Booking With US Sites & US TA's

Over the last week 2 different TAs I was talking to regarding land tours to fit in with an overseas cruise I intend doing told me if I book the cruise offshore I will be denied boarding. Really, that just gets my back up and ensures I don't deal with them at all!

The Australian cruise line agent has such a stranglehold on prices that no Aussie TAs dealing with them can offer much in the way of incentives. Currently the cruise I'm looking at is $1,000 cheaper to book via the US! So if anyone can give further information about Aussies being denied boarding, I would also be very interested.

Now here's a classic....explain these deals in todays newspaper on RCCL.

7 nights Sydney up the QLD coast and return Oceanview A$2286.00pp

7 nights Mediterranean Barcelona return Oceanview A$1113.00pp

7 nights Mexican Riviera Los Angeles return Oceanview A$966.00pp

7 nights Alaska Seattle return Oceanview A$1245.00pp

7 nights Western Caribbean Oceanview A$1399.00pp

Note: ALL THESE PRICES ARE INCLUDING TAXES, FEES AND GRATUITIES.

Notice which is the most expensive by a huge margin per person..... why?

Jillybean:confused:

No wonder there is so many extra ships coming to Australia, they too want to make good money. Actually I would have thought Alaska would have been one of the cheaper ones given that there is so many ships working those waters.

I am not going to get into an argument how about whether P&O is good or bad. I am only telling you what we found at the time.

We have moved on from there and if we only had P&O to choose from then we wouldn't cruise. It took me 12 years to get my husband on to another ship, it was just so bad!

We choose our cruises for the size of the ship and the itinerary. We have just about been around the world, have done some magnificent cruises and are happy with the cruise lines we have chosen to cruise with.

By the way Aus Traveller, I didn't say that the Pacific Dawn had 600 cabins added, I said 500 and that was the figure that I read when the ship was first brought here and put into drydock.

Jennie

I am not going to get into an argument how about whether P&O is good or bad. I am only telling you what we found at the time.

We have moved on from there and if we only had P&O to choose from then we wouldn't cruise. It took me 12 years to get my husband on to another ship, it was just so bad!

We choose our cruises for the size of the ship and the itinerary. We have just about been around the world, have done some magnificent cruises and are happy with the cruise lines we have chosen to cruise with.

By the way Aus Traveller, I didn't say that the Pacific Dawn had 600 cabins added, I said 500 and that was the figure that I read when the ship was first brought here and put into drydock.

Jennie

Hi Jennie,

My apologies. :) You did say 500 not 600. The actual figure is 424 upper berths.

Barry made the point that it must have been several years since you cruised on local P & O, and you mention that it took 12 years for you to get your husband on another cruise. Each to their own, but I think you would find that cruising locally is different now from 12 or more years ago.

By the way, we have done both - cruised locally and from other countries (Fort Lauderdale, Rio de Janeiro, Vancouver and Piraeus). I get a bit miffed when some people (not you) say that the people who cruise on P & O wouldn't do so if they had experience of cruising elsewhere.

To each their own. :)

"By the way, we have done both - cruised locally and from other countries (Fort Lauderdale, Rio de Janeiro, Vancouver and Piraeus). I get a bit miffed when some people (not you) say that the people who cruise on P & O wouldn't do so if they had experience of cruising elsewhere."

AUS TRAVELLER

There is nothing wrong with people stating their preferences, we all have preferences - it is how they do it that sticks in my throat.

Chocolate ice cream is by far the most superior flavour of icecream - and anybody who disagrees with my statement has obviously never eaten proper ice cream!!!

Barry

No wonder there is so many extra ships coming to Australia, they too want to make good money. Actually I would have thought Alaska would have been one of the cheaper ones given that there is so many ships working those waters.

It is at the cheaper end. However, cruises have gone up there relative to other regions this year due to:

- an extra charge that the Alaskan government is charging cruises now

- as a result there are actually fewer ships working there as the cruise lines were protesting the cost and also trying to reduce supply/competition (to keep things profitable given the new charge).

