Help!!! Sea legs still hanging around 6 days later, Will this feeling pass ever?!

seahowIrun

DH had a real problem with diziness after a cruise and flight. The ENT told him to take Bonine. It worked and he was better the next day. ENT also advised that when combining a flight with the cruise to take Bonine last 3 days of the cruise and for several days after. It has worked like a charm.

I recently had a bout of vertigo (alas not cruise induced) and saw the ENT. He advised that if it happened again I should cut out all caffeine, take an antihistamine and drink lots of water. Followed his advice and the vertigo (room spinning) stopped within a few hours. The previous bout without this treatment lasted 3 days.

I have heard the Bonine preventative strategy works great too, but did not know about it my first time. I would try the Benadryl method at this point. My husband get vertigo and found it is the quickest remedy. It worked like a charm for me too. Since it makes me really sleepy, I took two small tabs before bed and woke up fine the next morning. Good luck!:)

I always get this after I cruise. For me, it usually lasts 7-14 days and eventually goes away. (Just yesterday I stopped feeling it from my April 3 cruise). I find that taking strong OTC decongestants (the kind you have to go to the pharmacy desk for) helps greatly.

Hang in there!

I am feeling a little more stable after a few says of taking bonnie but it just boggles my mind how it takes so liong to recover for some of us. When it finally went away for you did it happen gradually or did it just happen overnight?

:confused:

I have never taken a cruise before and decided it would be fun to do on my hunymoon, I was on the carnival inspiration in Tampa for 5 days got off last sat at 9am hopped on a plane to MN right after and 6 days later I still have my sea legs I tried all the over the counter meds and seabands and meclazine, ginger, nothing seems to help. And I have gotten really dizzy a few times. it only seems to go away when Im in the car or if I have been up for a while.

I wish I would have known this was a thing that could happern before I went on my cruise. Worried that this is a permenant thing, everyone tells me that it will pass in time but I have heard of it lasting for years and now I think I have worried myself! has anyone had it last longer than a week before?

Combining your screen name and your post title makes for an interesting mental picture. Anyway, good luck getting your land legs back, or maybe just head back out to sea!

I had minor problems after my first cruise but the second cruise it was taking FOREVER. Turned out we brought home an unknown souvineer and I was pregnant LOL. I know you said it was your honeymoon not sure if you are the female or male but just wanted to throw that out there if it doesn't go away that might be a possibility.

Hello.... This is my story and it sounds like yours too. Went on a 4 nighter and got home. We all had the motion/feeling for a day or 2. (5 of us). They all got over it but days later I was still swaying.. as long as I was moving/walking I was fine. Sitting in a chair was hard as thats when I felt it the most. About 2 weeks go by and now I am getting worried. I looked it up on the net ( worst place to search for info as it gives the WORST CASE first) and then began worrying that I would suffer from this for the rest of my life, as thats the info I got from the search..... It did finally go away but it was about 3 weeks ish. I was scared as all get out. Although I did miss it at night as I felt like I was back on the ship and getting rocked to sleep. I am now getting ready for a 7 nighter and am a little apprehensive.... but going to pop Drama/Bonine everyday and for few days after to see if it helps.... Try not to worry.. it will pass.

Hello.... This is my story and it sounds like yours too. Went on a 4 nighter and got home. We all had the motion/feeling for a day or 2. (5 of us). They all got over it but days later I was still swaying.. as long as I was moving/walking I was fine. Sitting in a chair was hard as thats when I felt it the most. About 2 weeks go by and now I am getting worried. I looked it up on the net ( worst place to search for info as it gives the WORST CASE first) and then began worrying that I would suffer from this for the rest of my life, as thats the info I got from the search..... It did finally go away but it was about 3 weeks ish. I was scared as all get out. Although I did miss it at night as I felt like I was back on the ship and getting rocked to sleep. I am now getting ready for a 7 nighter and am a little apprehensive.... but going to pop Drama/Bonine everyday and for few days after to see if it helps.... Try not to worry.. it will pass.

That does sound exactaly what I am going through, When it finally went away did it pass slowly or did you jsut wake up one morning and poof its gone? I did some looking online and it did frreak me out hearingthat it can last years. I have had it for 10 days so far I feel like its not as bad as it was the first few days. Im hoping it will be gone by the end of the week.

That does sound exactaly what I am going through, When it finally went away did it pass slowly or did you jsut wake up one morning and poof its gone? I did some looking online and it did frreak me out hearingthat it can last years. I have had it for 10 days so far I feel like its not as bad as it was the first few days. Im hoping it will be gone by the end of the week.

