Travel Apps - Any Suggestions?

JAKcruiser

I've been using Tripit.com It will sync with what is entered at the website with your devise and the info can be accessed while offline. Stores itinerary info, phone, mileage numbers and just about anything else.

I'm currently using for my iPhone:

icruise............................Free

Shipmate.......................$1.99

TheAlaskaApp..................Free

WorldMate.......................Free

ADN - Alaska Daily News...Free

SE Alaska........................$1.99 I think

Fly Delta..........................Free - I can upload boarding passes, check-in, etc. from my phone!

I have all of the above either on my iPad or iPhone. In addition I have Gate Guru and all the ones for the airlines I flew plus those for appropriate hotels.

Make sure that the touring info you need can be got to offline.

I have all of the above either on my iPad or iPhone. In addition I have Gate Guru and all the ones for the airlines I flew plus those for appropriate hotels.

Make sure that the touring info you need can be got to offline.

There are so many great travels apps available now. I was looking for suggestions of some to add to our iPad prior to our trip to Alaska.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for posting this question! I've now found some new apps that will simplify my travel!

I thought this was a good idea:

"Apple's implementation of Google Maps is still the best in the world. And it's super helpful for traveling, with public transit directions in many cities.

Tip: If you won't have Internet access where you're going, take screenshots of maps in advance. (Tap the "power" and "home" buttons at the same time.) Then you can look at them anytime."

I thought this was a good idea:

"Apple's implementation of Google Maps is still the best in the world. And it's super helpful for traveling, with public transit directions in many cities.

Tip: If you won't have Internet access where you're going, take screenshots of maps in advance. (Tap the "power" and "home" buttons at the same time.) Then you can look at them anytime."

Wow...great tip! My Ipad is on it's way. I ordered it online and it has taken forever (sigh of frustration). Can't wait to put it through it's paces. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting ready for our trip this weekend. I am loading PDF's of all of our travel documents, maps, brochures, etc. They look GREAT in color on the iPad with zooming and details.

It started with loading Murray's Guide (PDF formatted) and it showing up automatically in the iLibrary. I then found nice color maps of the various places we are visiting and brochures from each ports' tourism board.

Nice tip. I have Murray's Guide too and just recently received my new iPad. I will goggle to read up on how to import a PDF to my iPad.

Great tips on this thread....I am loving my iPad!

Nice tip. I have Murray's Guide too and just recently received my new iPad. I will goggle to read up on how to import a PDF to my iPad.

Great tips on this thread....I am loving my iPad!

You need to install a PDF printer driver on your regular computer. So when you "print," a PDF file is created. Then you upload the files to Google Docs, and download the PDFs back on the iPad. I think there is an easier way to do that by buying an app that lets you "print" a PDF directly from your computer to the iPad, but I haven't looked into it. It wasn't too hard doing the way I did it and I wanted my travel documents stored in the Google "cloud" in case we lost everything.

there is an Alaska app available free for all smart phones....It is wonderful...Has everything you might need for all of Alaska...Fairly new...explore it...it has audio tours, stand in front of a building and it will tell you it's history.....look for it if you are going to Alaska..

Any good apps for android phones?

Tripit is available for both Android and iOS, and it's a fantastic app. I use it for coordinating group trips with friends as well as for personal travel. It also exports to Google Calendar automatically so all of your data is available in your calendar app as well.

Other apps that I use (available on both iOS and Android) include Kayak and Flightview - very handy for dealing with flights while on the go.

Also, a handy suggestion: use Dropbox (or something similar) to save electronic copies of miscellaneous travel documents so you have them at your fingertips whenever you need them (assuming you have net access, of course!).

Thanks for all the suggestions - I just downloaded some new ones to my phone! Another vote here for Tripit. Don't know how I kept track of everything involving my travels before this - it is GREAT and so easy to use!

Sit or Squat for restrooms!

I downloaded Sit or Squat but don't use it as I'd need a wifi connection first. :(

I've not found a better travel app than Tripit.

Non-travel related AppBox Pro has about 25 apps in one. Very handy.

We, the rangers at Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center, are thinking about developing a low-cost guide app for the glacier and/or the Tongass National Forest. It would have information about area trails, our wildlife, the glacier's formation and movements, etc. Is that something cruise passengers would find useful?

Archived