Booking With US Sites & US TA's

tell me this....if you can find an o/s TA that you can book with how do you get by with using your own address....in my case we are elite with princess and if i put in my Captain Circle number it would come up as my address is in NSW....the person i spoke to yesterday from the US TA said that princess would not accept the booking

rkmw

Back to the subject of booking with overseas T/A's against booking with our local T/A's.

I am sure you can still book a cruise on Princess or RCCL or whatever through an overseas T/A if the cruise is not originating from Australia or New Zealand......am I correct?

Plus I still cannot see how a cruise company could deny anyone from boarding a ship because they booked through another T/A. How would they know, and what would it matter. All that matters is that you have paid for your cruise in full, have a cabin number and the correct documentation e.g. passport/visas and then you are free to board the ship.

We are yet to hear of anyone who has been denied boarding for those reasons.

Makes me feel like going on a cruise......right now.....better go back to my researching.

Jillybean;)

actually Jillybean, no, that's not correct about booking cruises which do not originate in Australia- SOME of these online agents will not even book you certain cruises (Holland America- Princess-RCI) which originate anywhere in the world- but, of course, there are plenty of US agents who can still book them. I don't understand it at all, I'm not sure why some will and some won't, some can and some cannot. it's got me baffled.

nope Bob- that's incorrect

hi Marilyn i'm sorry but i was told by two US TA's that we have to have a US address and the Captain Circle number would be ok

your TA must do it different

rkmw

nope Bob- that's incorrect

Because all these 'rules' are made by 'whoever' it appears they are just hear say from whoever.......nothing is in writing, and I'm glad it's not.

What's the difference if you had an address in the USA but lived in Australia, how can that be a ruling to enable you to book cruises via an overseas T/A.

I so want to get to the bottom of this.....I really feel it is unfair.

For instance when the USD was strong against the AUD people from the USA were booking their cruise through T/A's down here in Australia so as to get the best rate because the exchange rate margin was in their favour at that time.... It isn't now.

Jillybean:)

hi Marilyn i'm sorry but i was told by two US TA's that we have to have a US address and the Captain Circle number would be ok

your TA must do it different

rkmw

Bob, a short while ago I booked a cruise on HAL for a friend of mine, she had been scared silly by her local TA who had told her all the scarey-stories about not being allowed to board- let alone that no-one o/s could or would book for her. I wanted to just check, so, I thought before I contacted my own and usual TA in the US, i'd just check that 1800 number and of course, they told me they were unable to book. I then wrote to my usual agent and told her what happened and is there a problem, she told me "no problem" booked it immediately. I asked her (as I had done last year when we had all the scare-tactics thrown at us by RCI Australia) do you use a local address and she replied "no- they have your address and your passport number and there will not be a problem"

so, who knows? not any of us, that's for sure.

I'll weigh in here too. It may help add to your confusion :confused:,

Last month this (below) was posted on the website of one of the biggest USA on-line agents..

"We are able to offer the deeply discounted U.S. rates of most of the cruise lines we represent to citizens of other countries. However, the following cruise lines now prohibit all U.S. travel agencies (including XXXXXXXXXXX) from selling cruises to citizens of countries other than the U.S. and Canada, unless they have a residence in the U.S. or Canada. This is not a XXXXXXXXXX policy or a U.S. government policy, it is a corporate policy instituted by each of these cruise lines.

Celebrity

Costa Cruises

Cunard

Holland America

MSC Cruises

Oceania Cruises

Princess*

Royal Caribbean

Star Clippers

*Residents of Mexico are permitted to book Princess through Vacations To Go

Note: Residents of the U.K. and Australia may not book P&O Cruises through XXXXXXXXXXX.

We are able to offer the deeply discounted U.S. rates of the other cruise lines we represent to citizens of other countries, and have provided tips and guidelines to consider before you book a cruise on one of those cruise lines.

END QUOTE"

My question is, "Will this question EVER be resolved? It has been discussed since last year and we are getting no nearer the answer? :confused:

Go straight to the top, guys - that's where to get the answers? That is, it you can find where the top is? (By the way, I am not trying to be flippant - surely there must be a ruling somewhere.)

I'll weigh in here too. It may help add to your confusion :confused:,

Last month this (below) was posted on the website of one of the biggest USA on-line agents..

"We are able to offer the deeply discounted U.S. rates of most of the cruise lines we represent to citizens of other countries. However, the following cruise lines now prohibit all U.S. travel agencies (including XXXXXXXXXXX) from selling cruises to citizens of countries other than the U.S. and Canada, unless they have a residence in the U.S. or Canada. This is not a XXXXXXXXXX policy or a U.S. government policy, it is a corporate policy instituted by each of these cruise lines.