I've been on 8 cruises and had problems afterwards with all of them, but some definitely worse than others. The worst bout went on for almost a month (NOT fun), and just slowly wore off until one day I happened to notice that I wasn't swaying in the shower any more.....

Janis

I also have this problem every cruise I go on it last longer.I went to ENT because I thought it might be Mal de Debarquement.I was right so now I have to take Valium before and during each cruise.It helps some but it still last about 3 month for me.

I still have mine and got off the ship last Saturday.

Its better now. I noticed riding my bike helps the most. Just did a nice 20 miler against the wind and I feel much better.

Also helps work off all that fattening food I ate.

I did just wake up one morning and noticed it was over. I did not think to take the Drama/Bonine as I never felt sick from it. I would sit in my chair and literally fling my arms and legs out as if the chair was falling over!!! And in the shower too... leaning back to rinse my hair it was strong then too. I know you are probably alot of anxiety over this... and it could be intensifying the feelings.. I think I did that too. But when you feel it just get up and move around. As you can see in my siggy I am going again...because even tho I had it so long, the benefit outweighs the risk. I will make sure and post when I get back if taking the meds after the cruise and at the end of it helps.... No worries friend!!! It will pass!!

It seems to me the OP has three options.

Drugs - as many on this thread have suggested. I like this and I could recommend even more drugs (and types) than suggested.

Go on another cruise while you still have your sea legs.

Buy a corn cob pipe and develop an aversion to canned spinach.

... I will make sure and post when I get back if taking the meds after the cruise and at the end of it helps.... No worries friend!!! It will pass!!

From most of what I read. Binine and stuff doesn't help it once you have it. Certainly didn't do a dang thing for me.

Unfortunatly the feeling has not gone yet, going on 15 days now, I made a doctor appointment for 2 days from now and have tried accupuncture and prettymuch every kind of medicine I can think of. This really sucks, I wish there was some way to know when it will be over, I am just trying to keep positive and not miss work. The dwaying is less but I still feel like im instable like my head is shaking and I cant focus on anything. I've been getting bad headaches too. I hope it doesn't last months like some of your have told me happens to a few people. But I guess there is really nothing to do but wait it out. My first 2 weeks of marraige have been a bummer though :(

A co-worker of mine had the same symptoms as you. Hers lasted 6-8 weeks. She swore that she would never cruise again. Apparently, there are no meds for this.

Hoping yours won't last as long!

Joanne

Unfortunatly the feeling has not gone yet, going on 15 days now, I made a doctor appointment for 2 days from now and have tried accupuncture and prettymuch every kind of medicine I can think of. This really sucks, I wish there was some way to know when it will be over, I am just trying to keep positive and not miss work. The dwaying is less but I still feel like im instable like my head is shaking and I cant focus on anything. I've been getting bad headaches too. I hope it doesn't last months like some of your have told me happens to a few people. But I guess there is really nothing to do but wait it out. My first 2 weeks of marraige have been a bummer though :(

I spent 6 years in the navy on ships 1/20th the size of a cruise ship for months at a time. If you're having problems adjusting to being on land after two weeks you should go see a doctor as something else is wrong. It could be from swimming (ear infection) or flying (plugged Eustachian tubes). It's not "sea legs" thats just stupid. It takes less than 24 hours to adjust from that, most people have no problems at all.

Go see a Doctor, getting a diagnosis from a travel web site for medical problem is silly.

• 7 months later...

I have had this for 11 days now and it's driving me crazy. Big time anxiety that I have MdDS. I was wondering if the OP has gotten any better? I'm a 28 year old male and this was my first cruise. I've been to the doctor and taken all the normal sea sick remedies. I did use the scop patch while I was on board and had zero problems until about 8 hours after I got off the ship. 4 days of fun seems like a steep price to pay for my sanity after. Any updates on this that could give me some peace of mind would be awesome!

I have had this for 11 days now and it's driving me crazy. Big time anxiety that I have MdDS. I was wondering if the OP has gotten any better? I'm a 28 year old male and this was my first cruise. I've been to the doctor and taken all the normal sea sick remedies. I did use the scop patch while I was on board and had zero problems until about 8 hours after I got off the ship. 4 days of fun seems like a steep price to pay for my sanity after. Any updates on this that could give me some peace of mind would be awesome!

I can't tell from your post if you are still using your sea sick meds but by all means do so. Switch from the patch to Bonine or non drowsy Dramamine. You got to get things calmed back down.

Archived