how to NOT miss a flight

ampleiwb

We live in Southern California and are headed out to the East Coast in a few months for a Caribbean cruise. This is our FIRST TIME flying! Our cruise leaves Miami on a Sunday. We are taking a 6am flight out of LAX on Saturday-with a 55 minute layover in DFW and then onto FLL arriving at 4pm. From there we will SAS it to our hotel right near the miami port.

So here is my fear: Delayed flights! We are going a day early (even tho it doesnt seam like it arriving so late Saturday evening (I am guessing it will be close to 7 by the time we get to the hotel) but I am SO worried about our first flight being delayed-missing our connection and being stuck in DFW overnight!

I have already decided that from now on I will only book flights with no connections-but this one is done for now. What I am looking for is advice/help/tips on how to lessen our chances of being stranded somewhere due to airline delays. We already know to arrive at LAX at least 90 minutes early-and we are early people so we will probably be there earlier than that. What can we do? Is there a way to map out our route inside of DFW? Should we have certain phone numbers (of whom?) to contact in case of delays? Any advice is much appreciated!!!

a delay can happen for any reason, but barring anything like a hurricane, or other type of severe weather, you should be fine...

BUT..

I would never book the last flight of the day..be sure you've got some options available to you on Saturday night if something goes wrong.

2. INSURANCE, INSURANCE, INSURANCE.

there is a post 'distraught on the destiny' which discusses just exactly what you are concerned about.

3. PASSPORTS. If worst case scenario and you need to catch up to your ship at a port..you will need them.

We live in Southern California and are headed out to the East Coast in a few months for a Caribbean cruise. This is our FIRST TIME flying! Our cruise leaves Miami on a Sunday. We are taking a 6am flight out of LAX on Saturday-with a 55 minute layover in DFW and then onto FLL arriving at 4pm. From there we will SAS it to our hotel right near the miami port.

So here is my fear: Delayed flights! We are going a day early (even tho it doesnt seam like it arriving so late Saturday evening (I am guessing it will be close to 7 by the time we get to the hotel) but I am SO worried about our first flight being delayed-missing our connection and being stuck in DFW overnight!

I have already decided that from now on I will only book flights with no connections-but this one is done for now. What I am looking for is advice/help/tips on how to lessen our chances of being stranded somewhere due to airline delays. We already know to arrive at LAX at least 90 minutes early-and we are early people so we will probably be there earlier than that. What can we do? Is there a way to map out our route inside of DFW? Should we have certain phone numbers (of whom?) to contact in case of delays? Any advice is much appreciated!!!

Do you have a seat assignment for the first flight? We fly Southwest quite frequently, and if we have a close connection, we always try to sit near the front of the plane. Getting off of the plane first gives you extra time getting to the next connection.

cschultz-I was able to pick our seats on the AA website. I have read that sometimes airplanes let passengers off starting at the front, and on other times it is random-do you know if they ALWAYS start at the front? I choose a seat in the front 3rd of the plane-it was the best available. Is there ever consideration for people who have to meet a connecting flight-I mean I am not asking for special treatment, I just dont know the protocol-do airlines ever let connecting flight passengers off first?

I guess I am not so worried about the 55 minutes-its the first flight being delayed that has got me stressed out.

Relax, you will be fine. There a a million flights from DFW-MIAMI/FLL, you won't get stuck in DFW. And if you do get delayed for some reason, you have plenty of time, you're not going to get delayed 15 hours and miss the ship. With such a well traveled route, chances are you'll get there right on time. Have fun!

cschultz-I was able to pick our seats on the AA website. I have read that sometimes airplanes let passengers off starting at the front, and on other times it is random-do you know if they ALWAYS start at the front? I choose a seat in the front 3rd of the plane-it was the best available. Is there ever consideration for people who have to meet a connecting flight-I mean I am not asking for special treatment, I just dont know the protocol-do airlines ever let connecting flight passengers off first?

I guess I am not so worried about the 55 minutes-its the first flight being delayed that has got me stressed out.

Planes always debark from the front (unless you're in a 20 seat or less plane), you should be fine with an hour layover.

I don't think you are going to have any problems. While you are in the air on your first leg, talk to the stewardess', and let them know that you have a 55 minute connection. They can tell you exactly what gate you are coming into, and which gate you need to connect to. 55 minutes should be plenty of time, assuming your flight is on time. Flights out of LAX are usually pretty good. They may not know the gates right when you take off; I would wait until it is close to landing time, and they are done serving people. There is a map of the airports in the seat pocket, and you can literally map it out ahead of time, so long as you know the gates. :)

DFW is my home airport and can be very confusing. www dot dfwairport dot com has lots of good information. Many airlines call out the connecting gates about 30 minutes before you land. American uses multiple terminals at DFW, but most other airlines are within one terminal. Familiarize yourself with where the skylink terminals are from the map on the website. That will keep you from walking the wrong way and having to backtrack. If you are on American, and have to change terminals, 55 minutes may be a short layover. The fastest way to change terminals is skylink. If you exit the terminal in the traditional sense you will have to go back through security at the next terminal. Skylink terminals are inside of the gate area of the terminal. Do not exit through the security area. One way to know ahead of time is to check your arriving and departing flight numbers for today. If the connection changes terminals today, it is likely to change on the day of your flight. My main advice is stay calm and ask for help if you need it. If your flight is late coming into DFW, stop at the arrival gate desk and ask for advice. The attendants may be able to get you a cart or call ahead and ask the other gate to hold for connecting passengers.

