Is the Carnival Dream the Ship for Us?

sail2day

My wife, daughter and I are thinking of cruising on the Carnival Dream during the upcoming summer vacation. I have read many negative reviews/comments about the Dream. We just returned from a wonderful cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse during Spring Break. What should we do?

Is the passenger/space ratio that bad?

I haven't sailed on it but a friend went on it a dew weeks ago and said it was stupid at how packed it was. He said it seemed they just made a big ship to hold more people but not give them more space to move about or extra things to do.

Some folks here loved it though and said it wasn't crowded. I guess it depends on your idea of a crowd.

We sailed the Dream last summer, and prefer the Conquest class ships. That said, we still had a GREAT time on the Dream, and wouldn't hesitate to sail her again.

Everyone also has a different perception of crowds. Every cruise (Disney, RCCL and Carnival) we've sailed has sailed full, but it wasn't noticeable to us. I think of Disneyworld when I think of 'crowds.':)

My wife, daughter and I are thinking of cruising on the Carnival Dream during the upcoming summer vacation. I have read many negative reviews/comments about the Dream. We just returned from a wonderful cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse during Spring Break. What should we do?

Since the first few months that she was sailing, almost all of the reviews from people actually sailing her have been positive. The passenger/space ratio is about the same as Conquest class. There are more passengers, but despite what some people say, there is more public space on Dream than on the Conquest. It depends whether every single bed is filled (around 4600 passengers) or if there's just 2/room (3600). Usually, it's somewhere inbetween. For us, it was around 4100, and it didn't feel any more crowded than other ships that carried far less people. It was such an awesome cruise, that we're returning in November. In the summer, they probably are closer to the 4600, which will make it feel more crowded than we experienced. There are ways to handle the crowds, but it will still be far less crowded than amusement parks or the Grand Canyon. Keep in mind that many of the negative Dream comments on these boards come from people who haven't actually sailed the Dream.

I haven't sailed on it but a friend went on it a dew weeks ago and said it was stupid at how packed it was. He said it seemed they just made a big ship to hold more people but not give them more space to move about or extra things to do.

Some folks here loved it though and said it wasn't crowded. I guess it depends on your idea of a crowd.

The passenger/space ratio at the worst case is the same as on a Conquest class ship so I have to believe that it's a question of perception rather than fact.

I sailed on the Dream when she was at max capacity and the weather precluded ANY activities on the open decks. Was it a bit crowded... sure it was. Was it unbearable? Nope... and I'm not one that likes crowds in the least.

The ship is lovely and elegant. Is it for you? Only you can answer that question but I would venture to say... yes.

:)

We cruised on the Dream this past June and have now booked a return trip for June 2012. I loved the Dream. I didn't notice crowds to be worse than any other ship I have been on. We were always able to get a good seat to watch the movie on the Lido deck at night. We never had to wait long at all in the buffet line (five minutes max).

We LOVED the comedy club - if you like comedy, it's a nice addition that is different from other ships.

We had a Cove balcony - which was fantastic! That is the main reason we booked her again. We can't wait!

The ship is lovely and elegant...

The Dream?

I would have to say that those words would better describe the Eclipse (Solstice class) rather than the Dream. Having been on the Dream 3 times, and on the Solstice once - I REALLY felt that the Solstice was one of the most attractive ships we have been on. The Dream: really just a larger Carnival ship...

OP: You will, WITHOUT A DOUBT, feel the crowds more on the Dream compared to your recent Eclipse sailing.

Tom

We had a Cove balcony - which was fantastic! That is the main reason we booked her again. We can't wait!

IF we were to ever set foot on a Dream class ship again - it would be in a Cove Balcony (and that's after experiencing two aft corners and one suite on the Dream)!

Tom

We sailed on the Dream last November. Our experience of crowding was no different than any other cruise, on any other line-including Celebrity, RCCL, Norwegian and Disney, we have experienced. We never smelled a smell either. We were in a category OS suite on deck 6. We do not usually sit near the pool or eat at the buffet. So.... my POV might not be the same as others who post here.

The cruise was good and we sailed with a 17 year old. The western route is the better route.

Carnival gives you much bang for your buck.

You are the only one who can decide what works for you, but you never know until you try!

Whatever you decide, have fun!

OP, you did not state the age of your child or your past cruising history, but I think you will find they are quite different animals, Celebrity Eclipse and Carnival Dream. I have not sailed Eclipse, but can tell you the Dream can get very crowded. Some people thrive on this, however. Kids seem to love it. All cruises are different, even on the same ship, but on ours seating was hard to come by around the pools and adult areas, as well as in the cafeteria. Food, however, was outstanding. Yes, God, there is a smell. Only in certain areas, though. Rooms were extraordinarily comfy. I'm sure you can read all this on reviews.

All this said, we are hoping to sail Dream's sister ship in the Med next year -- forgot the name -- because we are taking a large group, and the price will matter.

There is no bad choice here, only the choice that's right for you. Good luck!

Archived