How to get a table for 2

resordanis

Hi all,

We are new to Princess and doing our first cruise in November. My husband has a major hearing problem and for this reason it is very difficult for us to sit at large tables for dinner and we only go to Traditional dining as we like to same waiters each evening. We ideally require a table for 2, 4 or most 6.

We have previously only cruised with Royal Carribbean and once I emailed the dining room supervisor, and outlined the problem, we have always been seated at a table for 2.

I have looked on the web but can't find any email addresses so that I can contact someone prior to our cruise. Can anyone assist? As our cruise is on the Diamond and for 18 nights, I would like to sort this out prior to us travelling and not once we get on the ship.

Thanks

Didn't see an e-mail address but the Princess website offers fax and phone numbers:

"Princess makes every effort to accommodate our passengers with disabilities, but you can ensure a successful trip by working with us in advance.

Have your travel agent notify us of your wheelchair usage, special needs, and/or service animal before your voyage. Notices and requests must be made in writing and faxed to the Princess Access office at 661-284-4408 at least 30 days prior to sailing.

If you have questions about the program, please call the Princess Access office at 661-284-4521."

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Didn't see an e-mail address but the Princess website offers fax and phone numbers:

"Princess makes every effort to accommodate our passengers with disabilities, but you can ensure a successful trip by working with us in advance.

Have your travel agent notify us of your wheelchair usage, special needs, and/or service animal before your voyage. Notices and requests must be made in writing and faxed to the Princess Access office at 661-284-4408 at least 30 days prior to sailing.

If you have questions about the program, please call the Princess Access office at 661-284-4521."

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Great, I appreciate the information. It might seem not very important in the scheme of things today, but as we now only have room service breakfast and lunch because of the hearing, we do enjoy going to the Dining Room in the evening!

My husband has difficulty in hearing when surrounded with lots of background noise so I can sympathise with your problems. We opt for Anytime Dining and on the Diamond you have a choice of four AD dining rooms. We simply went to the restaurant of our choice each evening and requested a table for two. No problems. Sometimes we had to wait - never longer than twenty minutes and we were given a pager which alerted us when a table was free. We also had no problems in Horizon Court for breakfast and lunch. As you have opted for Traditional Dining, go along to the TD dining room when you arrive on the ship and speak to the Maitre'D. I'm sure that when you explain your reasons for wanting a table for two they'll be more than pleased to assist you. Enjoy your cruise!

Make sure your TA puts in the request for a table for two and when you board, go to the Maitre d' and double check where your table is and if it's not what you need, explain to the Maitre d' and he will fix it. This is not something that can be set up or confirmed before boarding; merely requested. There will be a notice in your welcome aboard Patter where the Maitre d' will be to take dining requests on embarkation day.

Unlike RCCL, Princess dining rooms have low ceilings with good acoustic insulation. They are not the 2- or 3-level dining rooms so noise is well-contained and it's easier to have a conversation with your table mates(s).

I can sympathize with your concerns, my husband is also hard of hearing, and his hearing aids are of little use when there is background noise. I also don't hear particularly well with background noise to deal with.

The day you embark, the Maitre'd will be holding "office hours" to handle dining requests. Check the Princess Patter to find out when and where he will be - usually one of the dining rooms most of the afternoon. Explain your situation to him. If he cannot give you a table for two in the fixed seating dining room, in the alternative he can offer you a table for two in an anytime dining room, with a standing reservation, so you will always dine in the same place, same time, with the same waitstaff.

The dining rooms on Princess ships are ony one story tall, but even on these there can be background noise that gives those with hearing impairments trouble - my husband and I have used our own version of sign language from time to time, and I know he has smiled and nodded, not understanding what was actually being said, many, many, many times.

Hope this helps.

Ginger

A couple of notes:

1> The MDR is open with open seating for breakfast and lunch, a table for 2 should be easily obtainable.

2> Unless you are in a full suite, there is only a limited room service menu on Princess, not the full MDR menu. This will limit some choices.

Great, I appreciate the information. It might seem not very important in the scheme of things today, but as we now only have room service breakfast and lunch because of the hearing, we do enjoy going to the Dining Room in the evening!

As Loonbeam stated, unless you have a full suite, the room service menu on Princess is very limited. There is open seating in the dining room for breakfast and lunch. You should have no problem getting a table just for the two of you. The International Dining Room used for breakfast, lunch and traditional dining does not have tables for two. The two of you will have a table for four to yourselves. I encourage you to have breakfast and lunch there.

I assume that on the Diamond, as was on the Sapphire, that the Vivaldi Dining Room will also be used for early traditional dining. There are many tables for two in that dining room but they are very close together. There are several dividers in that area and if you have early traditional dining I would try to request a table for two at one of the dividers. The divider will separate you from the noise of the table next to you and you will have about 18-24 inches separation from the other table. We had a table (455) like that in the Pacific Moon on the Sapphire and it was reasonably quiet every night.

Have you booked your cruise yet? We requested a table for 2 as part of the booking process. Couldn't have been easier. We had a table for 2 waiting for us every night in Traditional Dining, so I'd recommend that you get one of the Traditional dining times, not Anytime dining.

We're just off the Emerald 4/17 cruise. We had most of our breakfasts & dinners in the main dining room, too, and we always requested a table for just 2, and were always seated immediately -- no waiting.

Thanks all for your replies, they are greatly appreciated.

I did not know until about 2 cruises ago, how much the background noises affected my husbands hearing and ability to converse with others. I was watching him sitting at a table for 10 and not talking to anyone. When I asked what the problem was, and he told me, that he could not hear, even with the hearing aids, we have since avoided the Dining Room except for dinner! We are booked in a balcony and quite honestly room service breakfast and lunch is not a problem, as we generally eat too much on a cruise and if it a limited menu, so be it! I will contact Princess in Australia once we get closer to our cruise.

Thanks again

Thanks all for your replies, they are greatly appreciated.

I did not know until about 2 cruises ago, how much the background noises affected my husbands hearing and ability to converse with others. I was watching him sitting at a table for 10 and not talking to anyone. When I asked what the problem was, and he told me, that he could not hear, even with the hearing aids, we have since avoided the Dining Room except for dinner! We are booked in a balcony and quite honestly room service breakfast and lunch is not a problem, as we generally eat too much on a cruise and if it a limited menu, so be it! I will contact Princess in Australia once we get closer to our cruise.

Thanks again

You really should not have a problem at breakfast and lunch requesting and getting a table for two......just in case something on the menu that day appeals to you.:)

You really should not have a problem at breakfast and lunch requesting and getting a table for two......just in case something on the menu that day appeals to you.:)

Everything on the menu appeals to us!!!!! and with a 19 day cruise I will have to be so careful, so if room service is available, that will be fine. As I mentioned, we just enjoy the dining room experience at night!

Archived