Celebrity

Costa Cruises

Cunard

Holland America

MSC Cruises

Oceania Cruises

Princess*

Royal Caribbean

Star Clippers

END QUOTE"

and that leaves......??? wait a minute, they didn't include P & O haha- that's funny. why does Princess have an asterisk?

it's very interesting though isn't it...to know some of us are still booking overseas.

well, I for one, will not book locally unless their prices match. I still travel overseas regularly without incorportating cruises and that's what I'll do in future if I have to.

My question is, "Will this question EVER be resolved? It has been discussed since last year and we are getting no nearer the answer? :confused:

Go straight to the top, guys - that's where to get the answers? That is, it you can find where the top is? (By the way, I am not trying to be flippant - surely there must be a ruling somewhere.)

I don't believe you could get to the top if you tried..RCI doesn't even bother to answer emails at all- not sure about the others. I feel it is the Australian travel agents who have put pressure on the shipping companies to try to keep their profit margins high and safe.

and that leaves......??? wait a minute, they didn't include P & O haha- that's funny. why does Princess have an asterisk?

it's very interesting though isn't it...to know some of us are still booking overseas.

well, I for one, will not book locally unless their prices match. I still travel overseas regularly without incorportating cruises and that's what I'll do in future if I have to.

Sorry Guys, have now added the last para to my original post, #486

Dont worry about US agents. Do as I have done for my next cruise.

Booked through a UK agent. Saved a fortune.

So I'm a Pom sailing on an Aussie passport booked through UK agent sailing on (US)Princess ship. Sailing in Europe.

As I stated on an earlyer post. The cruise lines are trying to regulate it like the Airlines. You will only be able to book in your country of residence.

So get in quick while you can still get a cheaper fair.

Well perhaps what we have to ask...

If the US agents can offer such good deals....

Why dont they open up an office down here?

Answer....

Its not worth their time or trouble

as we are such small potatoes

on the Global Market.

Well perhaps what we have to ask...

If the US agents can offer such good deals....

Answer....

Its not worth their time or trouble

as we are such small potatoes

on the Global Market.

Haha.. Yes, we are certainly not worth that kind of effort. In fact I dont know of any "Multinational" agents. Most unlikely to ever happen anywhere in world, let alone here. A Franchise name only, thats about all we will ever see..

Also, here in Oz/Nz our population is made up of many newcomers, and most arrivals over the past few years never want to see, nor clamber aboard a boat again.. :rolleyes:

Dont worry about US agents. Do as I have done for my next cruise.

Booked through a UK agent. Saved a fortune.

So I'm a Pom sailing on an Aussie passport booked through UK agent sailing on (US)Princess ship. Sailing in Europe.

As I stated on an earlyer post. The cruise lines are trying to regulate it like the Airlines. You will only be able to book in your country of residence.

So get in quick while you can still get a cheaper fair.

if I show them my british birth certificate, do you think that could help....:p of course, i don't even have a british passport as i've been here 'forever'

Well perhaps what we have to ask...If the US agents can offer such good deals....

Answer....Its not worth their time or trouble

as we are such small potatoes on the Global Market.

Why do we need an office here? Email and phone is so easy.

Cheers

ging466

Dont worry about US agents. Do as I have done for my next cruise. Booked through a UK agent. Saved a fortune.

So I'm a Pom sailing on an Aussie passport booked through UK agent sailing on (US)Princess ship. Sailing in Europe. As I stated on an earlyer post. The cruise lines are trying to regulate it like the Airlines. You will only be able to book in your country of residence. So get in quick while you can still get a cheaper fair.

U r obviously a savvy cruiser...it's called playing the currency game and if I was looking for a new cruise, I'd be going to the UK to get one also.

If u r willing to follow this path, u will save heaps when the A$ is strong.

Cheers

ging466

Maybe if the T/A's here only worked via phone or email, that would bring the prices down a bit because don't forget every booking made here usually includes a 'non-refundable' or portion of a non-refundable deposit.

Anyone could be a T/A from home with no overheads.

Jillybean

actually Jillybean, no, that's not correct about booking cruises which do not originate in Australia- SOME of these online agents will not even book you certain cruises (Holland America- Princess-RCI) which originate anywhere in the world- but, of course, there are plenty of US agents who can still book them. I don't understand it at all, I'm not sure why some will and some won't, some can and some cannot. it's got me baffled.

According to the US TA I spoke to it was the cruise company(Royal Caribbean) that was not allowing me to book not the TA themselves. Robin

I think it comes down to who you know and what you know as to whether or not you can book with a US based TA for any of those cruise lines previously mentioned.

It seems to me that there has been a fair bit of collusion between Aussie agencies here, and that translates to pressure on the head office to "ban" or make it extremely difficult for Aussies and other non-North American citizens to participate in "free trade". If I'm right, I can't understand why the ACCC doesn't investigate it.

G'day all, Hey Dougo!! you seem to expect a lot from the ACCC, don't you realise how busy they are investigating the fuel companies to be sure we arn't being ripped off? And now you expect them to look into the cruise market :)

Regards Bob

Archived