Booking With US Sites & US TA's

By the way, I am having trouble posting on C.C. today using Internet Explorer, I have had to go to Firefox. Is anyone else having trouble?

There's a problem with one of the cruisecritic servers.

In IE, if you go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced, then scroll down the list (about 2/3 down) and enable "Show Image Download Placeholders"

Yyou'll then see where the button should be, and what button it's trying to load, although the images still aren't on the cruisecritic server. This setting is global but generally a good thing for other sites imo as well.

There's a problem with one of the cruisecritic servers.

In IE, if you go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced, then scroll down the list (about 2/3 down) and enable "Show Image Download Placeholders"

Yyou'll then see where the button should be, and what button it's trying to load, although the images still aren't on the cruisecritic server. This setting is global but generally a good thing for other sites imo as well.

Thanks for that. It saves me starting up Firefox. :o

Jennie

Just reading one large australian TA that has quite a few stores just dedicated to cruising is looking to expand by 10 stores in Sydney, Canberra, Adelaide, Perth, Melbourne and a few spots across South East Queensland. Obviously they are doing very well in selling cruise products in their retail outlets.

Why is it that an offshore T/A is advertising a 'past passenger deal' on a particular cruise and yet T/A's in Australia aren't offering that same deal for the same ship on the same cruise? Even if the price was different in Aus, surely they would still be offering the same 'past passenger' discount. I would have thought it would be available to everyone booking that particular cruise no matter where in the world it was being booked.

Just can't understand what's going on here....:(

Jillybean:(

Hi

I'm doing the Panama Canal cruise in November and I asked my US travel agent if I needed any visas. Of course they didn't know because they only know US requirements so they told me to call the cruiseline. I emailed the cruiseline with the list of countries and they emailed back and said, "sorry u have booked with a US agent, ask them!!" Ridiculous eh?:)

So have any of u done a Panama Canal cruise stopping at Panama, Guatemala, Colombia, Costa Rica and Mexico ending in the USA. I know I need a visa for the USA...what about the other countries? Any idea?

Oh and I'm not terribly impressed by my cruiseline's service!

Cheers

ging466

We did the Panama Canal full transit from Long Beach to Miami last year on Carnival, bought through a US TA....all our cruises are bought through a US TA.....never had a problem & so much cheaper!......No visa required for any of your ports except of course the USA....can get that through ESTA online.

Have a wonderful time, buy emeralds in Colombia....they are great value!

I emailed the embassies of countries visitng trgarding Visas got quick replies and all seemed O>K. WE are doing PAnama Sept 28th with HAL. HAl said as we were not US citizens couldnt help???

They are both good websites which I always use when I have a query.

When booking through a U.S. T.A. one does need to do a lot more homework regarding planning, visas, flights etc. as the T.A's only know what U.S. citizens need. If you need a T.A. to help you along the way then book with an Australian T.A.

Jennie

Now here's a classic....explain these deals in todays newspaper on RCCL.

7 nights Sydney up the QLD coast and return Oceanview A$2286.00pp

7 nights Mediterranean Barcelona return Oceanview A$1113.00pp

7 nights Mexican Riviera Los Angeles return Oceanview A$966.00pp

7 nights Alaska Seattle return Oceanview A$1245.00pp

7 nights Western Caribbean Oceanview A$1399.00pp

Note: ALL THESE PRICES ARE INCLUDING TAXES, FEES AND GRATUITIES.

Notice which is the most expensive by a huge margin per person..... why?

Jillybean:confused:

AAAh!! so perhaps there is a reason (seeing as how these ads are for RCCL)- other than the usual bashing of P & O/Princess ??? ( greedy, incompetent, etc)

PS What newspaper was that??

Barry

Now here's a classic....explain these deals in todays newspaper on RCCL.

7 nights Sydney up the QLD coast and return Oceanview A$2286.00pp

7 nights Mediterranean Barcelona return Oceanview A$1113.00pp

7 nights Mexican Riviera Los Angeles return Oceanview A$966.00pp

7 nights Alaska Seattle return Oceanview A$1245.00pp

7 nights Western Caribbean Oceanview A$1399.00pp

Note: ALL THESE PRICES ARE INCLUDING TAXES, FEES AND GRATUITIES.

Notice which is the most expensive by a huge margin per person..... why?