There are no guarantees. However, flying from CA to Texas to Florida, weather concerns shouldn't be too high on your list. Just make sure you have enough time on your connection; I don't like a connection any shorter than 45-50 minutes, and even that assumes I leave the first city on time. I live in Phoenix so we usually have on time departures because weather is so good!

I don't think you will have any problems at all. I live in Dallas and we're suppose to have a sunny weekend. Saturday's low is 70 and getting up to 88 in the late afternoon. Fog shouldn't be a problem either with that warm of a morning temp.

You might try to find out what terminal and gate you will be arriving at and departing from at DFW. There are 5 terminals out there with about 35 - 40 gates per terminal. There is a tram that you catch at several points along each terminal (you do not leave the security area to catch the tram) to switch between the terminals.

There are maps and flight information screens everywhere.

Also, go on www dot dfwairport dot com to view your flight and gate info and get a feel for where you need to go.

Have a great cruise.......I'm jeolous, I have to wait 159 days.

OP, you posted while I was posting that you are on American. On the American website you can check the history for a flight as far as arrival and departure and gate. Just click on the flight status and enter the information. Or you can do the same thing on the dfw site. This will give you an idea of what to expect. On the morning of your flight you can check what your incoming and outgoing gates are out of DFW and make a plan. But be aware, gates are subject to change.

cschultz-I was able to pick our seats on the AA website. I have read that sometimes airplanes let passengers off starting at the front, and on other times it is random-do you know if they ALWAYS start at the front?

There is often an order that they will use to let passengers board, but I've never been on a flight where they formally tried to force an order for leaving the plane (it naturally empties row by row).

Generally the front door is used and thus the plane will empty from the front (I think this has been true on every DC9, MD8/9x, 717, 737, A318/A319/A320, and regional jet I've flown on). Occasionally on larger planes the door used won't been in the very front, but part way back behind first class and maybe a bit of the coach section. Either way, if you're near the front you'll be getting off sooner than someone at the back.

Thank you! you are all so helpful. I appreciate you being nice to me-even though I do not know the rules and how-to's when it comes to flying. I am going to go to AA's website and DFW's website and see if i can find out what gates i will be flying into and out of. Thanks for the tips!

DFW is my home airport and can be very confusing. www dot dfwairport dot com has lots of good information. Many airlines call out the connecting gates about 30 minutes before you land. American uses multiple terminals at DFW, but most other airlines are within one terminal. Familiarize yourself with where the skylink terminals are from the map on the website. That will keep you from walking the wrong way and having to backtrack. If you are on American, and have to change terminals, 55 minutes may be a short layover. The fastest way to change terminals is skylink. If you exit the terminal in the traditional sense you will have to go back through security at the next terminal. Skylink terminals are inside of the gate area of the terminal. Do not exit through the security area. One way to know ahead of time is to check your arriving and departing flight numbers for today. If the connection changes terminals today, it is likely to change on the day of your flight. My main advice is stay calm and ask for help if you need it. If your flight is late coming into DFW, stop at the arrival gate desk and ask for advice. The attendants may be able to get you a cart or call ahead and ask the other gate to hold for connecting passengers.

It's quite the monstrosity...in flight school we called it DFW Intergalactic (because of the layout and weird UFO motif some places).

Thank you! you are all so helpful. I appreciate you being nice to me-even though I do not know the rules and how-to's when it comes to flying. I am going to go to AA's website and DFW's website and see if i can find out what gates i will be flying into and out of. Thanks for the tips!

You'll be just fine, FYI, gate agents and attendents are ALWAYS happy to help if you have any questions, need to find your gate quick, directions, etc!

Thank you. I went to aa's website and dfw website and I think i understand how it works now. I checked my flight #'s for 'today' and understand where I would need to go-so now i guess its just a matter of waiting until we fly and seeing what gate we end up at/need to be at. Thanks again for your help!

I am going to go to AA's website and DFW's website and see if i can find out what gates i will be flying into and out of. Thanks for the tips!

Be aware. Gate assignments are not set in stone. They can, and do, change from day to day for the same flight number.

Some airports have golf carts with drivers to whiz you from one place to another, of course, they accept tips. I find them invaluable to use.

I can't walk long distances, so they are a blessing, saves a lot of time.

Melanie

I didn't read all the other replies, so I apologize if this is a repeat.

Sometimes you can arrive waaaay early and ask whether you can be put on an earlier flight. I've been lucky in that most times, they have done so.

Sometimes the flight attendant will announce connecting flights and which gate they are at shortly before landing.

If there's no announcement, just ask the flight attendant.

In DFW, there's a tram thingy if you need to get to a different "wing" of the airport.

Also, you can check the moniters for your connecting gate. They're all over the place.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!!

