YES, another passport question

pomm1972

My sister is in the process of getting a passport for my niece. I know she only needs a BC but because my neice's father is a deadbeat dad, doesn't care to see her, she decided that instead of having to track him down and get his permission she decided that getting her a passport would be easier.

Now the question, they cashed the check, does this mean the passport is a go? Anyone have experience with this? Anyone been refused and they also cashed the check.

I couldn't see that they would but one never knows. FYI she had to sign an affidavit of why she can't get his permission, provided custody paperwork and her "permanent restraining order" against the guy.

My sister is in the process of getting a passport for my niece. I know she only needs a BC but because my neice's father is a deadbeat dad, doesn't care to see her, she decided that instead of having to track him down and get his permission she decided that getting her a passport would be easier.

Now the question, they cashed the check, does this mean the passport is a go? Anyone have experience with this? Anyone been refused and they also cashed the check.

I couldn't see that they would but one never knows. FYI she had to sign an affidavit of why she can't get his permission, provided custody paperwork and her "permanent restraining order" against the guy.

I thought the spouse's permission was required to get a passport - either in person or via notarized form DS 3053.

I know that just a month ago, it was 3 weeks almost to the day from the time we brought it to the day we received it in the mail (just an FYI).

As for the check, the $25 check should be cashed first, as that's for the facility where it was applied. It's the $80 check (I think that's the cost) that would be cashed by the passport folks.

I thought the spouse's permission was required to get a passport - either in person or via notarized form DS 3053.

That's why she had to sign the affidavit of him being a deadbeat dad - I would believe that a permanent restraining order against him kind of waives his rights to deny his child a passport...

I have sole physical/legal of my kids and my ex-husband lives out of state. He couldn't physically be there to sign for the passport and is lazy so never sent me anything in writing giving me permission. I finally took my custody paperwork along with a letter from myself explaining his absence and had no issues getting passports for my boys.

If the passport agency cashed the $125 check for the passport, I believe it is good to go. The $25 check at the passport application location (post office for me) would be cashed regardless of whether the passport is issued or not, they did their job by submitting the passport.

:eek:

So if a parent has the passport for the child, do they still need additional paperwork at the cruise terminal from the other parent stating they can leave the country with the child?

Yep, still need letter. After eleven cruises we have never been asked for letter, but still bring it just in case

Sorry to hijack but I have a similar question.

I was going to apply for my daughters passport today but on the travel.state.gov website it stated that as of April 1, 2011. The BC has to have both parents on it. Her birth certificate does not list her father. Without getting into the gritty details, he did not sign her BC at birth and only seen her about twice in her 7 years. What do I need to do to get her a passport?

I believe the site says the applicant(s) name must be on the birth certificate. I don't take this to mean both parent's names must be on, just the parent applying for the passport.

If you are the only parent of record then I don't see how they could require permission from the father to get the passport, or to leave the country. You will need to send the birth certificate, or an official copy, when applying for the passport & be sure to bring a certified copy of the BC when you go on the cruise (to show you don't need a letter from your daughter's father).

So if a parent has the passport for the child, do they still need additional paperwork at the cruise terminal from the other parent stating they can leave the country with the child?

I was told at the post office when I applied for my kids passports that having the passport was in effect approval from both parents to take the child out of the country. Please verify with whoever you are cruising/flying with if this is accurate, but this is what I was told by the postal employee.

Some points never answered. The cruise ship does not care if you have a letter. The letter is for legal authorities, both in the US and abroad, and is to protect you from going to jail for kidnapping. So either have a letter, or bring legal proof that the other parent has no parental rights.

The passport office is trained to know what is needed, so if all the paperwork is in order, a passport will be issued. Either way, you should know within about 3 - 4 weeks.

You need the passport or BC to enter countries, not exit them. The cruise line, just checks that you have it, because they have to hand over the passenger list 60 minutes prior to leaving. They are not customs and do not even check to see if it is valid, they just verify you have the correct number on your boarding papers. However, your customs agent will scan them into their computer, and see if you are a wanted person.

People leave the ship with a kid all the time, while leaving the spouse behind. No one is going to ask you if you have a letter.

So bring what you need, and if you don't need it, than great, but if something happens, it's best to be prepared.

Should be fine on getting the passport, but that does not mean that she can take the child out of the country without fathers permission.

Yes

in my sister's case my niece's passport will be lieu of the letter. She'll bring all of her paperwork with her though.

Thanks everyone for your help, you eased my sister's mind.

Just be aware that having a passport does not do away with the need to have consent of the absent parent to take a minor out of the country. Make sure the mother always keeps all the paper work with here when traveling.

in my sister's case my niece's passport will be lieu of the letter. She'll bring all of her paperwork with her though.

Thanks everyone for your help, you eased my sister's mind.

Please have your sister make a copy of ALL the legal paperwork she intends to bring, it will save on months of heartache and headaches in the event it gets lost or misplaced.:)

Have a great cruise everyone.

Sorry to hijack but I have a similar question.

I was going to apply for my daughters passport today but on the travel.state.gov website it stated that as of April 1, 2011. The BC has to have both parents on it. Her birth certificate does not list her father. Without getting into the gritty details, he did not sign her BC at birth and only seen her about twice in her 7 years. What do I need to do to get her a passport?

I can tell you as a passport agent, if her birth certificate only lists the mother, you will not need anything further from the father. If the father is not listed, you can take care of everything yourself. Have a great trip.

Archived