Jillybean:confused:

Jill, the reason is that people are prepared to pay that much. While they are, the cruise lines will charge it.

Maybe, just maybe, the coming glut of ships will force prices down but people are so crazy for cruising right now, RCCL and P&O can charge what they like for our wonderful fleet of world class superliners:rolleyes:

Once we're back to the Carnival/RCCL duopoly, the prices willl come back up.

Maybe Star need to bring an NCL ship down here and MSC locate a ship here for at least six months of the year and give it a go as well?

We need to get this duopoly broken up.

pete

Gee Barry, how will that go down with people who are anti P & O. ;) P & O cheaper than Royal Caribbean!! :D

Yes, but who would cruise on those ships which have been ruined especially the Pacific Dawn.

We were on her when she was the Regal Princess and what a beautiful ship she was with only 1600 passengers. When P&O Australia took her over, they added 500 more berths to her and that ruined that wonderful ship which was the last one built by Sitmar before Princess took them over.

We did a cruise on the old Oriana back in the 80's and there is no way we would ever sail with P&O Australia again. I certainly wouldn't wantto be on a ship with those young single uncouth men and women that P&O market their product to these days. It was bad enough back in the 80's. Fancy not being able to go out on deck to watch the sail in of Sydney Harbour because on previous cruises the young men had constantly thrown the deck chairs overboard!

Jennie

Here is a 7 nighter oceanview cabin out of Sydney on RCCL for $1094 AUD

I think that the cruise quoted as a 7 nighter on RCCL from Sydney up the Qld coast is an error - because those cruises from Sydney are 10 nighters.

Barry

We did a cruise on the old Oriana back in the 80's and there is no way we would ever sail with P&O Australia again. I certainly wouldn't want to be on a ship with those young single uncouth men and women that P&O market their product to these days.

I suggest that your information/experience is now a bit outdated.

On the last P & O cruise that I went on in January (Pac Dawn) - the most danger there was onboard was caused by the number of old people and their walkers. God help them if ever there is an emergency!! I believe that P & O would be now more suitable for you.

Barry

Yes, but who would cruise on those ships which have been ruined especially the Pacific Dawn.

We were on her when she was the Regal Princess and what a beautiful ship she was with only 1600 passengers. When P&O Australia took her over, they added 500 more berths to her and that ruined that wonderful ship which was the last one built by Sitmar before Princess took them over.

We did a cruise on the old Oriana back in the 80's and there is no way we would ever sail with P&O Australia again. I certainly wouldn't wantto be on a ship with those young single uncouth men and women that P&O market their product to these days. It was bad enough back in the 80's. Fancy not being able to go out on deck to watch the sail in of Sydney Harbour because on previous cruises the young men had constantly thrown the deck chairs overboard!

Jennie

Totally agree, Regal was a fine ship. We were on her last voyage, San Pedro (LA) to Sydney, 31 August 2007 to 2 October 2007. Then she was given to P&O, added 450 berths (they were doing that on the way over !) Then an expensive refit in Singapore.

Now look at ye olde Regal as P&O - Pacific Dawn - a shadow of her former self, would I sail on P&O OZ ? No !..once was enough, too many party animals and rug rats for us, as you get older you appreciate the nicer things in life, like peaceful ships, no I am not a cruise snob. LOL. Never had a balcony cabin in my life. I was in Hobart a few weeks ago, Pacific Jewel was in port, being a cruise freak, like many of us on here, I spoke to a few pax off the ship, more than a few were unhappy with the standards on board.

## NOW..while I am on here, does anybody have real evidence re the allegations of Aussies who booked through US T/A's being denied boarding ?

We did a cruise on the old Oriana back in the 80's and there is no way we would ever sail with P&O Australia again. I certainly wouldn't want to be on a ship with those young single uncouth men and women that P&O market their product to these days.

I suggest that your information/experience is now a bit outdated.

On the last P & O cruise that I went on in January (Pac Dawn) - the most danger there was onboard was caused by the number of old people and their walkers. God help them if ever there is an emergency!! I believe that P & O would be now more suitable for you.

Barry

Not only did we have the "Yobbos" we also had the Geriatrics with their walkers etc. It was the most horrible cruise you coud ever imagine! I certainly do not want to be on a cruise with lots of people with walkers! We are fit and healthy and we enjoy the unusual itineraries which you certainly do not get with P&O!

