Booking With US Sites & US TA's

This is the message on a US TA site that a cruising friend & her family & others have used extensively without any probs(they are currently in Carribean on 3-4 B2B's). We have used a Euro site to book cruises also (last one in Dec), again without so much as a raised eyebrow on boarding. The bottom line is price/value for money. Beware the scaremongers!!

G�Day Aussie Mates:

Looking for a ripper good price for your vacation?

P****s Travel has sold vacations to Australians for over 10 years.

Our prices are based on US brochure prices and charges to your credit card

are in US dollars.

We discount every tour company listed on our website.

Please don�t believe some of the Aussie so called discount agency offers.

You lose nothing by requesting a free online quote from P****s Travel.

Just click GET QUOTE next to your favorite tour.

You�ll love our discounts.

Our toll free phone number from Australia is 1-800-******

Australia Business Hours

3AM-11AM Sunday thru Thursday

3AM-10AM Friday and Saturday

Anyone else get an email from a non cc member regarding the above issues? I personally am not going to answer. Surely this person can become a member and discuss this over our site, like the rest of us. Dont want to make an issue of this.....simply wondering if others received the email as well, which was probably done with good intentions.

Jen

Anyone else get an email from a non cc member regarding the above issues? I personally am not going to answer. Surely this person can become a member and discuss this over our site, like the rest of us. Dont want to make an issue of this.....simply wondering if others received the email as well, which was probably done with good intentions.

Jen

hi Jen, i got one but i told the person to join up and get to know about CC but she must have been browsing the site to get our emails

rkmw

I also got the email, and will not reply. I was actually concerned about even asking for the information as I have already received one warning for asking for information in the past:eek:

Really. I will keep this in mind for the future. I hate to get into trouble:eek:, but I can't see why we can't ask. It's not like we are advertising a fact....

Jen:)

hi everyone i sent an email to a large uk T/A today about booking a cruise here is email and their reply

''could you please tell me if australians living in australia and wanting to cruise on a ship leaving from and returning to sydney australia can book through your company. i have heard that the cruise company's wont allow these sort of bookings.could you please let me know weather we can or cant book through you. also if we can book what is the required deposit and terms of conditions

reply:-

''I will be able to book this cruise for you. A deposit will be needed at time of booking and the balance will be due 12 weeks before departure. Please note there is a £15 late payment fee if the balance is not paid on or before the due date. I can take payment from a debit card (£3 charge), credit card (2.5% charge) or Amex (3% charge). You have not stated which cabin type you would like me to price for you so I have quoted for and inside, outside with obstructed view, outside with clear view and balcony. If there is a different cabin type you would like me to price then please get back to me.If you have a relative in the UK and you could give me their postcode then that woudl be helpful but if not I would need your Australian address''.

aust T/A price is $5000, ukT/A price at current exchange rate is $3600 per passenger

deposit is appox 20%

Really. I will keep this in mind for the future. I hate to get into trouble:eek:, but I can't see why we can't ask. It's not like we are advertising a fact....

I agree we should be able to ask. In Tripadvisor there is an area on the site where you can be sent a private email, but not in Cruise Critic.....but they are the rules and we must obey:cool:

Do you all realize that our posts from yesterday from after 11.30am until 6.30pm were removed. Obviously even writing our email addresses out in full is not allowed anymore.

I too receved an email from that person and suggested that she too join Cruise Critic.

Jennie

Do you all realize that our posts from yesterday from after 11.30am until 6.30pm were removed. Obviously even writing our email addresses out in full is not allowed anymore.

I too receved an email from that person and suggested that she too join Cruise Critic.

Jennie

I think we can put our email address in if we just want to communicate with someone, but it isn't permitted if it is to exchange information on travel agents.

Jennie

I am glad they have removed them. Good on you Walt for looking after us. I went through and read the rules, which I admit I hadn't done in full before, naughty me:eek:. Nice to know that the moderators realise we are decent honest people. This is what makes CC such a great site.

Hope everyone is having a nice relaxing Easter break.

I too recieved the email from this person, they were obviously looking through cruise critic, so why not join and let others on here help you? :confused:

I dont understand how they get your e-mail addresses as they are not shown on your site???

Perhaps this is a good time to remind everyone on our board to be a little circumspect with the information you post.

Just before I joined , CC did have a PM message service, but it got out of hand with abuse, and "fringe TA's" trying to drum up business that they had no intention of delivering.

Please remember, that anyone, anywhere in the world can read your post. Cruising is not cheap, and as such we can be targeted.Identity theft is also out there.I sometimes cringe at the personal information that people post.

Even on a Roll Call, I will not post my cabin number for example.

I know it makes it hard sometimes, but there is a reason for everything.

I have booked an Azamara Cruise for December, and that was through the company direct, turned out to be about 100 dollars cheaper direct as opposed to through an internet agentcy. We have since decided we like the Silversea itinerary better. I emailed Silversea and got a quote from their Indian office. It is around 500 Aus dollars cheaper to book through them. They stated that we get a 300 US dollar discount as well as an air discount. I emailed them back and queried the air discount, it is only for US & Canada residents, but is applied to Australian Residents as well. It only means we can't take advantage of the special deal for air, however they still give the discount. I'm a bit confused about that one.

