Traveler's cheques?

KRW71

Does anybody still use these?

Do they accept them at most of the tourist locations (zip lines in Roatan, Stingrays, Caye Caulker, Chakanaab) the Caribbean?

We used them on our last cruise in 1997 with no problems so I am hoping it is still OK.

I just would rather not use my MC at every port, esp. when they tack on a fee sometimes.

thanks everyone:)

I would be surprised if any of the tourist places accept them, but maybe Im shopping in places you dont. They might take them in expensive stores. I bring cash for buying souveneirs in the ports.

14 years since you cruised, traveler's checks are not even as easy to buy these days.

I doubt any of them take TCs.

But, you can cash TCs on board before you get off the ship at each port.

From Carnival's FAQ's:

Can Traveler's Checks be cashed on board?

Traveler's Checks can be cashed on board at the Guest Services Desk. Since Traveler's Checks are considered as cash, there is no fee for this check cashing service, but there is a $1,000 per day limit, to the dollar amount cashed.

Canadian Traveler's Checks can be cashed on board at the Guest Services Desk at the current exchange rate.

We do not accept bank issued cashier's checks or money orders on board.

Call me old-fashioned, but I used several Travelers' cheques on our cruise last week. Cashed 2 at Guest Services and used one to purchase a pair of sunglasses in Cozumel. Never had a problem but AAA tells me they will not have them for use after August, 2011. They would like all to buy a Debit Card that you pre-load with cash, but I still like the guarantee Travelers' cheques have that if you lose them they will be replaced for free. I guess it is a different world today, always changing!!

I would look into a reloadable debit card. With today's technology, these are soooo much easier to use and do not have to deal with those "old fashioned travellers checks". I just got one for my daughter who is now using it in Italy. It is used worldwide (you just tell them when and where you are travelling and they will load the card in the currency you need). You can track purchases/balance anytime online, and it's reloadable which is nice. You can also use it at an ATM. Also..VERY VERY important..the debit card needs to have the new "CHIP and PIN" technology..this is a must, especially in foreign countries (in other words..many of our credit cards/debit cards have issues and will not work in certain countries due to the magnetic strip). the card I purchased for my daughter is chip and pin ready and is guaranteed to work anywhere in the world that accepts credit and debit cards. There is also convenient loss protection on it and they replace it if lost or stolen within 24 hours. When you are done with your trip, you can "cash out" on any unused balance. Go to www.cashpassport.com for more details. By the way, it was my local AAA office that told me about this reloadable debit card and where to get it, etc.

TC are become a thing of the past. If you can --apply for capital one card they have no foreign transaction fees. And protection. I bought jewelry in Cozumel and took it to be appraisal @ home. Found out it was glass. so much for me being a savvy shopper and using approve shops! They refund the entire cost of the item.

Does anybody still use these?

Do they accept them at most of the tourist locations (zip lines in Roatan, Stingrays, Caye Caulker, Chakanaab) the Caribbean?

We used them on our last cruise in 1997 with no problems so I am hoping it is still OK.

I just would rather not use my MC at every port, esp. when they tack on a fee sometimes.

thanks everyone:)

I still use them. They are becoming more difficult to find as some banks do not issue them anymore, my credit union still does. You used to be able to get them in $20 denominations but they are $50's now depending on the package that you purchase.

I have not used them in port since most stores that I shopped in accept credit cards. I have a low balance card that I felt safe to use. I cash the traveler's checks at the Purser's desk and use the cash in port. It's easier to carry the checks than cash. Store them in the safe until needed. :D

A few years ago there were a bunch of fake tc out there a lot of places will not take them. Karl Malden would have a tough time passing one :). I always call my credit card to let them know I will be gone. My visa rep reminded me that his card has NO fee for out of country transactions.

On one cruise I had trouble cashing them because I could not sign my name exactly the way I did when I bought them. Even the ship would not cash them even though I had picture ID. I had to take them back to my bank

So it looks like it's going to be cash or credit card for us. It's been a loooong time since we have traveled outside of the US so we are a bit out of practice. We have not even been on a plane since our honeymoon in '97. we do travel but we drive.

Thanks for the input everyone.

I learn so much from CC.

I still use them. They are becoming more difficult to find as some banks do not issue them anymore, my credit union still does. You used to be able to get them in $20 denominations but they are $50's now depending on the package that you purchase.

I have not used them in port since most stores that I shopped in accept credit cards. I have a low balance card that I felt safe to use. I cash the traveler's checks at the Purser's desk and use the cash in port. It's easier to carry the checks than cash. Store them in the safe until needed. :D

Ditto for me. We used them on the Freedom this past October and no problem.

Archived