Embarkation luncheon question

webfoot3

My wife and I are Mariner's and will be sailing on the Veendam next week. With us in our cabin are our daughter and soon to be son-in-law who are new to HAL. Will they be able to join us at the Mariner's embarkation luncheon?

My wife and I are Mariner's and will be sailing on the Veendam next week. With us in our cabin are our daughter and soon to be son-in-law who are new to HAL. Will they be able to join us at the Mariner's embarkation luncheon?

I was the only Mariner in our party of 6 on the O, and all were welcomed to the luncheon (which was very nice by the way).

Karen

Completely agree and makes boarding early a pleasant experience and a great way to begin a cruise.

YES! We tried this luncheon for the first time in December and thought it was a lovely, relaxing way to begin the cruise. Ah, to be waited upon with a gracious smile. It was also a God-send for our 24 yr.-old Asperger son, since he can't take a lot of confusion. To us, the Lido on that first day should be renamed "Chaos Alley."

BTW, our son was a first-time HAL passenger, and the maitre d' never asked to see any of our cabin cards, nor did he ask for our cabin #s. Since DS was staying in his own cabin, I guess technically he could have been turned away.

Was there a special invitation to this Mariners' embarcation luncheon that I missed on our last cruise? I did notice it once we were aboard, but I don't recall ever seeing any notice of it prior to boarding? We would have made a point of attending it, had we known. We did attend the luncheon later in the week, however. I must admit, however, that we like "chaos alley". It is such a relief on the day of boarding to sink into a comfortable chair and say: "We are finally here." Unfortunately, the Lido grill and pizza are no longer available for the first 48 hours of the cruise. Probably a good thing, however.

they might ask you your cabin number -- once you give it to them -- it will show on the computer that you are a mariner -- no problems

I don't think we were asked anything on either of our two recent cruises. Just hello and let me show you to a table. We didn't get invitations either time. THANK YOU Cruise Critic, or we might not have known about this luncheon.

It is one of the most civilized perks given to past passengers. While everyone else is being herded to the Lido, Mariners have a lovely, quiet lunch--if they know it exists. I worry that lack of participation will cause HAL to stop offering this.

Was there a special invitation to this Mariners' embarcation luncheon that I missed on our last cruise? I did notice it once we were aboard, but I don't recall ever seeing any notice of it prior to boarding? We would have made a point of attending it, had we known. We did attend the luncheon later in the week, however. I must admit, however, that we like "chaos alley". It is such a relief on the day of boarding to sink into a comfortable chair and say: "We are finally here." Unfortunately, the Lido grill and pizza are no longer available for the first 48 hours of the cruise. Probably a good thing, however.

We were handed an invitation to the Mariners Embarkation Lunch when we checked in for our March Noordam cruise.

I don't think we were asked anything on either of our two recent cruises. Just hello and let me show you to a table. We didn't get invitations either time. THANK YOU Cruise Critic, or we might not have known about this luncheon.

It is one of the most civilized perks given to past passengers. While everyone else is being herded to the Lido, Mariners have a lovely, quiet lunch--if they know it exists. I worry that lack of participation will cause HAL to stop offering this.

on both the ryndam and the nieuw amsterdam we were asked our cabin number

others have mentioned that they got an invitation -- we have yet to get one

I thought they asked your cabin number in case you ordered a "beverage" with your lunch (soda, glass of wine, etc.) We had a great lunch in the MDR on embarkation day last November on the Zuiderdam.

i was told that they ask for your cabin just to keep a record of who all eats in the dining room

whenever we have ordered a cocktail at the embarkation lunch -- the wine steward always asks for our ID card to ring up the bill

i was told that they ask for your cabin just to keep a record of who all eats in the dining room

whenever we have ordered a cocktail at the embarkation lunch -- the wine steward always asks for our ID card to ring up the bill

You are probably right KK. I just remember last November that they did ask (at the door) for our cabin #. I know I would have ordered a diet coke ... but I was just so glad to be back on a HAL ship I don't really remember much else about lunch!

I thought they asked your cabin number in case you ordered a "beverage" with your lunch (soda, glass of wine, etc.) We had a great lunch in the MDR on embarkation day last November on the Zuiderdam.

They now always ask for cards and swipe them for all purchases, beverages or shops or whatever. If you order a beverage at MDR Embarkation day lunch, they'll ask for your card.

They now always ask for cards and swipe them for all purchases, beverages or shops or whatever. If you order a beverage at MDR Embarkation day lunch, they'll ask for your card.

Yes, we did have to hand over a card to pay for our wine atthe embarkation lunch. But that's OK, the first item on our statement is always a bar bill!

How long is lunch served? We aren't being picked at the Westin (HAL transfer) until 12:30 pm? Thanks.

embarkation lunch:

dining room -- Noon until 1:30

Lido buffet -- 11:30 - 2 or 2:30 -- sandwiches, salads, pizza and desserts until about 4:30 - 5

terrace grill -- 11:30 - 5 (sometimes 6 on some ships)

We were at a table of 8 last HAL cruise and only us and one other couple were Mariners. None were previously acquainted. It was a nice luncheon but really not very special.

Not having to drag our carry-on around the Lido made it special enough for me! After the bustle of getting to the pier, checking in, waiting to board (sometimes), getting to the luncheon is a lovely ahhhh moment and a nice start to the cruise.

Archived