Hi Jennie,

My apologies. :) You did say 500 not 600. The actual figure is 424 upper berths.

Barry made the point that it must have been several years since you cruised on local P & O, and you mention that it took 12 years for you to get your husband on another cruise. Each to their own, but I think you would find that cruising locally is different now from 12 or more years ago.

By the way, we have done both - cruised locally and from other countries (Fort Lauderdale, Rio de Janeiro, Vancouver and Piraeus). I get a bit miffed when some people (not you) say that the people who cruise on P & O wouldn't do so if they had experience of cruising elsewhere.

To each their own. :)

We last cruised with P&O back in 1982, long before schoolies trips were ever thought about. We just found that at that time, we were squashed between the 20-30 year olds who wanted to drink all day and the oldies, around 60+ who spent all their time playing the pokies. We were on late sitting and our waiters couldn't wait to finish with us each night as they wanted to mix with the girls on board.

We had our children with us who were 12 and 14 years and they loved every minute of every day even though there were only about 6 other children on board. Our next cruise was in 1995 and that was a Greek Island cruise which my DH loved.

Since then we have been to many places. Our last cruise from Sydney was on the Pacific Princess back in 2007 and that was very enjoyable.

We have found our niche and are happy with that. As you say, each to their own.

Jennie

"By the way, we have done both - cruised locally and from other countries (Fort Lauderdale, Rio de Janeiro, Vancouver and Piraeus). I get a bit miffed when some people (not you) say that the people who cruise on P & O wouldn't do so if they had experience of cruising elsewhere."

AUS TRAVELLER

There is nothing wrong with people stating their preferences, we all have preferences - it is how they do it that sticks in my throat.

Chocolate ice cream is by far the most superior flavour of icecream - and anybody who disagrees with my statement has obviously never eaten proper ice cream!!!

Barry

I agree, Barry! It is the 'holier than thou' attitude that I find annoying - with some people 'looking down their noses' at anyone who chooses to travel P&O. :cool:

Incidentally, it is not very nice that some take 'pot shots' at geriatrics with their walkers. They have a right to holiday and we all could end up like that. If I do, I am damned sure I am not going to sit home and vegetate! (I'll be out knocking everyone out of my way with my walking stick. :D:D Only joking!)

No-one's going to argue with you Aussie Gal - I am tolerant - you have every right to your opinion. But 1982 is a long time ago and times have changed. I, too, have travelled around the world and met people from many nationalities. I would not be true to my conscience, if I did not say our recent experience on the Pacific Dawn was absolutely wonderful and no-one can take that away from us. As well as the remarks I made before about cleanliness, we were always treated with respect - were never rushed at dinner - nothing was too much trouble for our waiters or our cabin steward.

Ahahaha Barry, ROFL, :D - you're quite wrong there!!! Macadamia icecream is THE BEST! As my Mum used to quip: "All your taste is in your mouth!"

PS: My well-heeled English friends travelled on one of the Queens a couple of years ago and found it 'boring'. Couldn't believe it. :confused:

Sandy

one-off Lido Deck seafood buffet

You had a seafood buffet???:eek: I must have missed that! :mad: Or maybe it is only on particular cruises?

Barry

Barry, did you read your Pacific Daily??? :rolleyes: We would have missed it if we hadn't. Then again, we would have guessed something was on. All the dining rooms must have been empty - everyone was in the queue.

We were on a 14 day cruise - don't know if it's on every one.

Mind you, it was a bit of a let down - I HAD TO PEEL AND DEVEIN MY OWN PRAWNS!!! :eek: My DH does it for me at home. I know.... I'm a spoilt brat. ;)

Incidentally, it is not very nice that some take 'pot shots' at geriatrics with their walkers. They have a right to holiday and we all could end up like that. If I do, I am damned sure I am not going to sit home and vegetate! (I'll be out knocking everyone out of my way with my walking stick. :D:D Only joking!)

I totally agree with you on that one.

BUT...

My gripe is with with the TA's and Cruise Lines,

that make out to the geriatrics

that a cruise is no different from a Rest Home.

