin and didn't regret it at all especially being driven around Berlin and seeing the sights

Another option is to ask a private tour company if you can just pay for the transport to and from Berlin instead of the entire tour. Someone on my cruise contacted spb-tours and I believe is paying them 50 euros just for the transport.

On our Baltics cruise, the ship sponsored train tour to Berlin was delayed in getting back because there was a problem on the tracks. Lucky for all those people, over 700, because not only did the ship wait for them but they kept all the food service, buffet and MDR open until they all boarded.

Unless you are fluent in German and prepared to take an expensive cab ride, I wouldn't chance it. Holland America offered a shore excursion with train transportation only - which is another alternative.

Just to chime in...I'm normally for doing things on your own, but you're going to be a long long way from the ship while in Berlin. If any little thing goes, it could be tough getting back in time.

My DH and I booked a tour with Denrus. They picked us up at the pier and we stayed with the same bus/tour guide for the entire trip. They made sure we got back in plenty of time.

We were with Denrus in St Petersburg too. One of their other tour buses broke down and they got other buses to pick up the passengers and made sure they were back at the pier (some of the passengers came back on our bus with us, so I know it's true). They seemed very reliable.

Another option is just go to Rostock for the day. Some on our cruise last year did that and liked the city...just another option.

Archived