Anywayl, I have since emailed a couple of Australian agents to see what price they are quoting. I have found one online price for this cruise, but every other agent requires an online inquiry (we'll get back to you). I don't hold out much hope for a better price, but i certainly will ask them to match.

I am just a bit concerned about Travel Insurance. For all you people that have booked through overseas agents etc, how did this impact on Travel insurance. I would think it wouldn't matter, but I would like confirmation of that

Cheers

I am just a bit concerned about Travel Insurance. For all you people that have booked through overseas agents etc, how did this impact on Travel insurance. I would think it wouldn't matter, but I would like confirmation of that

Cheers

I cannot see how it would impact on travel insurance. If you are worried, phone or email the company you are thinking of taking a policy with.

Cheers

Travel insurance companies don't ask with whom you booked on the application form. I very much doubt there are any repercussions, but best to ask your company for peace of mind.

Happy cruising

Anna

This is the message on a US TA site that a cruising friend & her family & others have used extensively without any probs(they are currently in Carribean on 3-4 B2B's). We have used a Euro site to book cruises also (last one in Dec), again without so much as a raised eyebrow on boarding. The bottom line is price/value for money. Beware the scaremongers!!

G�Day Aussie Mates:

Looking for a ripper good price for your vacation?

P****s Travel has sold vacations to Australians for over 10 years.

Our prices are based on US brochure prices and charges to your credit card

are in US dollars.

We discount every tour company listed on our website.

Please don�t believe some of the Aussie so called discount agency offers.

You lose nothing by requesting a free online quote from P****s Travel.

Just click GET QUOTE next to your favorite tour.

You�ll love our discounts.

Our toll free phone number from Australia is 1-800-******

Australia Business Hours

3AM-11AM Sunday thru Thursday

3AM-10AM Friday and Saturday

Hi Jane

Totally agree, we have followed your lead and used the European TA too, for our Majesty cruise. Very efficient service, and a great price.

Enjoy your Transatlantic cruise, will be very interested in how you find MSC.

We will be a few days behind you on Celebrity Equinox.

Maybe see you on the Baltic in 2011 ?

Cheers Hilary and Mick

I am just a bit concerned about Travel Insurance. For all you people that have booked through overseas agents etc, how did this impact on Travel insurance. I would think it wouldn't matter, but I would like confirmation of that Cheers

Hi katkell

If u have booked your cruise overseas, Australian travel insurance will not cover u if the cruiseline goes belly up. There is a Travel Compensation Fund in Australia that protects u from issues with travel agents and shipping lines/airlines so that's one good reason to book with an Australian travel agent (probably the only good reason).

Everything else (medical, dental etc) u would be covered but make sure u read the fine print on your insurance.

I'm booking travel insurance when I pay my final deposit (no need beforehand because the deposit is always refundable when u book in the US).

Cheers

ging466

Hi katkell

If u have booked your cruise overseas, Australian travel insurance will not cover u if the cruiseline goes belly up. There is a Travel Compensation Fund in Australia that protects u from issues with travel agents and shipping lines/airlines so that's one good reason to book with an Australian travel agent (probably the only good reason).

I agree that the Australian Travel Compensation Fund would not help if an overseas travel agent went bust before sending your money onto the cruise company. It only helps if you have paid a travel agent who is part of the scheme. Would it make any difference where you booked if the cruiseline went belly up? If (for instance) Princess went bust, I don't think it would matter how you booked. (I have tried to put a 'smiley' but I can't make them work).

I agree that the Australian Travel Compensation Fund would not help if an overseas travel agent went bust before sending your money onto the cruise company. It only helps if you have paid a travel agent who is part of the scheme. Would it make any difference where you booked if the cruiseline went belly up? If (for instance) Princess went bust, I don't think it would matter how you booked. (I have tried to put a 'smiley' but I can't make them work).

There are several insurance policies available that will cover u for Travel Services Provider Insolvency to a value of around $10,000 but this is useful only if u have booked your trip through an agent in Australia.

If u have booked yr trip through a US agent, forget it...but u have saved a lot of money on your actual cruise:)

BTW, when u book with an overseas agent, u don't pay them, the money is debited to your credit card directly by the cruiseline. I like that much better than paying an agent in Australia and them debiting your credit card.

Cheers

ging466

There are several insurance policies available that will cover u for Travel Services Provider Insolvency to a value of around $10,000 but this is useful only if u have booked your trip through an agent in Australia. If u have booked yr trip through a US agent, forget it...but u have saved a lot of money on your actual cruise:)

BTW, when u book with an overseas agent, u don't pay them, the money is debited to your credit card directly by the cruiseline. I like that much better than paying an agent in Australia and them debiting your credit card.

Cheers

ging466

Thanks for that explanation. :)

I agree with your last comment. :)

Archived