IT IS NOT.

There is a lot of walking involved,

just to get from the cabin to the buffet or dining room.

I have posted before of the elderly couple

that did the Round Australia Cruise for 28 days,

and could only leave their cabin once....

as it was so much of a hassle for them to get back.

Yes , the elderly are more than welcome to cruise,

but they should be told what they will be up against.....

and must be fit and able to cope.

Dave,

You are so right and then there is the problem of not reading the Excursion list properly and going on tours that are far too strenuous for them. On most of the cruise lines there are little symbols that show how hard a tour is going to be and we have been on so many ship's tours where the elderly have found it so hard to keep up with the rest of the bus.

I think the Ship's Excursion Office should stress the meaning of those symbols to everyone.

Jennie

Yes David, I agree with that - very sad state of affairs for that couple. I guess it would not be feasible to run 'rest home' cruises. On our cruise, there was actually a man with a mobility scooter (or whatever you call them) going through the Cafe del Sol. Everyone was good letting him go through, but that is the only time I saw him on it. Don't know what he did after that.

I believe the biggest worry is if there is an evacuation of the ship and the lifts are not working. How are those people who rely on motorised scooters or walking frames going to be able to get from their cabins to where the boats are being launched.

Each time we have had our lifeboat drill, I am always amazed how long it takes for people to move up or down the stairs before and after the drill. I wonder if they would move more rapidly in an emergency. I just hope I don't ever have to be in that situation though last year we did have a fire on our ship in the middle of the night.

Jennie

I intend to cruise until that option is no longer feasible but I do worry about some of our seniors...I have taken my 85 year young mum on a few cruises...she is fit but has dementia so I have to be careful to make sure she is not alone etc. One poor thing was travelling with her son. Obviously they did not get along as he dumped her at every meal for others to take care of very selfish and unfair to everybody else who felt obligated to look after her. He did the same thing when he booked her on totally unsuitable ships tours.

Many of the older citizens I have cruised with have been fine but on the 6 week Dawn Princess around Asia...I felt like a full time nurse! So many of the tours were on rough and uneven ground, they were falling over like nine pins and we were met by ambulances at every port.

Perhaps some cabins located close to the elevators etc. should be designated as suitable for people with mobility problems. The cruise line could even prepare some literature with hints for older cruisers i.e. eating the dining room is probably better than the buffet if you have trouble getting around etc. Breakfast in bed if you have stiff joints etc. Others here will probably have some ideas too.

Instead of a lovely restful cruise for some of them it turned out to be too stressful and difficult and unfortunately some of them turned out to be pretty cranky and hard to deal with as well.

I intend to cruise until that option is no longer feasible but I do worry about some of our seniors...I have taken my 85 year young mum on a few cruises...she is fit but has dementia so I have to be careful to make sure she is not alone etc. One poor thing was travelling with her son. Obviously they did not get along as he dumped her at every meal for others to take care of very selfish and unfair to everybody else who felt obligated to look after her. He did the same thing when he booked her on totally unsuitable ships tours.

OH YES !!! Been there, done that and NEVER going to get caught up in that again !!

We were on a ship in 2007 and when we got out of the elevator, we ran into my husband's late uncle's "friend" (around 80 yo). She was with her son and daughter-in-law (in their 50's). Well we just kept running into her and often we would end up entertaining her - boy did she complain about everything. When I made suggestions for her to pass the time - eg Bingo, learning a new craft, reading a book etc - I copped it. Apparently you don't do any of that sort of thing on a ship - she was there to be "entertained" and "looked after".

By the end of the cruise - 13 nights - I came to realise what a horrible, mean, manipulative, lying, demanding, woman she was and how Uncle had been duped by her as well as the rest of our family. The D-I-L whom we got on well with, in particular thanked us for saving her sanity and we've heard nothing more from any of her either.