Well, I can tell you that my last 2 flights with AA were just that.....our last two. One from MIA to RDU and the other from Denver to O'Hare. These flights were within 6 months of each other. We were delayed both times.......NOT because of weather, but because they could not get the planes to start. Luckily, our MIA to RDU flight was direct, but we sat on the plane for 1 hr and 5 minutes before we took off.

Our DEN to O'Hare flight (we had a connecting in Chicago and had 1 hr 15 min between flights), we sat on the plane for 1 hr and 15 min. When we arrived at O'Hare, our gate had changed and they were calling our names over the loudspeaker (last call for......). One of the AA employees called down to the gate and told them we were on our way. We made it right before they shut the door.

My lesson learned....I will never book a layover flight with a 1 hr layover. That's too close for us now.:)

....So here is my fear: Delayed flights! We are going a day early (even tho it doesnt seam like it arriving so late Saturday evening (I am guessing it will be close to 7 by the time we get to the hotel) but I am SO worried about our first flight being delayed-missing our connection and being stuck in DFW overnight!..................

First of all, please relax and stop worrying.

DFW is one of the easiest large airports for getting around. There is a very efficient elevated Skylink train system inside security that will take you around if you need to change terminals. Trains run continuously around the loop, both clockwise and counterclockwise. The signage is very good so it is easy to see which will be the fastest train for you to take. No need to rush. If you miss a train, another will be along in a minute or two.

When you arrive at DFW, just look around (or ask a gate attendant) and you will see signs directing you to the nearest Skylink station.

But first look up at the monitors to check the gate for your departing flight. Do not head to the gate printed on your boarding pass without checking first because they can and do change gates from time to time.

Here are a couple of links to terminal maps if you wish to familiarize yourself with the layout of DFW in advance.

DFW Terminal Map

Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport Terminal Map

Now as for the possibility of being stuck at DFW overnight, as someone who has "been there, done that" a number of times throughout the years, I can assure you that although it can be an inconvenience, it is really no big deal.

If you should miss your last connecting flight, go to a gate of the airline you are using (inside security) or their ticket counter if you are outside security, ask them to roll you over to the next flight and also request a distressed passenger voucher. (If the flight was canceled or oversold, they should do that without your even asking.)

The voucher will get you a very good discounted rate for the night at a nearby airport hotel or motel. If the delay was caused by the airline and they pick up the tab, the hotel will cost you nothing at all. In that case, they typically give you meal vouchers as well.

Most airport hotels provide a free shuttle in both directions, or you can take a taxi. Request a wakeup call, get a good night's sleep, eat a hearty breakfast, and the next morning you are back at the terminal and on your way.

Well, I can tell you that my last 2 flights with AA were just that.....our last two. One from MIA to RDU and the other from Denver to O'Hare. These flights were within 6 months of each other. We were delayed both times.......NOT because of weather, but because they could not get the planes to start. Luckily, our MIA to RDU flight was direct, but we sat on the plane for 1 hr and 5 minutes before we took off.

Our DEN to O'Hare flight (we had a connecting in Chicago and had 1 hr 15 min between flights), we sat on the plane for 1 hr and 15 min. When we arrived at O'Hare, our gate had changed and they were calling our names over the loudspeaker (last call for......). One of the AA employees called down to the gate and told them we were on our way. We made it right before they shut the door.

My lesson learned....I will never book a layover flight with a 1 hr layover. That's too close for us now.:)

LOL! I so agree! We were delayed on AA 2 hours from LAX on a direct flight because one of the toilets in first class was broken......if we had a connecting flight we would have been screwed.

Another time we were delayed 2 hours in the plane at the gate at DWA because they could not shut the cargo door...... needless to say our luggage didn't make it to San Juan on that flight:rolleyes:

OP, you have a whole day to get there before the ship sails so at least you won't miss the ship.:)

You should be fine, but if you miss your connection you will have lots of flights to get you to FLL. The airline will take care of you.

However, if you have checked luggage, it might be delayed. The airline will deliver it to you in Miami but it may not be possible to get it to you before you have to leave for the port. You might consider hanging around longer in FLL until after the next flight comes in from DFW in case the luggage makes that flight, as this will save you the worry about the airline delivering it to you. Or consider staying the night in FLL and going to Miami in the morning. Several years ago in Florida we chose to go back to the airport to pick up our luggage that didn't make a connection, as we were on a tight schedule and didn't want to wait for the luggage to get to us. The logistics of getting luggage in this situation, in a timely fashion can be frustrating, so make sure to get correct phone numbers if you need to communicate with the airline via phone once you have left the airport. You might not be communicating with people who are even at the airport, for example Air Canada's luggage tracking people are in India.

I would recommend taking a good portion of your luggage in a carry on just in case. Have a great trip!!

Regardless of the airline we fly, it seems like we make up time in the air when flying east. So if you leave on time you might find your layover in DFW might be 15 or more minutes longer than scheduled.

Consider also that you may make the connection without your luggage. Be sure to have your luggage labeled with your cruise info as well as your personal info. That way it will give the airline a better chance of getting your luggage to you if it does get delayed.

Enjoy your cruise :)

Archived