Jennie

Gee Barry, how will that go down with people who are anti P & O. ;) P & O cheaper than Royal Caribbean!! :D

I suppose I would have to say you get what you pay for P & O. :p

RCCL are a much better standard of ship in general but the price advertised that I found for Australian cruises are ridiculous compared to other RCCL cruises.

Jillybean:)

Here is a 7 nighter oceanview cabin out of Sydney on RCCL for $1094 AUD

I think that the cruise quoted as a 7 nighter on RCCL from Sydney up the Qld coast is an error - because those cruises from Sydney are 10 nighters.

Barry

Maybe you're right there Barry. I found the advertisement in the Sunday Mail.

We were on her when she was the Regal Princess and what a beautiful ship she was with only 1600 passengers. When P&O Australia took her over, they added 500 more berths to her ................

... I certainly wouldn't want to be on a ship with those young single uncouth men and women that P&O market their product to these days. It was bad enough back in the 80's. Fancy not being able to go out on deck to watch the sail in of Sydney Harbour because on previous cruises the young men had constantly thrown the deck chairs overboard!

Jennie

Come on, that's a bit over the top! :eek: They don't have 'schoolies' cruises any more.

We were just on her for two weeks. The captain stated the ship had more passengers than usual - 1800+ (can't remember the exact figure - abt 1850). We rarely felt crowded, except for a very long queue for the one-off Lido Deck seafood buffet, and sometimes at the Cafe del Sol buffet on a shore day breakfast.

We saw no bad behaviour whatever, although we heard of a couple of reports of laundry rage - a universal problem. Security people were about all the time, but definitely not intrusive.

We met several young people - some young men (21st birthday cruise) were on our roll call and they were great - definitely NOT uncouth.

We're looking forward to travelling on her again after her refurb in May. The ship was always spotlessly clean, and it will be great to see the new carpets and other updates. :)

Totally agree, Regal was a fine ship. We were on her last voyage, San Pedro (LA) to Sydney, 31 August 2007 to 2 October 2007. Then she was given to P&O, added 450 berths (they were doing that on the way over !) Then an expensive refit in Singapore.

Now look at ye olde Regal as P&O - Pacific Dawn - a shadow of her former self, would I sail on P&O OZ ? No !..once was enough, too many party animals and rug rats for us, as you get older you appreciate the nicer things in life, like peaceful ships, no I am not a cruise snob. LOL. Never had a balcony cabin in my life. I was in Hobart a few weeks ago, Pacific Jewel was in port, being a cruise freak, like many of us on here, I spoke to a few pax off the ship, more than a few were unhappy with the standards on board.

## NOW..while I am on here, does anybody have real evidence re the allegations of Aussies who booked through US T/A's being denied boarding ?

I tried to make an enquiry about back to back cruises on Rhapsody the other day through a US online TA, travelling to Alaska,Hawaii then on to Sydney and was told RCCL will not accept non US residents, so I could'nt even make a booking let alone get denied boarding. Robin:eek:

Come on, that's a bit over the top! :eek: They don't have 'schoolies' cruises any more.

We were just on her for two weeks. The captain stated the ship had more passengers than usual - 1800+ (can't remember the exact figure - abt 1850). We rarely felt crowded, except for a very long queue for the one-off Lido Deck seafood buffet, and sometimes at the Cafe del Sol buffet on a shore day breakfast.

We saw no bad behaviour whatever, although we heard of a couple of reports of laundry rage - a universal problem. Security people were about all the time, but definitely not intrusive.

We met several young people - some young men (21st birthday cruise) were on our roll call and they were great - definitely NOT uncouth.

We're looking forward to travelling on her again after her refurb in May. The ship was always spotlessly clean, and it will be great to see the new carpets and other updates. :)

I agree with Sandy's comments. We have sailed on the Pacific Dawn a few times. She has 1596 lower berths and total capacity is 2020 passengers. Therefore there are 424 upper berths. If the Regal Princess had no four berth cabins, 424 upper berths were added (not 600). Even in school holiday time, not all of these upper berths are used. Out of school holiday time not very many 4-berth cabins have four people. Another factor is that the guest entertainers and even a few crew are housed in passenger cabins on deck 4 and 5. The usual number of passengers would be high 1700s to mid 1800s.

Archived