No one does. If it had ever happened it would have been on 'A Current Affair' or 'Today Tonight'. Even a 'Google' search comes up with only newspaper articles claiming it "may" happen. And ask yourself - who provided them with that information? My guess is the people who have the most to gain from charging Australians twice the price that Americans are charged. The cruise lines can only deny you boarding if you do not have the appropriate visas etc. Their passage contracts (the big legal documents) contain nothing about denying passengers boarding if they haven't purchased their tickets in their home country.

No one does. If it had ever happened it would have been on 'A Current Affair' or 'Today Tonight'. Even a 'Google' search comes up with only newspaper articles claiming it "may" happen. And ask yourself - who provided them with that information? My guess is the people who have the most to gain from charging Australians twice the price that Americans are charged. The cruise lines can only deny you boarding if you do not have the appropriate visas etc. Their passage contracts (the big legal documents) contain nothing about denying passengers boarding if they haven't purchased their tickets in their home country.

I agree with you. A couple of people have posted comments saying they boarded with no questions asked. If your paperwork is all OK and you aren't a security risk, they would not be able to deny your boarding.

i spoke to a well known US online TA on their toll free phone number and mentioned that we have friends from the US and could we book a Princess cruise on the Diamond and use their address and he went and checked up and sent an email with a big NO

rkmw

Yes, but who would cruise on those ships which have been ruined especially the Pacific Dawn.

We were on her when she was the Regal Princess and what a beautiful ship she was with only 1600 passengers. When P&O Australia took her over, they added 500 more berths to her and that ruined that wonderful ship which was the last one built by Sitmar before Princess took them over.

We did a cruise on the old Oriana back in the 80's and there is no way we would ever sail with P&O Australia again. I certainly wouldn't wantto be on a ship with those young single uncouth men and women that P&O market their product to these days. It was bad enough back in the 80's. Fancy not being able to go out on deck to watch the sail in of Sydney Harbour because on previous cruises the young men had constantly thrown the deck chairs overboard!

Jennie

bahahaha!... wot? O you are serious;).. lol

i spoke to a well known US online TA on their toll free phone number and mentioned that we have friends from the US and could we book a Princess cruise on the Diamond and use their address and he went and checked up and sent an email with a big NO

rkmw

I think the important point is probably that there is a difference between official cruise line POLICY and what they actually legally write up into the contract between the cruiser and themselves at the time of purchase. has anyone ever found it in the terms and conditions?? If its only POLICY, then they are always going to officially say a big NO if you ask formally. However, as a previous poster says, its the big legal document that matters at the end of the day, so it would pay to check the fine print if you manage to book as though you are US citizen, and if there is nothing in that document or other terms and conditions, I dont see how they could refuse to let you board. If they accept your payment, and you accept terms and conditions that DONT include written advice that you will be refused boarding if a non US citizen, then there is a contract is place which they are obliged to legally honour, regardless of what their current officaly POLICY is. Although perhaps posters have seen it in the TERMS and CONDITIONS?? that might change things....:rolleyes:

bahahaha!... wot? O you are serious;).. lol

Ripeka,

I am deadly serious. No-one was allowed out on deck coming into Sydney Harbour because they were scared that the deck chairs would be sent overboard as they were on the previous cruises. The doors to the promenade deck were locked! :(

Besides numerous other incidents on that cruise, we decided back then to never again cruise with P&O Australia.

Of course, their product is probably excellent now but they have lost us as customers. We prefer HAL, Princess, Oceania, Azamara etc.

Jennie

Back to the subject of booking with overseas T/A's against booking with our local T/A's.

I am sure you can still book a cruise on Princess or RCCL or whatever through an overseas T/A if the cruise is not originating from Australia or New Zealand......am I correct?

Plus I still cannot see how a cruise company could deny anyone from boarding a ship because they booked through another T/A. How would they know, and what would it matter. All that matters is that you have paid for your cruise in full, have a cabin number and the correct documentation e.g. passport/visas and then you are free to board the ship.

We are yet to hear of anyone who has been denied boarding for those reasons.

Makes me feel like going on a cruise......right now.....better go back to my researching.

Jillybean;)

Archived